Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping cool

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 02:38 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Keeping cool

I am struggling with my dads car and my car with keeping coolant temps down. Oil temps aren't an issue but our coolant temps are. Both cars will over heat in about 5 laps 250+ coolant temps. The outside air temp last weekend was 92 degrees roughly.

My car:
Dewitt's radiator
Pro speed fans
Improved racing oil cooler in front
Evans coolant
Stock water pump
160 degree t-stat
MCM heat extractor hood

My dads
Ron Davis radiator with oil cooler built in
Stock fan
Evans coolant
160 t stat
Evans coolant
Katech hood

What's everyone doing to keep your car cool for a 20-30 minute session? Is a miezre water pump worth the upgrade? Different hood with more louvers in it such as LG? Any other thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:27 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Stock radiator shroud? Stock motor? No reason that Ron Davis shouldn't keep everything cool. Air in the system? Radiator plugged full of crap? Did you just change the coolant or anything? FYI I was having overheating issues just recently after 5 laps, when my car usually runs at 170 water temp. I did what I could to burp the cooling system and it took another half gallon of water. Everything seems normal now but I won't know for certain til Watkins Glen next week.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:35 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
Stock radiator shroud? Stock motor? No reason that Ron Davis shouldn't keep everything cool. Air in the system? Radiator plugged full of crap? Did you just change the coolant or anything? FYI I was having overheating issues just recently after 5 laps, when my car usually runs at 170 water temp. I did what I could to burp the cooling system and it took another half gallon of water. Everything seems normal now but I won't know for certain til Watkins Glen next week.
Stock radiator shroud? Yes both cars
My car: built Ls7
Dads car: Katech built motor with RHS block
No air in the system we have one of those high dollar snap on tools to get air on out the system and pressurize it.
Change coolant: has Evans coolant

My dad and I both were having over heating issues and our good friend with a c6z all stock minus a dewitta radiator was having overheating issues as well. So I don't think it has to do with our parts. I think it has to do with ether it is what it is or changing stuff and trying something new. I am curious what everyone else is doing for cooling.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:08 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls2gtoowner
I am struggling with my dads car and my car with keeping coolant temps down. Oil temps aren't an issue but our coolant temps are. Both cars will over heat in about 5 laps 250+ coolant temps. The outside air temp last weekend was 92 degrees roughly.
First off, I don't think 250 is overheating. A pressurize system (13-15 psi) with a 50/50 mix will boil at about 270 degrees. Yes, you are running hot but not overheating yet. The 92 degrees air doesn't help but you can't change that. What you can change is the coolant. The waterless coolant you are using will in fact run hotter than a 50/50 mix. Nothing cools better than water and you have zero water. You could even dilute the system to 70/30 (water/coolant) for even greater cooling. I do not recommend running 100% water because you need some inhibitor package to protect the aluminum and seals. Be sure to use distilled water to...

Here's why
The following users liked this post:
BigMonkey73 (05-31-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 09:13 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Stock radiator shroud? Yes both cars
My car: built Ls7
Dads car: Katech built motor with RHS block
No air in the system we have one of those high dollar snap on tools to get air on out the system and pressurize it.
Change coolant: has Evans coolant

My dad and I both were having over heating issues and our good friend with a c6z all stock minus a dewitta radiator was having overheating issues as well. So I don't think it has to do with our parts. I think it has to do with ether it is what it is or changing stuff and trying something new. I am curious what everyone else is doing for cooling.
Well on my car I have a big *** Griffin racing radiator leaned forward, sealed ducting running to it, and the front of the bumper cut open to allow more air in. I prolly should actually close up the front bumper a smidge because as I said it runs a little too cool at 170f. I have a 402 stroker detuned to 380whp.

So that's a pretty serious race car cooling solution which you may or may not want to undertake if your car is dual purpose.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:35 PM
heavyzee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark, you have any photos with the hood, and / or front bumper off?

Last edited by heavyzee; 05-30-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:56 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by heavyzee
Mark, you have any photos with the hood, and / or front bumper off?

Nothing with the bumper off, but I'll take some pics this morning with the hood off and the radiator ducting and whatnot.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:06 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

My car:
Dewitt's radiator
Pro speed fans
Improved racing oil cooler in front
Evans coolant
Stock water pump
160 degree t-stat
MCM heat extractor hood

My dads
Ron Davis radiator with oil cooler built in
Stock fan
Evans coolant
160 t stat
Evans coolant
Katech hood

What's everyone doing to keep your car cool for a 20-30 minute session? Is a miezre water pump worth the upgrade? Different hood with more louvers in it such as LG? Any other thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ducting is your friend. You need to force air through the radiator. Make sure everything is sealed up.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:02 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

A clogged up condenser would not help. Not sure if you still have ac...

Get notified of new replies

To Keeping cool

Quick Reply: Keeping cool