Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running Brembo Gran Turismo brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 02:22 PM
67Ranger
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Anyone running Brembo Gran Turismo brakes?

I'm looking at all the options for upgraded brakes for my C5, but I dont see many people talking about the Brembo 6/4 piston kit for track use.

Any feedback on these for track use, longevity, pad/rotor replacement costs, and wheel fitments? I know Brembo generally makes good parts, just wondering why I don't see more people talking about these. I also know there are other kits out there, just wanting to check out everything that's available.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:34 PM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been running the Brembo GT kit front and rear on my C6Z since December of 2007. Brembo rotors last a long time. I have rebuilt the calipers once.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:37 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Ranger
I'm looking at all the options for upgraded brakes for my C5, but I dont see many people talking about the Brembo 6/4 piston kit for track use.

Any feedback on these for track use, longevity, pad/rotor replacement costs, and wheel fitments? I know Brembo generally makes good parts, just wondering why I don't see more people talking about these. I also know there are other kits out there, just wanting to check out everything that's available.
Brembo makes several varieties of brake kits for C5's from painted GT kits to the all out racing kits.

Rotors are in the $500/each range to replace and there are lots of pad options for most of the Brembo calipers.

The latest list I have is:

GT Kits

Brembo GT Kits for C5

and Brembo Racing

Brembo Racing
The following users liked this post:
67Ranger (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 12:02 AM
67Ranger
Racer

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
Brembo makes several varieties of brake kits for C5's from painted GT kits to the all out racing kits.

Rotors are in the $500/each range to replace and there are lots of pad options for most of the Brembo calipers.

The latest list I have is:

GT Kits

Brembo GT Kits for C5

and Brembo Racing

Brembo Racing
Is that $500 for the rings, or $500 for rotor and hat? And do you know if they 355 rotors and 6 piston will fit under the stock 18in Z06 wheels, or do they require something else?

Also, it looks like the 6 piston fronts have to have the caliper removed to change pads. Is this correct, or does the bridge come off?

Last edited by 67Ranger; 08-12-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:08 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Is that $500 for the rings, or $500 for rotor and hat? And do you know if they 355 rotors and 6 piston will fit under the stock 18in Z06 wheels, or do they require something else?

Also, it looks like the 6 piston fronts have to have the caliper removed to change pads. Is this correct, or does the bridge come off?
The rotor rings are in the $500 range and hardware kits are $90/rotor although they have more than one type.

They should have templates for wheel fitment so I will fond that for you. I think that caliper has to come off to swap pads.

Ken

Old 08-13-2018, 04:08 PM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

I'm in the process of ordering new rotors now. I have the 355 fronts. Looking at roughly $500 per plus $90 for new hardware and reuse the hats.

They do fit under the stock 18" Z06 wheels. I don't remember if I used a small spacer of not.

And you have to remove the caliper to change out front pads on the GT set up. Oddly enough, the rears are able to pull pins and change pads with the calipers still on.

I'm actually considering looking into a different setup where I can change pads without removing the caliper. I've had to replace one of the aluminum brackets in the past due to the threads just basically giving out inside the bracket.

Last edited by AtomicZ; 08-13-2018 at 04:12 PM.
67Ranger (08-13-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 11:09 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

I think the reason you don't see much about the Brembo setup for track use is because there are considerably better options available, and that's what people go with. I wrote the piece below a few years back when a customer of ours was asking us to compare our Essex Designed AP Racing Competition Brake Kits to the Brembo and StopTech kits.The fundamental difference between our Competition Brake Kits and every other kit on the market is that our kits are designed exclusively with racing components, derived from the highest levels of motorsport. Our competitors all use modified street parts.

Calipers
Anti-knockback springs
AP Racing has them, StopTech and Brembo don't. People severely underestimate how valuable these springs are. After going through S turns, you'll have a much lower pucker factor in the next brake zone with the springs installed.

Piston Material
Brembo and StopTech= cast aluminum
AP= machined stainless steel
Stainless is far superior at keeping heat out of your brake fluid. Piston Design
Brembo and StopTech use plain, non-ventilated pistons with a flat back.
AP uses ventilated pistons with a domed back, which increases cooling efficiency and stiffness/pedal feel.

Dust Boots and Seals
StopTech and Brembo both have dust boots because they are street calipers. Dust boots will burn up under intense track heat, as well as standard internal seals. As soon as they go on track they essentially lose all value.AP Racing does not use dust boots, and also uses high temperature seals we use in all of the pro racing calipers (NASCAR, IMSA, Rolex, DTM, etc.)

Unsprung Weight
AP Racing Pro5000 and Pro5000R six piston calipers weigh between 6.1 to 6.9 lbs. without pads. Competitors’ six pistons weigh anywhere from 8-12 lbs. in most cases.

Pad choice/cost/size
The calipers from Brembo, StopTech, and AP Racing all have a variety of pad choices. The AP caliper have as many or more pad options than any other brand. The Pro5000R CP9668 offers a 25mm thickness, which to our knowledge isn’t available from any other aftermarket brake kit.

Stainless Steel hardware
All AP, Brembo, StopTech calipers have good stainless steel hardware.

Footprint/size
In addition to weighing much less, AP Racing calipers tend to offer a smaller footprint and superior wheel fitment.

Finish
Brembo and StopTech= painted. Look pretty, but will not look as good after hard use. Paint and powdercoat tends to change color dramatically at track temps. If you're driving through road salt, they will be better protected than anodized.
AP Racing= anodized. Look 'racier' (like what you see on full-blown race cars like C6R) and do not color shift nearly as much under track heat.

Rebuild Service
Essex offers a lifetime professional reconditioning service. For roughly $125/caliper you can send your calipers to Essex and have them rebuilt by the same techs who service NASCAR and IMSA teams. Brembo can rebuild, but I'm not sure how formalized their procedures, policies, and prices are at this time. I don’t believe StopTech has a formal rebuild program either.

Discs
Quality and Vane Count
Brembo, StopTech, and AP Racing all use quality castings that are crack resistant and will last a long time under heavy track use. That said, AP is the only one that offers high vane count iron discs (60-84 vanes). The high vane AP Racing discs tend to flow more air and have a more stable disc face that is less prone to uneven pad deposits and judder.

Face design
The AP Racing J Hook slot pattern is a patented technology designed to evenly distribute heat throughout the disc. Evenly distributed heat reduces cracking, and helps prevent uneven pad deposits.

Disc hats
All of these companies use a quality design and are made from aircraft grade aluminum. Both are optimized for weight and airflow.

Spare disc pricing
Our 355x32mm discs are $359 and the 372mm are $399 each. Hardware for either of our discs is $30. Brembo charges about 40-50% more than we do for iron replacement rings, and ours will last longer and run cooler due to their design features.

Wheel Fitment
Wheel fitment tends to be superior with the AP system as a whole. Also, we maximize disc size for a given wheel size. For example, we offer a 372x34mm disc, that when mated to a six piston AP Racing caliper can fit inside many 18” wheels. Most other manufactures jump from 355mmx32mm discs to 380x32mm discs, and 380’s tend not to fit inside 18” wheels. Our 372x34mm disc offers about 5 lbs. more thermal mass than a StopTech or Brembo 355x32mm disc.

Brake Lines
Both systems came with a high quality set of brake lines.

Summary
Even though our Essex/AP Racing systems aren't the least expensive, they have been proven to offer the greatest bang-for-the-buck. They tend to be the final solution that people go with when all else has failed. Long-term running costs are very reasonable, and they also hold their value extremely well on the used market. The Radi-CAL calipers are a technological step beyond anything else available at any price. Also, I like to think that we have the best product support in the industry. We have the services and staff to make sure one's ownership experience is a positive one for years to come, and we have been strong supporters of the Corvette community for many years.

There's nothing 'wrong' with the Brembo GT kits. They just aren't optimized for track use.

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 08-14-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:52 PM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
I think the reason you don't see much about the Brembo setup for track use is because there are considerably better options available, and that's what people go with. I wrote the piece below a few years back when a customer of ours was asking us to compare our Essex Designed AP Racing Competition Brake Kits to the Brembo and StopTech kits.The fundamental difference between our Competition Brake Kits and every other kit on the market is that our kits are designed exclusively with racing components, derived from the highest levels of motorsport. Our competitors all use modified street parts.

Calipers
Anti-knockback springs
AP Racing has them, StopTech and Brembo don't. People severely underestimate how valuable these springs are. After going through S turns, you'll have a much lower pucker factor in the next brake zone with the springs installed.

Piston Material
Stainless is far superior at keeping heat out of your brake fluid. Piston Design
AP uses ventilated pistons with a domed back, which increases cooling efficiency and stiffness/pedal feel.

Dust Boots and Seals
StopTech and Brembo both have dust boots because they are street calipers. Dust boots will burn up under intense track heat, as well as standard internal seals. As soon as they go on track they essentially lose all value.AP Racing does not use dust boots, and also uses high temperature seals we use in all of the pro racing calipers (NASCAR, IMSA, Rolex, DTM, etc.)

Unsprung Weight
AP Racing Pro5000 and Pro5000R six piston calipers weigh between 6.1 to 6.9 lbs. without pads. Competitors’ six pistons weigh anywhere from 8-12 lbs. in most cases.

Pad choice/cost/size
The calipers from Brembo, StopTech, and AP Racing all have a variety of pad choices. The AP caliper have as many or more pad options than any other brand. The Pro5000R CP9668 offers a 25mm thickness, which to our knowledge isn’t available from any other aftermarket brake kit.

Stainless Steel hardware

Footprint/size
In addition to weighing much less, AP Racing calipers tend to offer a smaller footprint and superior wheel fitment.

Finish
Brembo and StopTech= painted. Look pretty, but will not look as good after hard use. Paint and powdercoat tends to change color dramatically at track temps. If you're driving through road salt, they will be better protected than anodized.
AP Racing= anodized. Look 'racier' (like what you see on full-blown race cars like C6R) and do not color shift nearly as much under track heat.

Rebuild Service
Essex offers a lifetime professional reconditioning service. For roughly $125/caliper you can send your calipers to Essex and have them rebuilt by the same techs who service NASCAR and IMSA teams. Brembo can rebuild, but I'm not sure how formalized their procedures, policies, and prices are at this time. I don’t believe StopTech has a formal rebuild program either.

Discs
Quality and Vane Count
Brembo, StopTech, and AP Racing all use quality castings that are crack resistant and will last a long time under heavy track use. That said, AP is the only one that offers high vane count iron discs (60-84 vanes). The high vane AP Racing discs tend to flow more air and have a more stable disc face that is less prone to uneven pad deposits and judder.

Face design
The AP Racing J Hook slot pattern is a patented technology designed to evenly distribute heat throughout the disc. Evenly distributed heat reduces cracking, and helps prevent uneven pad deposits.

Disc hats
All of these companies use a quality design and are made from aircraft grade aluminum. Both are optimized for weight and airflow.

Spare disc pricing
Our 355x32mm discs are $359 and the 372mm are $399 each. Hardware for either of our discs is $30. Brembo charges about 40-50% more than we do for iron replacement rings, and ours will last longer and run cooler due to their design features.

Wheel Fitment
Wheel fitment tends to be superior with the AP system as a whole. Also, we maximize disc size for a given wheel size. For example, we offer a 372x34mm disc, that when mated to a six piston AP Racing caliper can fit inside many 18” wheels. Most other manufactures jump from 355mmx32mm discs to 380x32mm discs, and 380’s tend not to fit inside 18” wheels. Our 372x34mm disc offers about 5 lbs. more thermal mass than a StopTech or Brembo 355x32mm disc.

Brake Lines

Summary
Even though our Essex/AP Racing systems aren't the least expensive, they have been proven to offer the greatest bang-for-the-buck. They tend to be the final solution that people go with when all else has failed. Long-term running costs are very reasonable, and they also hold their value extremely well on the used market. The Radi-CAL calipers are a technological step beyond anything else available at any price. Also, I like to think that we have the best product support in the industry. We have the services and staff to make sure one's ownership experience is a positive one for years to come, and we have been strong supporters of the Corvette community for many years.

There's nothing 'wrong' with the Brembo GT kits. They just aren't optimized for track use.
Thanks for the sharing. As I stated above I've had the Brembo GT kit since Dec of 2008 on what was originally a street/track car that has evolved into a track only car over the years.

I am at the point that I need to replace rotors and have the front calipers rebuilt (second time). I'm looking at $2500 - 3000 to get this done.

I am considering switching to something else that is more race only where I can change pads without taking the caliper off but also doesn't break the bank.
JRitt@essex (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 05:54 PM
67Ranger
Racer

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex

Calipers
Anti-knockback springs

Piston Material

Dust Boots and Seals

Unsprung Weight

Pad choice/cost/size

Stainless Steel hardware

Footprint/size

Finish

Rebuild Service

Discs
Quality and Vane Count

Face design

Disc hats

Spare disc pricing

Wheel Fitment

Brake Lines

Summary

Thanks for the response! I've been looking at your brake kits as well, since they look like a great option.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:41 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Brembo is just a good OEM supplier as far as I'm concerned. Not bad, just not as good as others.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:34 AM
ferrmaro
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicZ
Thanks for the sharing. As I stated above I've had the Brembo GT kit since Dec of 2008 on what was originally a street/track car that has evolved into a track only car over the years.

I am at the point that I need to replace rotors and have the front calipers rebuilt (second time). I'm looking at $2500 - 3000 to get this done.

I am considering switching to something else that is more race only where I can change pads without taking the caliper off but also doesn't break the bank.
While it's hard to argue against AP/Essex as the most complete, reliable, and cost effective (in the long run) brake kit on the market for Corvette today, I will shed a little light on Brembo's latest offering since you're already familiar with the brand. The new "GT-S" caliper now has many upgraded components to make it more suitable to track time. Stainless steel pistons with radiators, internal dust seals with no boots, and hard anodized bodies are all integrated into this new caliper. On top of that, it is completely interchangeable with the ancillaries you have already (brake lines, brackets, etc.) It is definitely a nice piece and deserves some consideration. Do you have to remove to replace pads still? Yes. Are rotor replacements more expensive still? Yes. Will you receive the same great customer service and ease of contact that we enjoy with JRitt? Highly doubt it. Either way, it's another option for you. Let us know what you end up going with! Good luck.
Here's a link to some more information.

JRitt@essex (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 10:08 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by ferrmaro
While it's hard to argue against AP/Essex as the most complete, reliable, and cost effective (in the long run) brake kit on the market for Corvette today, I will shed a little light on Brembo's latest offering since you're already familiar with the brand. The new "GT-S" caliper now has many upgraded components to make it more suitable to track time. Stainless steel pistons with radiators, internal dust seals with no boots, and hard anodized bodies are all integrated into this new caliper. On top of that, it is completely interchangeable with the ancillaries you have already (brake lines, brackets, etc.) It is definitely a nice piece and deserves some consideration. Do you have to remove to replace pads still? Yes. Are rotor replacements more expensive still? Yes. Will you receive the same great customer service and ease of contact that we enjoy with JRitt? Highly doubt it. Either way, it's another option for you. Let us know what you end up going with! Good luck.
Here's a link to some more information.

There are other racing brembo calipers as well and they are certainly not trash.

AP has the painted/street 'big brake kits' just like Brembo does. Call Stillen and enjoy!?

The smart thing that Jritt did was select racing parts for what is essentially racing use and having plenty of it. He also helps dealers like myself and others with information and support so we can also sell, support and use the AP parts.

Long time ago I heard Brembo owns AP - wonder if that is true?

Old 08-15-2018, 02:05 PM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
There are other racing brembo calipers as well and they are certainly not trash.

AP has the painted/street 'big brake kits' just like Brembo does. Call Stillen and enjoy!?

The smart thing that Jritt did was select racing parts for what is essentially racing use and having plenty of it. He also helps dealers like myself and others with information and support so we can also sell, support and use the AP parts.

Long time ago I heard Brembo owns AP - wonder if that is true?
Brembo and AP have common ownership. Not sure if one owns the other.
KNSBrakes (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 05:07 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicZ
Brembo and AP have common ownership. Not sure if one owns the other.
Brembo owns AP Racing but they are allowed to operate independently - they actually want to compete against each other to push each other to innovate new brake technologies.

In my opinion Brembo makes the best rotors on the market, weather due to metallurgy or design those things last longer than anything else I've seen (which includes Coleman, Wilwood, AP, StopTech and RB.)

Now that being said for a replacement 355 x 32 mm rotor runs right around $500 each - compared to the $350 for an AP rotor.

Also I've found Brembo to be a complete pain in the a$$ to deal with - it takes forever to get anything from them and you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get replacement parts or any information.
All in all Brembo makes some really good stuff, but there are just some better options out there - better price, better options - easier to use etc. YMMV

Last edited by 96CollectorSport; 08-16-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:41 PM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Brembo owns AP Racing but they are allowed to operate independently - they actually want to compete against each other to push each other to innovate brake technologies.

In my opinion Brembo makes the best rotors on the market, weather due to metallurgy or design those things last longer than anything else I've seen (which includes Coleman, Wilwood, AP, StopTech and RB.)

Now that being said for a replacement 355 x 32 mm rotor runs right around $500 each - compared to the $350 for an AP rotor.

Also I've found Brembo to be a complete pain in the a$$ to deal with - it takes forever to get anything from them and you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get replacement parts or any information.
All in all Brembo makes some really good stuff, but there are just some better options out there - better price, better options - easier to use etc. YMMV
I've been more than happy with my rotors from Brembo. I also have been happy with the calipers overall but as my car has progressed to a dedicated track car and never sees the street I am ready to look into better full race options.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:05 PM
Lasco001
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Brembo is just a good OEM supplier as far as I'm concerned. Not bad, just not as good as others.
I can not confirm that soo.
Brembo also has very good race braking systems.
The selection is very large, as many confuse one with the other.

Brembo Gran Turismo is not a race brake system, but is a sport brake for the road.

I've been driving the cup pliers on all my cars for years, the system works perfectly
By the way, The Corvette C6 and C7 GT3 as well as 90% of Porsche Race Car drive Brembo

Then something else
I know a lot of racing teams who have previously driven Alcon and AP discs.
All have switched to Brembo discs

Personally, I drove the AP earlier, but always had the discs broken.
Now I drive my C5 Race Car / ZR1 Track Car and C7 Z06 green beast Brembo Disc.
Result, all my customers and I are happy

Cölestin
67Ranger (08-16-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone running Brembo Gran Turismo brakes?

Quick Reply: Anyone running Brembo Gran Turismo brakes?