Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What brand of TPMS sensors should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 07:07 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default What brand of TPMS sensors should I get?

So put my (non sensor-ed) wheels on and went to the autox and guess what, yep, about 20 minutes elapsed time the TPMS light comes on.

All fine with the oem's so the system just did what it was supposed to.

Talked to several c6 vette guys so it's either buy a bunch of sensors, Probably getting another rim set so that's 8 sensors, or try the pvc cannister trick. Most of the guys said either way works.

Also need a learn tool.

So which SPECIFIC brand do you all recommend? What sensor tool do you all use?

Links to good deals are appreciated.

Also was told disconnecting the steering wheel position sensor works (shut's off all the active handling but I would be ok on that).

Anyone make a SWITCHED inline electrical "bit" that would make this way super easy? Maybe someone should?

Comments.

Last edited by froggy47; 04-22-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:00 AM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd go this route...LG Motorsports Track Box Tire Pressure Sensor Eliminator

https://www.lgmotorsports.com/lg-mot...liminator.html
Old 04-23-2018, 09:03 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Whatever you do, do not get Dill TPMS sensors. Until a month ago I worked for (Large nationally known auto repair chain) and we stocked Dill branded TPMS. The life expectancy of the sensor was shorter than the part warranty and we ended up giving out a lot of new sensors and a lot of new tires and paying for a lot of tows. At our location we simply stopped selling them. We would install them if you brought them, or we would get a different brand from a parts house, but we wouldn't sell the sensors that we had there in stock.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:57 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by DunlevysZ
I'd go this route...LG Motorsports Track Box Tire Pressure Sensor Eliminator

https://www.lgmotorsports.com/lg-mot...liminator.html
That's perfect, but pricy.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:59 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
Whatever you do, do not get Dill TPMS sensors. Until a month ago I worked for (Large nationally known auto repair chain) and we stocked Dill branded TPMS. The life expectancy of the sensor was shorter than the part warranty and we ended up giving out a lot of new sensors and a lot of new tires and paying for a lot of tows. At our location we simply stopped selling them. We would install them if you brought them, or we would get a different brand from a parts house, but we wouldn't sell the sensors that we had there in stock.
THANKS very much for that. Unfortunate, but lot's of junk out there. That's why I ask you all.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:06 PM
'12GS
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

I bought Schrader Automotive sensors for my track wheels and haven't had an issue with them yet. Only had them a few months so far though. I bought them because it was the cheapest RockAuto sold that had a brand that I had heard of. I bought this learn tool also -

Amazon Amazon

$20 and its worked great for me every time.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:37 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by '12GS
I bought Schrader Automotive sensors for my track wheels and haven't had an issue with them yet. Only had them a few months so far though. I bought them because it was the cheapest RockAuto sold that had a brand that I had heard of. I bought this learn tool also -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$20 and its worked great for me every time.
THANKS dude, exactly the kind of info I need.

You

Last edited by froggy47; 04-23-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:04 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

VDO seems to be a good brand.

I spent the money for AC Delco for my second set of wheels. The oem sensors are still going in my 2008 original wheels.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:32 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Any one have the part # for the GM? I am seeing 2 or 3 numbers as I search. For 2013 c6z06.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:42 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

I think this is right
https://www.cultragfactoryparts.com/...itor-20925924/
Old 04-23-2018, 03:45 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Blue, black, gray, metal stem, rubber stem etc.

So narrow down to metal stem (some tracks do not allow rubber).

Any p/n?

Old 04-23-2018, 03:47 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
Thanks

Old 04-23-2018, 03:53 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

edit - Mine are grey cap, metal stem. I think the body is black. 315 mhz as I recall.

Never hurts to call Patrick at Cultrag and give him your vin to be sure.

Last edited by Sox-Fan; 04-23-2018 at 03:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
froggy47 (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 08:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Putting the sensors in a canister and pressurizing it doesn't work. The car expects to see the sensors reporting more often when the wheels are turning and they don't do that in the canister. Been there and done that and found it didn't work. If you are trailering the car to the event you could take your street wheels with you and place them near the car. That may be sufficient to get you through an autocross. The sensors update once per hour when the car is turned off. That may work if you car will sit still for over an hour between runs. It all depends on when the update occurs and when your run ends since you run into the issue with the 20 minute timer.

The other way to do it is to disconnect the steering sensor connector on the steering column. That will shut down stability control but leave ABS and TC. You will still need to shut off TC but there will be no active handling and you will see the Service Active Handling message on the DIC.

The interesting thing is if there is another C6 at the event that is near your car you can train the car to recognize its sensors and if it is close enough to the other car it will pick them up for the one hour update and if it drives by while your engine moving your car around in the staging area your car may pick up the more rapid updates from the other car. I have experimented with this and it did work but I was running on track about 20 ft behind the other car.

Bill
Old 04-23-2018, 11:01 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Lou at LG Motorsports knows the vettes

Originally Posted by froggy47
So put my (non sensor-ed) wheels on and went to the autox and guess what, yep, about 20 minutes elapsed time the TPMS light comes on.

All fine with the oem's so the system just did what it was supposed to.

Talked to several c6 vette guys so it's either buy a bunch of sensors, Probably getting another rim set so that's 8 sensors, or try the pvc cannister trick. Most of the guys said either way works.

Also need a learn tool.

So which SPECIFIC brand do you all recommend? What sensor tool do you all use?

Links to good deals are appreciated.

Also was told disconnecting the steering wheel position sensor works (shut's off all the active handling but I would be ok on that).

Anyone make a SWITCHED inline electrical "bit" that would make this way super easy? Maybe someone should?

Comments.

Hey Froggy, this will drive you nuts, ask me how I know. Thank goodness my wife is a psychiatrist. Finally I bought the "track box" and bingo I'm done with all my frustration stuff. Prior to ordering, I even called the manufacturer back on the east coast to get a second confirmation. This thing works.
Below was copied off of LG Motorsports site-----
LG Motorsports Track Box Tire Pressure Sensor Eliminator
This is what you have been waiting for.

Remove one more hassle from your track day enjoyment!!!

This handy device will allow you to plug into the body control module of your Corvette and completely remove the tire pressure monitoring system with no ill effects to the car. Great for road racers and drag racers that have been plagued by tire pressure sensor issues for years. No more will you have to face those dreaded error messages or bothered by the computer when you install your track wheels and tires.
This will also allow you to start the car with Active Handling and Traction Control completely turned off so you don't have to reach down and hit the button if you happen to kill the car before a run. Your TC button does still work so you can turn those systems back on even with the box plugged in and running.

Kit comes complete with box, wiring harness, and instructions.

SKU: SKU-2652
$425.95

Last edited by Dirk Miller; 04-23-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:45 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Putting the sensors in a canister and pressurizing it doesn't work. The car expects to see the sensors reporting more often when the wheels are turning and they don't do that in the canister. Been there and done that and found it didn't work. If you are trailering the car to the event you could take your street wheels with you and place them near the car. That may be sufficient to get you through an autocross. The sensors update once per hour when the car is turned off. That may work if you car will sit still for over an hour between runs. It all depends on when the update occurs and when your run ends since you run into the issue with the 20 minute timer.

The other way to do it is to disconnect the steering sensor connector on the steering column. That will shut down stability control but leave ABS and TC. You will still need to shut off TC but there will be no active handling and you will see the Service Active Handling message on the DIC.

The interesting thing is if there is another C6 at the event that is near your car you can train the car to recognize its sensors and if it is close enough to the other car it will pick them up for the one hour update and if it drives by while your engine moving your car around in the staging area your car may pick up the more rapid updates from the other car. I have experimented with this and it did work but I was running on track about 20 ft behind the other car.

Bill
Well chit. I was thinking the canister was they way to go. Why the hell do so many guys tell me, oh yeah, that'll work. Jeese, everyone stop passing along bad interweb info, will ya.

That's why I do my videos and usually say this is what worked on MY CAR, YMMV.

Thanks Bill.

So, BTW, after the event that I could not run, I pulled into my garage and parked next to my oem tires with the sensors and in a few minutes the lights went out. Yep.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:27 PM
mp4659
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Just pull the steering wheel position sensor. I had so many tpms sensor woes I couldn’t deal anymore. Comp. mode is a nice teaching tool but you are beyond that with your experience!

Get notified of new replies

To What brand of TPMS sensors should I get?

Old 04-25-2018, 11:08 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default price comparison

Originally Posted by froggy47
That's perfect, but pricy.

I'd have to side with your neighbor DunlevysZ and here is why:

$426.00 compared to $360.00
4 sensors @ $40.00 each $160.00
1 TPMS reset tool (beware there's a lot out there) $100.00
charge to install TPMS $100.00
$ value for frustration & lost time at track $????

In addition if this works as well as it should, wouldn't we potentially be getting a new video somewhere down the line?

Last edited by Dirk Miller; 04-25-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:59 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I had an email talk with Lou, we'll see what happens.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:34 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
Hey Froggy, this will drive you nuts, ask me how I know. Thank goodness my wife is a psychiatrist. Finally I bought the "track box" and bingo I'm done with all my frustration stuff. Prior to ordering, I even called the manufacturer back on the east coast to get a second confirmation. This thing works.
Below was copied off of LG Motorsports site-----
LG Motorsports Track Box Tire Pressure Sensor Eliminator
This is what you have been waiting for.

Remove one more hassle from your track day enjoyment!!!

This handy device will allow you to plug into the body control module of your Corvette and completely remove the tire pressure monitoring system with no ill effects to the car. Great for road racers and drag racers that have been plagued by tire pressure sensor issues for years. No more will you have to face those dreaded error messages or bothered by the computer when you install your track wheels and tires.
This will also allow you to start the car with Active Handling and Traction Control completely turned off so you don't have to reach down and hit the button if you happen to kill the car before a run. Your TC button does still work so you can turn those systems back on even with the box plugged in and running.

Kit comes complete with box, wiring harness, and instructions.

SKU: SKU-2652
$425.95
Do you know if Lou's box still gives you all 3 modes available? All nanny on/Comp mode/all nanny off?

On a really wet track I do like comp mode, just in case.

Quick Reply: What brand of TPMS sensors should I get?