Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sintered pads on CCB rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 09:01 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Default Sintered pads on CCB rotors

Before everyone says, "only use OEM pads on your OEM brakes..." know that I am not interested as I am aware of the potential issues any aftermarket pad can have with CCB rotors. That said, has anyone (preferably those in the track community, which is why I'm posting here instead of the C7Z section who mostly don't race their cars) had any experience or first-hand knowledge with using sintered pads on carbon ceramic matrix rotors? This is specifically for a C7 Z06, but the C6Z would obviously apply.

Racing Brake offers a pad that they claim "heals" the pocked/pitted ceramic rotors by basically putting a transfer layer down, which fills the prior damage and then claims to extend rotor life. I just recently removed my entire AP Racing set up front/rear, and reinstalled my OEM carbon ceramics to do some testing in attempts to defeat ICE mode on autocross and speedstop (road course is not an issue). Lots of googling led me to discover RB sintered pads on a variety of applications from Viper, Focus RS and a GT350. It does not appear to just be biased marketing attempts, even Werks on here seemed to be involved to some degree (I've PM'd him to try and get more detailed info.)

I'm not necessarily afraid of ruining my OEM rotors if this is a test gone wrong, although I'd rather not **** more money away.

I'm also not entire convinced these pads will actually help with ICE mode in an autocross or speedstop situation (Optima Ultimate Street Car Series) as the Mu is pretty high on these pads (XT40s is what I plan to try.)

Here are several threads I've been reading if anyone cares to follow along.
http://www.gtrheritage.com/topic/671...cmcarbon-pads/

https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...CCM-Brake-Pads

https://trackmustangsonline.com/thre...eyre-on.12573/

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9997...ccb-kit-3.html

Thoughts? It is a pad, if they don't perform as I would like, they are obviously super easy to swap out, I'm just concerned about the transfer layer it puts on top of the carbon rotor. First, I think I will go back to testing the stock ACDelco pads first with the CCBs, and if I have no ICE mode issues, swap in the RB pads and go forward from there. Ultimately, I'm trying to get a brake set up I can trust 100% of the time, and I don't have that with my AP kit/pad combo, and I've tried probably 10 different pad compounds at this point, finally settling on a discontinued PFC compound that works 80-85% of the time. If I only did road course events/time attack, the AP set up is absolutely the better choice, and I would have never removed it.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:39 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I sent you a PM back with additional detail but in a nutshell, for serious track use I'd recommend that you stay away from their sintered pads as you will more than likely exceed the friction materials operating temperautre range. Especially now that I'm look at your picture and see that you drive a C7Z as those from what I've seen on the forums seem to experience more heat related brake issues with their CCM's than the C6Z's do anyways.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:47 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Thanks Ron! I just sent you a quick reply, but your detailed PM was exactly what I needed before spending/wasting any money. Yes, these tanks need some braking help, really cooling help, to make CCM rotors live. Based on everything I saw, I was hoping that maybe something new was coming to market that would solve many of the issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Sintered pads on CCB rotors

Quick Reply: Sintered pads on CCB rotors