Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailers

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 11:20 AM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Trailers

Guess, this would be the best place to inquire. Anyone have experience with RNR alum trailers? They seem to have a very reasonable price. Am interested in getting an affordable trailer to take the C7 to the track. With all the horror stories out there, I'd hate to drive to an event and not be able to drive home!

Also, found a neat trailer called a Kwik Load, any experience with these?

Last edited by AKKutz; 08-14-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:53 PM
RX82Z06
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AKKutz
Guess, this would be the best place to inquire. Anyone have experience with RNR alum trailers? They seem to have a very reasonable price. Am interested in getting an affordable trailer to take the C7 to the track. With all the horror stories out there, I'd hate to drive to an event and not be able to drive home!

I have a 18’ Kwik-Load. It was the only trailer that would easily load my C6 with LG splitter as well as make it up my 30deg driveway in reverse with plenty of clearance. The roll-back/tilt feature let’s you achieve a very low angle for lowered vehicles, with race ramps I’m at 5deg. Very sturdy trailer, but it is 2,000lbs.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:43 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Al Chan has had an RNR for about 14 years and he has never had any trouble that I can recall. He occasionally is on this forum and can give you more info. I have talked to several owners of the RNR at various events and they all liked them. I have been debating about getting an open trailer and it is very high on my list to look at. The 1400lbs weight makes it rather easy to tow with on most true SUV/pickups.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:16 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

My dad bought a 20' RNR trailer a couple of years ago. I get to use it as he has an enclosed trailer also that he tows behind his motor home. The RNR is a good trailer. The cons to it are: the ramps are heavy and you have to carry them from the front of the trailer to the back, also the rear of the trailer drags on the ground. I would advise getting some skid plates or rollers for the back of the trailer. Other than those two issues, the trailer works very well. I have loaded my 76, 91, dad's 90ZR-1 and my brother's 04 Z06 onto the trailer with no issues. I have not loaded a C7 onto it so i can't comment on how well it fits or the approach angle to the trailer.
The following users liked this post:
AKKutz (08-18-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 10:17 PM
fore
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for Kwik Load. Makes loading a low car easy. Add couple boards to add to comfort level.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:06 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Look into the Feutura trailers. I have one and its awesome. It lowers its self to the ground , less than one inch to the ground.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:27 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by AKKutz

Can't speak to the brand, but concentrate on where the components are made. Good manufacturers use quality axles like made in USA Dexter. No name Chinese tires are another no no, Maaxis and Goodyear Marathons are supposed to be the best right now, but the Marathons aren't US made any more either. My brother asked the dealer he bought from if he was getting Dexter axles, the guy said yes--only to find out later he got cheap Chinese axles--lesson there. He said when he greases the bearings, the excess grease dumps into the brake drums--nice! If it has good components, the sum of the parts is probably good too.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:40 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

I have had an RNR for several years. It has been from NC to the NCM at least 20 times, to Sebring several and Slummit point (intentionally mispelled). Never one issue, and on my third set of tires, which go from weather checking not end of useful life. They have Dexter torsion axles (one of the premium axle makers) which allow a really low profile on the trailer and although the front splitter just touches, but not enough to cause damage. This is with the factory ramps.

The one thing I wish I had gotten were stake pockets so I could use the trailer for hauling mulch once in a while.

I had to go to Michigan to get mine, but it was not a bad trip. I haul it with a Yukon 5.3/6spd auto,tow package no problems.

Last edited by k24556; 10-01-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:54 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordy M
Al Chan has had an RNR for about 14 years and he has never had any trouble that I can recall. He occasionally is on this forum and can give you more info. I have talked to several owners of the RNR at various events and they all liked them. I have been debating about getting an open trailer and it is very high on my list to look at. The 1400lbs weight makes it rather easy to tow with on most true SUV/pickups.
Late to this thread.

Gordy is correct, I have had my RnR since 2004. I used it heavily about half the years and the other years it just sat. I just lent it to a friend this past weekend for him to trailer his C7 to a track day and he liked it.

Mine tows nicely. No bars needed probably because the distance from the ball mount to the axles is nice and long. It’s a 20’ model and I have a 2000 Tahoe, although I have also used a variety of 2004 to 2011 GM full size pickups and SUVs. Mine has about 45k miles on it. No issues at all and I would gladly buy another one if I needed to replace mine.

Yes the ramps are heavy, but they also double as a front stone guard. As mentioned by another poster, Dexter axles come on the trailer.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:00 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Oh, a learning from my friend that borrow my trailer for his C7. His front splitter just brushes during loading and unloading. He has a RnR on order and asked to have the ramps extended to 7’. They are 6’ from the factory. To avoid any scraping, I put a board under the end of the ramp. No issues after doing this. I have towed both a C5Z and a C6Z, both lowered on factory bolts. Also a Solstice Z0K, without issues.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:58 AM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't have any experience with the trailers listed. I was looking for single car trailer for those quick trips or taking the car somewhere to get worked on etc. I ended up with a Max XD drop n load trailer.

The reasons I jumped on it:
Air ride suspension
Click of a button to drop the trailer takes zero effort to raise and lower
Easy to load
While driving the trailer is super smooth since it is 100% air ride and won't beat the crap out of my suspension.
No ramps to pick up, move around or have stolen(yes it happened with the last trailer)

I bought the 10k which was a little more expensive but figured if I would rather have the higher rated one just in case I ever had to throw a truck on it or something I would rather go over killer than under.

Last edited by Ls2gtoowner; 10-13-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:46 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

You don't want a trailer unless your car is too modded for the street on dot race tires. Having your own trailer for a wrecked car is no advantage. Any money you save on the tow owning the trailer is far and away outstripped by the wear and tear on your tow vehicle, trailer cost, increase fuel costs, and general hassles of owning a trailer like where to store it and costs to maintain it. For a streetcar you increase your risks on faster tires especially without increase in safety gear. The new crop of 200 TWR tires are very good and keep your ultimate speeds down if you are going full cage fire system etc...
Old 10-13-2018, 08:08 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
You don't want a trailer unless your car is too modded for the street on dot race tires. Having your own trailer for a wrecked car is no advantage. Any money you save on the tow owning the trailer is far and away outstripped by the wear and tear on your tow vehicle, trailer cost, increase fuel costs, and general hassles of owning a trailer like where to store it and costs to maintain it. For a streetcar you increase your risks on faster tires especially without increase in safety gear. The new crop of 200 TWR tires are very good and keep your ultimate speeds down if you are going full cage fire system etc...
Very true!
I made the full circle from street car, driven to/from the track, to trailering a race car on an open trailer, on to an enclosed trailer, then back to open, and now appreciating the simplicity of just driving a car to the track.
My last open trailer was a Kwik-Load. The awesomest invention ever! I needed some short extension ramps to clear the splitter on my M3, would probably need them for the Z06 as well.
Some piece of sh*t stole it from the storage lot... I'll be buying another as soon as I can find better storage.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:36 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,200 Posts

Add a winch to whatever trailer you get. Harbor Freight 12,000lb is hard to beat for the price. Overkill? Maybe but who cares LOL.

I've only used a winch twice but pushing a car onto an open trailer is NOT something I would ever want to do.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:54 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Very true!
I made the full circle from street car, driven to/from the track, to trailering a race car on an open trailer, on to an enclosed trailer, then back to open, and now appreciating the simplicity of just driving a car to the track.
My last open trailer was a Kwik-Load. The awesomest invention ever! I needed some short extension ramps to clear the splitter on my M3, would probably need them for the Z06 as well.
Some piece of sh*t stole it from the storage lot... I'll be buying another as soon as I can find better storage.
Same thing keeping me from buying another trailer, mine was stolen and until I can figure out a better storage option I'm sticking with street rubber.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailers

Quick Reply: Trailers