Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil temp sending unit location for LS3 with ARE dry sump

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 10:10 AM
lesrace34
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil temp sending unit location for LS3 with ARE dry sump

I have a LS3 in a track only car with ARE dry sump oil system. I am not really happy about the locations for the oil temp sensor that I am aware of. I was looking for suggestions/recommendations for the correct location.
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by lesrace34
I have a LS3 in a track only car with ARE dry sump oil system. I am not really happy about the locations for the oil temp sensor that I am aware of. I was looking for suggestions/recommendations for the correct location.
Thanks in advance!
Plumb an AN fitting with a well into the return line to the tank. Pegasus racing or Summit should have a good selection of these fittings.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:32 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I use the stock sensor located in the 1/2” NPT port in my oil cooler. I don’t recall if I needed an adapter but if it is 1/2” NPT you shouldn’t have a problem making up a T-fitting with an NPT thread in the middle position. Not sure what size hoses you are using.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:37 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

On my C6Z with a Dart billet 427 block, the only place on the block for the oil pressure sending unit was on the left rear and it was a 1/4 NPT. I had a LOT of problems with the wiring burning up down there since it's under the #7 header and above the collector. There's a 5 volt bus for the ECU that runs to the OPSU and when that gets shorted out, you see all kinds for electrical issues. I had a hydraulic hose made, insulated the lower part of the hose and relocated the OPSU to the left inner fender above the radiator over flow tank. That solved all of those problems.
PM me if you need an OEM OPSU.
Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-27-2018, 03:08 PM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

I drilled a hole in the bottom side of the oil tank and welded a bung for a sensor.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:20 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I just recently went back and forth on options for this as well. I went to the valley due to that being the lowest pressure point than the block and other places (So I was told) im on an accusump and want the lowest reading on my gauge with an alarm built in.

**** Im dumb and cant read. Oil TEMP. im tapped into an improved racing cooler mount. Factory on the "in" port and aftermarket on the "out" port. Aftermarket reads the hot oil. Factory reads the oil after it went through the cooler.

Last edited by Chets LS3; 07-29-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:34 PM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

In all the dry sump nascar stuff I have worked on always took the oil temps from the dry sump tank.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:04 PM
lesrace34
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the input! I found a tee adapter that spaces out the oil pressure sending unit & has 1/8 NPT holes for temp sender so I am going to try to get oil temp & pressure at the same place. What are your thoughts about this?
Thanks!
Old 08-03-2018, 06:32 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Vibrant

Vibrant Performance 10597 Extender...
Amazon Amazon
Old 08-04-2018, 01:12 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Thanks for the input! I found a tee adapter that spaces out the oil pressure sending unit & has 1/8 NPT holes for temp sender so I am going to try to get oil temp & pressure at the same place. What are your thoughts about this?
Thanks!
Where in the system are you going to put that part? Oil temp sensor should measure the temperature of the oil on the supply side of the pump, i.e., the bottom of the dry sump tank. That's where Chevy put it on the dry sump ZO6's. An exception might be a configuration with a thermostat control in the plumbing to oil cooler(s). The oil pressure sensor should be located on a port on the block. On the LS7, it behind the intake manifold and buried under the firewall :-(.

Jim
Old 08-04-2018, 01:38 PM
lesrace34
Heel & Toe

I was planning on putting it in a tee with the factory oil pressure sensor This is a LS3 1988 Corvette track only car so it easier to access than the LS7. My thinking is that would show oil temperature in the engine.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:14 PM
lesrace34
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by CW LT1
Vibrant

Vibrant Performance 10597 Extender... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GF6T1S4?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
That is a very nice looking piece. Does anyone else use it for oil temperature?
Old 08-05-2018, 07:46 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

I was planning on putting it in a tee with the factory oil pressure sensor This is a LS3 1988 Corvette track only car so it easier to access than the LS7. My thinking is that would show oil temperature in the engine.
Where on the motor are you going to mount this?
Old 08-05-2018, 10:01 AM
lesrace34
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jlutherva
Where on the motor are you going to mount this?
I was thinking of putting it in the stock location of the current oil pressure sending unit.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:10 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

I was thinking of putting it in the stock location of the current oil pressure sending unit.
That's not going to give you an accurate oil temp measurement. You want to know the temperature of the oil going into the oil pump. A measurement at the oil pressure sending port is going to be affected by the block temperature. Do you not have a port near the bottom of the dry sump tank?
Jim
Old 08-06-2018, 11:33 AM
lesrace34
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jlutherva
That's not going to give you an accurate oil temp measurement. You want to know the temperature of the oil going into the oil pump. A measurement at the oil pressure sending port is going to be affected by the block temperature. Do you not have a port near the bottom of the dry sump tank?
Jim
I do not at this time, but I can add one to to tank.
Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Oil temp sending unit location for LS3 with ARE dry sump

Quick Reply: Oil temp sending unit location for LS3 with ARE dry sump