Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It better not freakin rain this time, or

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 08:56 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
Default It better not freakin rain this time, or

This season has been a disaster in the Northeast--constant rain. Mine started with an open track event at the Glen in April with Precision. Finally, totally open track with racers--at the Glen, usually nobody wearing their ego on their sleeve--all good guys, but it freakin SNOWED. There were three of us out there for a short time, then they closed the track it got so bad. The rest of the summer was sign up, pay, tow there, and get skunked, time after time. The last time was $680 for two days at the Glen, plus the usual insurance, watched green blobs on the radar all weekend, track was closed mostly-- got two laps!. To add insult to injury, just spent a considerable sum at Phoenix this spring turning the car into a track weapon and a blast to drive (I think), and no chance to drive it except a couple of last minute "track nights" which are so undisciplined as to be dangerous. If this is the new normal, I'm selling the car and trailer and buying a Harley to putt around the local lakes and call it quits. Sooo frustrating. Trying one last chance this weekend with a three day event at the Glen with NASA, looks clear so far, but Jeeze, it better be, the Harley buyers guide is already on order. .
Old 09-25-2018, 09:23 PM
fgodoy
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Any thoughts on getting a set of rains? Might expand your days and wont burn through them as fast as slicks?
I'm in Florida so I am considering it just to minimize my time on the sidelines!
May the weather gods be in your favor
Old 09-25-2018, 09:27 PM
apex26
Racer

Yeah, I run Michelins in the rain (and snow lol) but they've been heat cycled so much not very rewarding, but we've had track day closings galore, even for lightening too. Thanks by the way, there's always hope...lol.

Last edited by apex26; 09-25-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:31 PM
fgodoy
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, then I can only invite you down to Sebring! Should be great in next few months as your desire to escape the Northeast goes up!

Old 09-26-2018, 08:34 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

From one North Easterner to another - amen brother, this weather has sucked. But fortunately I have managed to get some good days in between the storms. I also got skunked at the Glen this spring. Trying again in Oct with Hooked on Driving.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:32 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I know how you feel. I've only done about a dozen laps this year. I put a set of LG Bilstein coilovers and some headers on my car last winter. Went to GingerMan in April to shake it down... 40* and raining. Sunday morning we woke up to 1/4" of ice all over everything. I got about 10 total laps over 3 days. Mid-June I go down to MidOhio expecting to have some fun. 3 laps into the first session the header melts a hole in an oil cooler line and starts a fire. It could have been much worse but I had to repair the engine harness, replace oil, fuel, and brake lines and everything plastic on the left side of the motor. It's taken the whole summer to get it done. The last event of the year is this weekend and I'm still thrashing to get the car running. So last night I finally got it buttoned up enough to try to start the car. I press the start button and it turns over great but there's no fuel pressure. Pump isn't priming. Everything looks ok so I'm at a loss. If I can't get it running and get on track this weekend I'm just going to throw the cover on it and forget about it for a few months. This is supposed to be fun, right?
Old 09-26-2018, 01:15 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I thought I was the only one! I was reflecting on this season and its been challenging to stay motivated. I don't do a ton of events (6 a year), but the ones I have done all had mother nature intervene. I too have had 40F temps (15F when I fired the car each morning), Track closure for lightning, and at least half my runs with rain or a freshly rained on track. I've consistently learned something in rain conditions I would have otherwise not discovered, that's the good. After a full day of rain, I usually pack it up without running some sessions because I feel I've tempted fate enough for one day. In this situation I start to tally the costs in my head and get frustrated. I'm going to VIR in a few weeks and hoping that probability is on my side for some dry fun laps.

I have tried to take an approach similar to camping, if I' going to be out in it, how do I best be prepared and enjoy myself? I bought a robust pop up canopy, I bring a rain suit, make sure I have the rainx, and extra rubbermaid totes to keep stuff dry. I'm thinking it might be time to get real rain tires, I've been using Conti DW's that are now 3 years old. I think a real rain tire might help pick the pace up some or reduce the white knuckles a bit.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:59 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Misery loves company, so thanks to all of you for helping lift my spirits. Just joking. I feel your pain. I’m in similar circumstances, but for a different reason.

My my car has been disabled since mid June due to an unscheduled engine re/build. It was damaged due to oil starvation, and I had trouble finding a qualified shop to tackle the job.

Of course, the re-build presents the opportunity to upgrade, so I’ve got that going for me. But let’s not talk about the cost, cause I’m trying to pretend it’s affordable.

Hopefully, I’ll be able to get back on track to catch a couple of events before my season ends (mid Nov).

best of luck, brothers, and I hope to see you on track soon.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:59 PM
NiceGuySanti
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

100% agreed with the OP, this has been a washout of a season for us in the NE. We were lucky in a couple of 3 day events to get in 3-4 semi dry sessions, everything else would have been driving in downpours. I have my fingers crossed for this weekend, lets see what plays out.

Last edited by NiceGuySanti; 09-26-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:28 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

I'll be down there with NASA for 3 days and then PCA for 2 days. I'll be happy if I get 2 good days of track time out of the whole operation. Anything more than that will be a blessing. I'll be in garage 8b in the blue C6Z in TTU.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:24 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by apex26
This season has been a disaster in the Northeast--constant rain. Mine started with an open track event at the Glen in April with Precision. Finally, totally open track with racers--at the Glen, usually nobody wearing their ego on their sleeve--all good guys, but it freakin SNOWED. There were three of us out there for a short time, then they closed the track it got so bad. The rest of the summer was sign up, pay, tow there, and get skunked, time after time. The last time was $680 for two days at the Glen, plus the usual insurance, watched green blobs on the radar all weekend, track was closed mostly-- got two laps!. To add insult to injury, just spent a considerable sum at Phoenix this spring turning the car into a track weapon and a blast to drive (I think), and no chance to drive it except a couple of last minute "track nights" which are so undisciplined as to be dangerous. If this is the new normal, I'm selling the car and trailer and buying a Harley to putt around the local lakes and call it quits. Sooo frustrating. Trying one last chance this weekend with a three day event at the Glen with NASA, looks clear so far, but Jeeze, it better be, the Harley buyers guide is already on order. .
Maybe you should try coming South for an event. Weather might still screw you over but there is an event at VIR in November you could tow to. https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...lub-usa-935342

That would give you the flavor of a different track. Probably an 8 hour tow from the Binghamton area.

Bill
Old 09-27-2018, 05:42 AM
apex26
Racer

This is the very best part of this venture--the great guys who share the passion. The forecast for the Glen this Friday-Sunday is excellent, lets hope. Heading South certainly is inviting!
Old 09-27-2018, 06:57 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by apex26
This is the very best part of this venture--the great guys who share the passion. The forecast for the Glen this Friday-Sunday is excellent, lets hope. Heading South certainly is inviting!
Steve,
My buddies and I are going to VIR with Chin in late October. It's the longest tow I do all season but it's worth it in several ways (mancation and one of the greatest tracks in the east). Your an hour or so north of me and it takes us 8 hours to get there taking it easy.

We'll be there if you want to meet up in the paddock or caravan down together
Old 09-27-2018, 08:36 AM
jschliffka
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

At least you guys have a roof and windshield. I run a vintage Formula Ford with VRG a few times a year, and it's been nothing but torrential rain every event, all season. The Summit point event back in May was canceled because the track was under water. The New Jersey event was cut short due to heavy rain, and the most recent event at Pitt Race was cut short due to a tropical depression. This is a pic of the Pitt Race event 2 weeks ago...

Old 09-27-2018, 09:20 AM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Call me a sissy, but that does not look like fun.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:45 AM
Tomswheels
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

You should have come to the SCCA Solo Nationals!
Old 09-28-2018, 08:24 AM
jschliffka
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomswheels
You should have come to the SCCA Solo Nationals!
I saw the pics.
Everyone who participated in that has my sincere pity.

Get notified of new replies

To It better not freakin rain this time, or

Old 09-30-2018, 07:24 AM
apex26
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan H.
Steve,
My buddies and I are going to VIR with Chin in late October. It's the longest tow I do all season but it's worth it in several ways (mancation and one of the greatest tracks in the east). Your an hour or so north of me and it takes us 8 hours to get there taking it easy.

We'll be there if you want to meet up in the paddock or caravan down together
Dan, Thanks, that's a really nice offer. I'll keep it in mind. Meanwhile, the first session Friday at the Glen was wet, the next was drying but light drizzle, and a few minutes into the third dry session the car was running fantastic but coming out of the boot--light oil smoke so pulled off. They black flagged the session, sent firetrucks an ambulance, and a flatbed. A fire guy shot off a cloud of pink extinguishment just for effect, and a large forceful woman took my helmet, earplugs and even glasses and made me go in the ambulance to see their head guy and the MD. Some corner fire guy had reported my car was on fire! Turns out Adrian from Fast Auto crawled under and said it was an oil line that got pinched between the leaf spring and subframe (which the race shop installed). Oil had gotten on the exhaust and was smoking, but not a plume. So much for the first perfect weather weekend of the year.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:40 AM
apex26
Racer

Originally Posted by Mordeth
I'll be down there with NASA for 3 days and then PCA for 2 days. I'll be happy if I get 2 good days of track time out of the whole operation. Anything more than that will be a blessing. I'll be in garage 8b in the blue C6Z in TTU.
Anthony, was great to meet you and thanks for the offers of help. That's one mean Corvette you have, may the Corvette gods be with you this weekend--you've got perfect weather.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:51 AM
apex26
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Maybe you should try coming South for an event. Weather might still screw you over but there is an event at VIR in November you could tow to. https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...lub-usa-935342

That would give you the flavor of a different track. Probably an 8 hour tow from the Binghamton area.

Bill
Bill, that's a bucket list track and it would be even more enticing if you were going so as to be able to pick your brain. Our local area lost a true Corvette expert when you moved, the resources around here now are negligible by comparison. Stay well.

Quick Reply: It better not freakin rain this time, or