Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommend me a torque wrench

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 11:11 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Recommend me a torque wrench

I have one at my dad's place a digital one which apparently is pretty good and does not need calibration (or so I'm told)... but I like the feel of the old clicking torque wrenches...

Recommend me something reasonable. I am in Canada, amazon.ca with prime is my friend usually. Canadian Tire (Crappy Tire) sometimes has deals but rarely if ever usually over priced.

Let me know
Old 05-22-2018, 11:30 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Was looking at this one which is capable of 10-150ft/lbs adjustments

TEKTON 24335 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (10-150 ft.-lb./13.6-203.5 Nm)

Amazon Amazon

They also have a 20-200ft/lbs model and 25-250ft/lbs model
Old 05-23-2018, 01:43 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Depends on budget.

For building engines where the tolerances are important, I use SnapOn. You’ll spend several hundred dollars and up depending on specifics.

For general bolt tightening and banging around where +/-10% is fine, I have a couple Craftsman torque wrenches I bought within the last year. They seem fine and surprisingly matched up exactly when I checked them with my SnapOn set.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:57 AM
mp4659
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

for the money, Kobalt is a surprisingly good piece and accurate
Old 05-23-2018, 09:03 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

I saw a few reviews of that Tekton one and it's the best selling torque wrench on amazon with over 500 reviews with nearly 5 stars... I am leaning towards it although I already posted it. Anyone else have experience with it?

Now the next question is a good low jack since my vette is lowered... only way to jack her up is from the diff anyway.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:14 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

TEKTON 15356 1/2-Inch Drive by 24-Inch Breaker Bar
Amazon Amazon

This is a no brainer

But low jacks are in the 300-400 range (CAD) on amazon
Old 05-23-2018, 09:17 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Not sure how great this would be...

Powerbuilt 620479E Xtra Low Profile Floor Jack with Safety Bar - 2 Ton Load Capacity

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by a_ahmed; 05-23-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:08 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
I have a couple Craftsman torque wrenches I bought within the last year. They seem fine and NOT surprisingly matched up exactly when I checked them with my SnapOn set.
SnapOn of today ain't snapon of 20yrs ago...that's just the facts...nor is China. The line between SnapOn and various other brands is coming down to cost and ability to finance at a huge markup...the quality differential is just not there like it used to be.

SnapOn guys who are 50k deep in their stuff don't want to hear it but...it's the truth. I owned 3 shops, built countless engines, forced induction setups and all out track cars...if I have 5 snapon tools I'd be surprised. They make great stuff, don't get me wrong but...I just can't financially justify it, nor the monumental depreciation after ownership.

SnapOn is on borrowed time in their current business model. The only thing keeping that brand alive is their abuse of their franchisees and the fact that if you work in a 10 bay shop and everyone else is 30k deep to the Snap On guy and you have Craftsmen or Kobalt...you're like a black sheep. Great tools but...that company is PRIME for disruption...PRIME I tell you. You get another brand to hit the block like their franchisees, and finance...they'll put SnapOn under.
The following 2 users liked this post by KnightDriveTV:
NSFW (05-25-2018), SouthernSon (05-24-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 02:55 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Kobalt. Good tool, stays accurate, and lifetime no-hassle warranty if it breaks.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:36 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by a_ahmed
I have one at my dad's place a digital one which apparently is pretty good and does not need calibration (or so I'm told)...

Let me know
They all need calibration. Wear, changes in spring tension, etc mean they have to be calibrated fairly often if you are interested in accurate settings.

Bill
Old 05-23-2018, 07:56 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I have an old Sears beam torque wrench, a pain but supposed to be the most accurate, it's 50 years old! Bought a Sears click a couple years ago and the ratchet broke almost immediately. They gave me about four and I finally gave up and bought a Huskey at Home Depot and it works fine. Never had that much trouble with Sears with all other tools combined.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:31 PM
jcarothers
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the one you posted.. on mine, the **** you have to tighten to switch between settings likes to come loose. A lot. And once its a little loose it starts working awkwardly by either not engaging or free spinning.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:42 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
SnapOn of today ain't snapon of 20yrs ago...that's just the facts...nor is China. The line between SnapOn and various other brands is coming down to cost and ability to finance at a huge markup...the quality differential is just not there like it used to be.

SnapOn guys who are 50k deep in their stuff don't want to hear it but...it's the truth. I owned 3 shops, built countless engines, forced induction setups and all out track cars...if I have 5 snapon tools I'd be surprised. They make great stuff, don't get me wrong but...I just can't financially justify it, nor the monumental depreciation after ownership.

SnapOn is on borrowed time in their current business model. The only thing keeping that brand alive is their abuse of their franchisees and the fact that if you work in a 10 bay shop and everyone else is 30k deep to the Snap On guy and you have Craftsmen or Kobalt...you're like a black sheep. Great tools but...that company is PRIME for disruption...PRIME I tell you. You get another brand to hit the block like their franchisees, and finance...they'll put SnapOn under.
Don't recall the OP asking for a rant on the Snap-On business model, just what wrench to buy.

Don't like Snap-On....Then there's MAC or a slew of others.

Some cheaper brands work out, some don't.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:44 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Harbor Freight.... 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch...

Buy 2 of each on sale with 25% off. And if ya need a hammer or breaker bar, there ya go. And toss them out every couple years cause they do lose cal
Old 05-23-2018, 08:49 PM
Stamanti
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been very happy with my precision instruments split beam torque wrench. I believe they are supposed to maintain calibration longer than the rotating handle type.

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-24-2018, 01:17 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Needed some torque wrenches a couple of years ago for the shop. Looked on the interwebs for reviews and found pretty good reviews for Home Depots Husky brand....And to my amazement, they were made in the good ol' USA.

Don't know if they're still made in the USA, but it might be worth checking out.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:55 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Depends what your application is.
For lug nuts at the track, I like the split-beam style. You can leave it set to the proper value, and don't need to wind it down after using it. I got my Precision Instruments brand from Tire Rack. PI might have been the supplier to Snap On for those.
A torque wrech for building motors and general repairs might depend on your budget and need for accuracy.
CDI Torque Products is owned by Snap On but is reasonably priced and sells their stuff independently.
Supposedly the old beam-type is still the most accurate, and cheap too, but rather a pain to use.
Some of KITTs comments on Snap On are right on, and they can't survive on their current business model. I'll disagree about the tool quality though. Having actually wrenched every day for longer than anyone will believe... When you need to use them every day, with very few exceptions, they're worth the extra cash.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommend me a torque wrench

Old 05-24-2018, 09:49 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Whichever you buy just make sure you never tighten beyond the 'click' and always remember to back off the torque value to the first number or so (be it 1 or 5 or what have you - just don't leave it under tension in the drawer).
Old 05-25-2018, 02:15 AM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by bags142
Harbor Freight.... 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch...

Buy 2 of each on sale with 25% off. And if ya need a hammer or breaker bar, there ya go. And toss them out every couple years cause they do lose cal
Mine didn't last a week before the cover popped off and springs went flying. Couldn't even use it as a breaker bar after that!

I had a Craftsman for several years after that, but it just started to get flaky on me, will sometimes spin freely until you jiggle it.

So I bought a Husky at Home Depot about a week ago. The package says "Lifetime warranty" but inside there's a piece of paper that says 90 days or a year or something. WTF, right? So I threw away that piece of paper and I'll return it with the package in hand if it ever craps out on me...
Old 05-27-2018, 03:01 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

If you want one made in USA try Proto Tools. I like mine, quality piece .

http://www.protoindustrial.com/

Quick Reply: Recommend me a torque wrench