Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ask the coach

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 06:08 PM
jtmck
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Adam, what are your thoughts on left foot braking; worth? efficiency? how much experience to learn it?
OH OH I want to hear more...
Old 06-08-2018, 06:52 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by jtmck
OH OH I want to hear more...
I'll bet you left foot H/T!!

Old 06-09-2018, 11:58 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Adam, this is another car setup question but I know some guys like to run toe out up front and some like neutral. What are your thoughts on this? What should we look for as far as effect on other dynamics? I think many drivers don't really know what can be improved when the car just doesn't feel right. Unfortunately, many of us don't spend enough frequent time at the track to really get a good feel of what the car is telling us.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:13 PM
AdamBrouillard
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Adam, this is another car setup question but I know some guys like to run toe out up front and some like neutral. What are your thoughts on this? What should we look for as far as effect on other dynamics? I think many drivers don't really know what can be improved when the car just doesn't feel right. Unfortunately, many of us don't spend enough frequent time at the track to really get a good feel of what the car is telling us.
Toe will mostly just change steering feel and car response around center. You shouldn't really be turning in fast anyway so you'll mostly notice it during quick transitions like some chicanes. More toe-in will give you faster car response, and a tighter centered feeling on the wheel. Toe out will loosen up the steering wheel some, but give you a more gradual turn-in response. Caster and camber thrust will have a similar effect on steering feel, so toe is just another adjustment on top off those effects.

For road course racing, front toe isn't going to make a big difference to times unless you start using really high toe angles that cause drag. I would just set a small amount of toe out and be done with it. It's at the bottom of the priority list. We have a setup guide on our site that talks a bit more in depth about toe.

Last edited by AdamBrouillard; 06-09-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:41 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

How do you properly teach jealous grid girls the braking zone on busting your balllz ?
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2018, 03:09 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
How do you properly teach jealous grid girls the braking zone on busting your balllz ?
I know the answer to this one.
The women must be separated and individually instructed. This can be a time consuming and labor intensive task, but I am willing to offer my services.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:51 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AdamBrouillard
Toe will mostly just change steering feel and car response around center. You shouldn't really be turning in fast anyway so you'll mostly notice it during quick transitions like some chicanes. More toe-in will give you faster car response, and a tighter centered feeling on the wheel. Toe out will loosen up the steering wheel some, but give you a more gradual turn-in response. Caster and camber thrust will have a similar effect on steering feel, so toe is just another adjustment on top off those effects.

For road course racing, front toe isn't going to make a big difference to times unless you start using really high toe angles that cause drag. I would just set a small amount of toe out and be done with it. It's at the bottom of the priority list. We have a setup guide on our site that talks a bit more in depth about toe.

Thanks, I have a particular one in mind that I have been wrestling with at the end of a very fast straight.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:09 PM
Mick14
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Glad I grew up in the Midwest as a kid sliding around corners in the winter and gravel roads in the summer.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:50 AM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Left foot vs right foot braking...

I was listening to an interview with Jordan Taylor, and I was surprised to learn that he right-foot brakes. He said that he actually left-foot braked for a year, but then switched back to right-foot braking after his engineer asked him to in order to lower fuel consumption. He says that now that he's back to right-foot braking, he does not ever want to go back to braking with his left foot.

I'm surprised that there are still a few guys at the top level of the sport who right-foot brake. I know that in one of your books you talk about left-foot braking using the throttle and brake at the same time as a way to essentially alter the brake bias. Do you think that at the top level of the sport, someone who is right-foot braking would be at a disadvantage?
Old 06-11-2018, 12:46 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick14
Glad I grew up in the Midwest as a kid sliding around corners in the winter and gravel roads in the summer.
Even on bikes, the fastest learners are those who raced dirt bikes.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:02 PM
AdamBrouillard
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kdm123
Left foot vs right foot braking...

I was listening to an interview with Jordan Taylor, and I was surprised to learn that he right-foot brakes. He said that he actually left-foot braked for a year, but then switched back to right-foot braking after his engineer asked him to in order to lower fuel consumption. He says that now that he's back to right-foot braking, he does not ever want to go back to braking with his left foot.

I'm surprised that there are still a few guys at the top level of the sport who right-foot brake. I know that in one of your books you talk about left-foot braking using the throttle and brake at the same time as a way to essentially alter the brake bias. Do you think that at the top level of the sport, someone who is right-foot braking would be at a disadvantage?
Most high end series cars have enough adjustment options where there will be very little performance difference between left or right foot braking. They can set the car up to have good balance in any part of the corner. If you have a competitive setup you will always get some occasional oversteer during entry however. If you are LFB you would give it just a dab of throttle to move the brake bias forward. This keeps the front tires at the limit during the correction. If you are RFB you would need to countersteer. The front tires would drop below the limit during the correction. This makes LFB theoretically better during an oversteer correction, but the difference is very small.

Being able to add stability by combining brake and throttle can cause problems however as it might cause a less skilled driver to overuse it. Not only will they be slower, but they will use more gas and cause extra brake wear. It's a powerful technique if used well though.

It's actually most useful in lower series where it can provide a significant performance advantage. Low powered, open differential cars need a very loose setup for a good exit. This makes them very prone to oversteer on corner entry as you approach the apex. Many drivers just end up getting on the throttle before the apex so the car is stable, but of course this is slower than optimal. If you throttle brake, you can maintain ideal balance during entry.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:42 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Trail braking vs straight line braking.

If you know the track, I'm going to use Thunderhill as an example. T8; a fast left hander kink that exits up hill with an apex speed around 98-102 on a Z06 with cup tires. T14 is a slow right hander after the back straight with an apex speed on around 53-55mph with a flat entry and exit.

T8:
T14:

After experimenting many diff lines and techniques, atleast in my setup and preference, I noticed that braking in a straight line before T8 allowed me to go slightly positive throttle before the apex which would nicely balance and load up the car and then drive the car up the hill smoothly at full throttle. When trying to trail brake, the car would get to the apex quicker but it took longer to get the weight on the rear which meant I was slower to get back on the gas or worse, too aggressive trying to force it and ending up with some fun snaps.

In contrast, if I was to do the same in T14, the car would start washing out the front with heavy understeer and I'd have to get out of the gas which is costly since T15 is flat (most of the time) and leading onto the main straight.

For T14, keeping the brakes on even lightly to the apex tucked the front end into the turn and get me pointed. The transition from brake to gas was less sensitive and since the car is pointed, I could accelerate aggressively to track edge without any drama.

What is happening in these corners that favors one braking style over another?

If you don't know the track, perhaps Sonoma/Sears T10 (fast right) T11 (slow right hairpin) are similar in how I approached the braking in a similar fashion.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:58 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

I'm looking more at driving sims. Is it really worth anything if I have a fixed seat setup?
Old 06-11-2018, 03:57 PM
AdamBrouillard
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Robert R1
Trail braking vs straight line braking.

If you know the track, I'm going to use Thunderhill as an example. T8; a fast left hander kink that exits up hill with an apex speed around 98-102 on a Z06 with cup tires. T14 is a slow right hander after the back straight with an apex speed on around 53-55mph with a flat entry and exit.

T8: https://youtu.be/7Mi3p8Y7uOI?t=58
T14: https://youtu.be/7Mi3p8Y7uOI?t=98

After experimenting many diff lines and techniques, atleast in my setup and preference, I noticed that braking in a straight line before T8 allowed me to go slightly positive throttle before the apex which would nicely balance and load up the car and then drive the car up the hill smoothly at full throttle. When trying to trail brake, the car would get to the apex quicker but it took longer to get the weight on the rear which meant I was slower to get back on the gas or worse, too aggressive trying to force it and ending up with some fun snaps.

In contrast, if I was to do the same in T14, the car would start washing out the front with heavy understeer and I'd have to get out of the gas which is costly since T15 is flat (most of the time) and leading onto the main straight.

For T14, keeping the brakes on even lightly to the apex tucked the front end into the turn and get me pointed. The transition from brake to gas was less sensitive and since the car is pointed, I could accelerate aggressively to track edge without any drama.

What is happening in these corners that favors one braking style over another?

If you don't know the track, perhaps Sonoma/Sears T10 (fast right) T11 (slow right hairpin) are similar in how I approached the braking in a similar fashion.
Cars are naturally looser the higher the speed of the corner because of the wheel turn centers. In tighter corners, the higher steered angle of the front tires causes them to act more like brakes and they have less lateral capacity.

No matter the corner, you want to be on the gas and accelerating as you pass the apex. In a higher speed corner like t8, although you have little time to "trail brake" you can still decelerate to the apex. You may have a little bit of throttle prior to the apex, but you are still mostly decelerating to the apex because of tire and aero drag. Check your speed readout. You could push your entry a little bit further, but your entry looks pretty good overall.

It's important to understand that you should always be decelerating to and then accelerating from the apex, but that doesn't mean that is the actual brake release and throttle application points. While in shorter corners, you will typically brake all we way to the apex, In corners with really long entries you often should be off the brakes and on the throttle a bit before the apex. If you look at the speed readout though, you are still decelerating right to the apex.

Knowing how to do all this properly requires the ability to track your overall speed and movement through the corner. The correct driver inputs required will simply follow whatever the car needs at any instant to do what you need it to.
The following 2 users liked this post by AdamBrouillard:
KCblues (06-14-2018), Robert R1 (06-12-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 03:59 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by village idiot
I'm looking more at driving sims. Is it really worth anything if I have a fixed seat setup?
Find someone who will let you try out a high end wheel and pedal setup on Assetto Corsa/iRacing. There's plenty of feedback in there to catch and feel the car without the movement of the seat.

The Fanatec Clubsport Wheel with 2.5 base are really good.
Above that are the Direct Drive wheels which are very expensive. Fanatec is releasing their Direct Drive model in July so that might worth waiting for. That's what I'm doing for now.

Pedals are Fanatec V3 Pedals for good high entry. Then HPP pedals and Heusinkveld if you really want to get car like feel. Since you're in US, HPP is the way to go I'd say.

http://www.hppsimulation.com/7-hpp-3-pedal
https://heusinkveld.com/products/sim...v=79cba1185463

Motion is the last piece of the puzzle. I'd strong suggest finding some sim forums and seeing if someone will let you test drive their setup. The people in the hobby are very friendly and helpful to new comers.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:10 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Robert R1
Find someone who will let you try out a high end wheel and pedal setup on Assetto Corsa/iRacing. There's plenty of feedback in there to catch and feel the car without the movement of the seat.

The Fanatec Clubsport Wheel with 2.5 base are really good.
Above that are the Direct Drive wheels which are very expensive. Fanatec is releasing their Direct Drive model in July so that might worth waiting for. That's what I'm doing for now.

Pedals are Fanatec V3 Pedals for good high entry. Then HPP pedals and Heusinkveld if you really want to get car like feel. Since you're in US, HPP is the way to go I'd say.

http://www.hppsimulation.com/7-hpp-3-pedal
https://heusinkveld.com/products/sim...v=79cba1185463

Motion is the last piece of the puzzle. I'd strong suggest finding some sim forums and seeing if someone will let you test drive their setup. The people in the hobby are very friendly and helpful to new comers.
Thanks, whats a good forum. My budget is around $4500 all in.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:17 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What's your thought on gauging tire usage? Some folks swear by taking temps, but of course that can be easier said than done, others claim it's not worth it. What about wear marks, again some say you should be rolling over the tire right to the ^ others say it's only a gauge. Tire pressure? Etc. Is it just best to use lap times and forget the rest? Might be the same answer across all but I run Hoosier A7's and run W2W. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Ask the coach

Old 06-11-2018, 07:00 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That's a lot, Believe I have around $3500 in my set up. Check the forums, people are always selling stuff.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:09 AM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

https://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/wiki/buyingguide
https://www.racedepartment.com/forums/

You'll need a powerful PC so if you budget includes building a high end PC also that will limit the spend in other areas.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:44 AM
AdamBrouillard
Intermediate

Originally Posted by edge04
What's your thought on gauging tire usage? Some folks swear by taking temps, but of course that can be easier said than done, others claim it's not worth it. What about wear marks, again some say you should be rolling over the tire right to the ^ others say it's only a gauge. Tire pressure? Etc. Is it just best to use lap times and forget the rest? Might be the same answer across all but I run Hoosier A7's and run W2W. Thanks
You can find a good bit of info on strategies for setting pressure/camber here.

https://www.paradigmshiftracing.com/...ar-setup-guide

Quick Reply: Ask the coach