Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Safety Question for C6Z Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 10:23 PM
ccw
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Door Safety Question for C6Z Track Car

I have a tech question I'm hoping someone on this forum knows the answer to...

I previously gutted my C6Z to put in a full roll cage for dedicated track use. That necessitated getting rid of all the electronics inside the doors as I have the roll cage bars extend out into the hollow door area for maximum protection. (There's no glass left in the car either.) I've gotten used to opening and closing the door using the emergency handles since the regular door handles don't work since I've removed all the electronics. I've been advised that this may not be safe. If a corner worker needs to get to me and I'm not conscious in the car, who is there to explain that they need to reach in to pull the emergency door handle on the inside to open the car door? Worse yet, if the car is on fire do you really think they're going to reach in and try to find the release latch?

So in this situation, what does everyone do when there's no electronics in the door to open it from the outside?

I appreciate the input from anyone that can help.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2018, 08:07 AM
RX82Z06
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

There are two door release actuators for the driver. Since the floor mounted release is impossible to reach when you are harnessed in, and to your point not easily accessible to someone outside the car, I routed the second release (located in the trunk above the driver’s side rear wheel well) forward and mounted it to my roll cage. I used a black tie-wrap as a tether to the actuator and it hangs just above my left shoulder completely accessible to me, or someone outside the car. What I haven’t done is placed a vinyl label (similar to what most do for tow hooks) on the halo that says something like “door release” for corner/emergency workers. Hope that helps.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:10 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I agree with about, I drilled a few holes and have the extra release coming out where the electronic handles used to be.

You could extend either cable to somewhere more obvious is you wanted to, but keeping the OEM stuff was my personal preference. I ran the mechanical gas door release out the back of the car also for convenience, it hangs out of the left-most brake light area.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:19 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,170 Likes on 5,991 Posts

A gutted Corvette door, especially one with the door beam removed, is easy to rip off in an emergency.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:05 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

a C6 caged track car i drove over the weekend had 2 on the drivers side
it had the stock floor "manual pull" mounted to the nascar bars for driver to open door from the inside
then on the b-pillar it had a bellcrank pull (using door pull located in trunk i assume) for exterior entry/ marshals

you can just see it here, its blown out, but says "Door Latch" on the b pillar. the bellcrank is the red thing with ball on it. worked great.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:14 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Like the guys above, I moved the secondary release that goes in the trunk area and mounted it to the B-pillar so that it sticks out into the window opening.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:50 PM
RecMech
Pro

Received 325 Likes on 148 Posts

On my land speed car, I was finding the door net falling on the driver pull release (plus it was awkward to begin with being down low), so I ebay'd a passenger handle and mounted it next to my right thigh.

I also trimmed the housing and spaced the lever up a bit to make it easier to operate with gloves (I wear sfi-20)

Old 12-12-2018, 01:38 PM
C6z_racing
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen guys put a magnetic sticker on the door with verbiage for the track workers stating the door release handle is located on the floor board. They also put bright red tethers on the release handle so it's easier to find.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:50 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Just a little pull . this is before decals.

ETA: this is a C7

Last edited by lobsterroboto; 12-18-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Door Safety Question for C6Z Track Car

Quick Reply: Door Safety Question for C6Z Track Car