Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 BCM delete?

Old 10-11-2018, 11:26 AM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Default C6 BCM delete?

I just acquired a 2005 C6 rolling chassis that i plan to make into a dedicated track car, the car has no interior, no dash but most of the wiring is still there from what I can see. Being a 2005 and needing to put into reverse to not kill the battery along with not having fobs etc id like to delete the BCM but retain the Abs. I found one thread saying it was possible but not a ton of info was provided, I tried contacting that member but haven’t heard back yet. The Bosch abs is just not in the budget at this time, the Mk60 e46 abs looks like an option but again other than the one thread posted from G speed I haven’t been able to find much info. The car needs a new engine harness anyways so if I’m able to run the abs on a standalone bases I would go ahead go stand alone on the engine side as well. Does the BCM control the electric doors? Thank you for any information that can be provided, this is my first time digging into these aspects of the car.

Last edited by bullitt4110; 10-11-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:38 AM
1badtantrum
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Bullitt,
I did the BCM delete from my 2009 C6Z. It is possible, not really that difficult. it just takes a lot of time tracing wires. I removed all necessary wiring between the BCM and every endpoint. I recommend you getting a factory manual to trace all the wiring and remove what isn't necessary. There are lots of wires! lots of different 12V power signals that you'll want to eliminate or terminate safely.
The BCM controls almost every electronic 'thing' that is not related to the engine,transmission and brakes.
Yes the BCM controls the locks. I have no locks so no big deal. The BCM also controls wipers and all aspects of lighting. You'll need to provide alternative controls/switches for at least brake lights even for a track car. The brakes have a variable output voltage signal that goes to the BCM. I used that signal to control a relay that turns the brake lights on at the lightest application of brakes. Wipers are a bit of a challenge, I just have switches for low/high speed.
There are two CAN buses in my car one high speed and one lower speed. These two buses run between EBCM, ECU and BCM. At least one of the buses runs through and is terminated in the BCM. I connected the CAN buses and terminated (resistors to ground) it after removal. I'm not sure I had to do that, as I don't use the yaw sensor, steering angle sensor...but I did as I have an OBDII port that I use for data acq.
There is an ECU setting that you have to change related to the anti theft and lack of communication between the BCM.
When you eliminate the BCM, you loose all the active handling capabilities of the car but you will retain Anti lock braking (at least I did).
There is CAN communication between the EBCM and the ECU. I'm not sure how stand alone you can be by completely eliminating communication between EBCM and ECU. Based on the fact that many run aftermarket ECU's I imagine it's possible. I have not tried the Bosch Motorsports EBCM yet myself but its on my xmas list.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:06 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Thank you very much for the info! I’m going to start digging into soon and hopefully have the car somewhat ready for next season. Just took my C7 Z06 out on track and as fun as it is I’m just not willing to push that car as much as I would the dedicated track car, for many reasons.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:33 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

If you are making a dedicated track car, My advise is to step up to the BMW standalone ABS and install a hot rod engine harness or GM Connect and cruise setup.

This removes the BCM from the equation, and isolates your systems for simplicity.

No more fob, no more fob detected issues, no more losing the fob! Every race car I have ever built with stock electronics, not once did I ever say, "Man, I sure wish I had a key fob to make this easier" or, "Golly, this system is so problematic, but its well worth it for tire pressures."

Food for thought! Good luck with the project, they are always fun!

"Keeping You on Track!"
http://www.gspeed.com
877-512-5180

Instagram_Facebook_YouTube

GSpeed C7Z Cooling Development

2014 NASA Texas TT1 Champion
2015 NASA Texas ST1 Champion
2018 NASA TTU & TT3 National Champions
2019 NASA ST2 National Champion
2019 NASA Texas TT2 Champion
2020 SCCA Majors COTA GT2 pole sitter
2020 SCCA Trans Am Road Atlanta SGT Winner
2022 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion TT2
Old 10-17-2018, 02:01 PM
1badtantrum
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

GSpeed,
What are the benefits of the BMW standalone ABS? Does the BMW ABS deal with the 'extreme' track related acceleration (rotational-related to the rotors, wheels/tires, etc) and increased friction (brakes, tires, etc) rates better? Does it sample faster?
The ABS controller in the C6Z06 does have some challenges at the limits of braking. There is another thread currently active where 'a guy' is discussing his issues with ABS/Active Handling intervention.
Do you consider the BMW ABS to be 'better' than the Bosch Motorsports 'stand alone' ABS controller? I thought the Bosch unit was top of the line...
Old 10-17-2018, 02:23 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by 1badtantrum
GSpeed,
What are the benefits of the BMW standalone ABS? Does the BMW ABS deal with the 'extreme' track related acceleration (rotational-related to the rotors, wheels/tires, etc) and increased friction (brakes, tires, etc) rates better? Does it sample faster?
The ABS controller in the C6Z06 does have some challenges at the limits of braking. There is another thread currently active where 'a guy' is discussing his issues with ABS/Active Handling intervention.
Do you consider the BMW ABS to be 'better' than the Bosch Motorsports 'stand alone' ABS controller? I thought the Bosch unit was top of the line...

See this thread for info:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tandalone.html

To answer your questions, the BMW abs is a cost effective solution. Most balk at the cost of the Bosch Motorsports unit. It is indeed better, especially if you spend the money on the tuning of it.

The OE level systems have too many issues that interfere with performance over time. This is why we dont recommend using them when you have other options

Last edited by GSpeed; 10-17-2018 at 02:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
1badtantrum (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 06:53 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Is there a kit or at least even a harness for the bmw set-up? I read your thread and googled the guys name you said that made your harness but nothing came up.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:02 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by bullitt4110
Is there a kit or at least even a harness for the bmw set-up? I read your thread and googled the guys name you said that made your harness but nothing came up.

Yes, we are working on stocking the harnesses. If you think you want to go that direction, send us an email and we will gladly put together a care package. sales at gspeed dot com
Old 10-18-2018, 09:48 AM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Email sent

Get notified of new replies

To C6 BCM delete?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 BCM delete?