Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run newer slicks front or back?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 08:18 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Run newer slicks front or back?

Is it best to run the better tires up front or on the rear? Was a thread a couple of years ago, but I cannot remember. Car has 520rwhp if that matters.

Experiences?
Old 11-06-2018, 11:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Always run best handling tires in the rear. Otherwise you can get a massive unexpected over steer when the front grips going into a turn and the rear doesn't.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
GSpeed (11-19-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 01:13 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Always run best handling tires in the rear. Otherwise you can get a massive unexpected over steer when the front grips going into a turn and the rear doesn't.

Bill
What he said! You don't want the rear end to come lose with fronts holding hard.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:38 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,023 Posts

But fronts usually get done sooner, so unless you run square, you might need to end up running newer rubber up front. Just be careful until you know how it feels (balance, etc.). ... Or you can just replace all four : )

Last edited by X25; 11-12-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:15 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Running square so that works for me.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:44 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I must be in the minority here. I would rather fight a loose car than a tight one. I always put the best tires on the front. Know that going into a corner and be prepared for what you know will happen. Better tires in the back will overdrive the fronts and just make it push all day.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:43 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I have never run new grippy tires on one end and not the other if you can believe that with all the racing I do.

But a contrarian idea, if this is a square setup I would think I would mount the two new tires on the side of the car doing the most work on that track.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:06 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
I have never run new grippy tires on one end and not the other if you can believe that with all the racing I do.

But a contrarian idea, if this is a square setup I would think I would mount the two new tires on the side of the car doing the most work on that track.
Wouldn't that drive the differential nuts since the diameters would likely be more off than they should from side to side? These are not race cars, after all..
Old 11-13-2018, 09:01 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Interesting thought. So like at VIR and RD ATL where I do most of my tracking, I would want them on the left side? I just did Sat and Sun at VIR, so I would have had plenty of track time to test that.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
I must be in the minority here. I would rather fight a loose car than a tight one. I always put the best tires on the front. Know that going into a corner and be prepared for what you know will happen. Better tires in the back will overdrive the fronts and just make it push all day.
You can compensate easier for over driving the fronts than compensating for over driving the rears.

Bill
Old 11-18-2018, 06:16 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
I agree, and have done this personally. If your car doesn't turn there is nothing you can do, you kill your time. If your car doesn't put power down, you coast the turn an feed throttle in on exit or even point and shoot. It will be faster that way.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:30 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Not such a crazy idea, I do this all the time on autocross courses, I know track racing is different, but some autocross events have 10 left hand turns and 3 rights all under 70 mph on a flat track, so in that situation, it makes perfect sense.

Get notified of new replies

To Run newer slicks front or back?

Quick Reply: Run newer slicks front or back?