Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 vs. C7 - equal horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 02:13 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Honestly, given infinite funds, I think a C5 would be the fastest. It's the lightest, isn't it?

Practically speaking: It's hard to imagine getting a C7 to run faster than a C5 for the same amount of money. $50k in a C5 is a damn fast car. $50k barely covers the cost of a C7. You'd be lucky to get a cage, pads, fluids, seat and harness in a C7 for $50k.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:19 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Honestly, given infinite funds, I think a C5 would be the fastest. It's the lightest, isn't it?

Practically speaking: It's hard to imagine getting a C7 to run faster than a C5 for the same amount of money. $50k in a C5 is a damn fast car. $50k barely covers the cost of a C7. You'd be lucky to get a cage, pads, fluids, seat and harness in a C7 for $50k.
C7 raw frame is 90 lbs lighter than a steel C5 frame. C6 aluminum frame is like 120lbs lighter, but roof can't come out. So the absolute lightest car would be an aluminum C6 chassis with all other content equal.

You are correct though... a C7 cage is about double a C5 cage currently. It's way cheaper to make a fully blown C5 roadrace car still. But OP wants an Optima car.
The following users liked this post:
village idiot (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 02:25 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Yeah, I feel like there are multiple questions being answered here.
Anyway, good to know the C7 is lighter than the C5 frame. Why is the whole car so much heavier? Is the C7 gutted lighter than the C5? I figured the C5 had more weight to lose with stuff like pop up headlights. Maybe brakes?
Old 02-12-2019, 02:27 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Anyway, good to know the C7 is lighter than the C5 frame. Why is the whole car so much heavier? Is the C7 gutted lighter than the C5? I figured the C5 had more weight to lose with stuff like pop up headlights. Maybe brakes?
Brakes for sure. Wheels are bigger and wider. Beefier axles, heavier motor, more electronic boards, more coolers, everything adds up.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:35 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

More content across the board:
1. Seats are way heavier as they have proper solid metal inernals, 3 vent fans, heating element, airbags. (C5 seats are light, passenger seat is manual in a C5)
2. Direct injection w/ HPFP (none of this is on a C5)
3. Dry sump oiling (not on C5)
4. Larger radiator and oil cooler stock (C5 has a tiny thin radiator and no oil cooler)
5. Stronger uprights, hubs, axles, clutch, etc.
6. Heavier balancer to deal with DOD
7. OEM tans and diff coolers and hoses and ducting.
8. Bigger brakes (rotors and calipers)
9. Retarded heavy Chinese cast OEM wheels
10. EDiff unit with pump, lines, and control computer

That's the bulk of it... there's a photo of a powerpoint floating around the web from when the C7 was released showing the exact differences and where mass was added. I have never seen a "fully gutted" C7, but if you add dry sum and equal coolers to a C5 I'd wager the C7 will be lighter.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 02-12-2019 at 02:35 PM.
village idiot (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 03:27 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I was saying all being equal EXCEPT cost.

100% if cost was an issue, the older ones would become a better candidate.
But I wasnt trying to find the best lap time vs $$$ spent.

Im simply tring to find out whic is a better chassis.
Driver mod this, alignment that - none of that I care about at this point.

Which is the better chassis?

excellent exchange of information here and you guys all have great, valid
points.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:08 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,032 Likes on 1,200 Posts

Contact Jason Priestly at JDP....he does the Optimal thing in a C7.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:25 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I did find this interesting about tire sizes and fitment which I didn't know before:https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-front.html
Old 02-13-2019, 02:58 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Rich Willhoff (RichieRichZ06) and his wife Carrie both do Optima. Rich has a C6Z and is always a contender. Carrie had a C7Z that she ran in Optima and sold it for a C6ZR1 to run with. Neither one of them liked the C7 as an Optima Challenge car. Real life experience.
D K (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 04:19 PM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Having owned a bunch of these things including a C7 GS, with equal power in "stock" trim (equal tires with equal or the same driver) in my experience the C7 is faster. I'd suspect that with some mods but once again same tires/driver the C7 would likely still be faster because of the advantages that Brian has spelled out.(not sure he mentioned no lift shift which is another C7 advantage).

I think once you go to full prep the c5/6 will more than hold their own. I'm very curious to see how Brian and others do with prepped C7's as I know for certain he knows his stuff.

Unless I'm leaving someone out I believe most shops that build sportsman Corvettes (other than LG) have typically avoided or recommended against the C7 platform for a W2W car.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:26 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by topmover
Having owned a bunch of these things including a C7 GS, with equal power in "stock" trim (equal tires with equal or the same driver) in my experience the C7 is faster. I'd suspect that with some mods but once again same tires/driver the C7 would likely still be faster because of the advantages that Brian has spelled out.(not sure he mentioned no lift shift which is another C7 advantage).

I think once you go to full prep the c5/6 will more than hold their own. I'm very curious to see how Brian and others do with prepped C7's as I know for certain he knows his stuff.

Unless I'm leaving someone out I believe most shops that build sportsman Corvettes (other than LG) have typically avoided or recommended against the C7 platform for a W2W car.
I've never used the no-lift shift as it only works at redline. When HPDEing I typically shift 6000 to 6200 just because. I found the purported "no lift shift" is just a soft rev limiter in that it doesn't "bang bang bang" at the limit. If you keep it floored and push the clutch in at less that 6500 the rpms jump to redline. I do leave it in 4th at VIR and let it just sit on the limiter. It just sits there holding 6600 perfectly with the shift lights blinking blue.

Or am I doing something wrong? Does the car have to be in a different drive mode? My C7 doesn't have PTM and I just turn all the do-dads off. I run it in track mode for the steering feel. AH/TC turned full off.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:38 PM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Whenever I've used the NLS I'd be in race mode. I haven't run the car in a number of months however for sure it wouldn't shoot up to onto the limiter when I'd shift which would normally be up very close to 6500 when I'd use it. If I get a chance I'll check out one of my video's to see what the rpm drop was(I don't recall it losing a lot of revs).
RapidC84B (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 04:46 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by topmover
Whenever I've used the NLS I'd be in race mode. I haven't run the car in a number of months however for sure it wouldn't shoot up to onto the limiter when I'd shift which would normally be up very close to 6500 when I'd use it. If I get a chance I'll check out one of my video's to see what the rpm drop was(I don't recall it losing a lot of revs).
I tested it once on the highway... I floored it in 3rd, kept my foot on the floor, and tried to shift at 4K rpms.... it didn't like that I bet shifting at 6500ish it feels like "no lift shift" because you're already right at limiter and now that it's a soft limiter it functions like no lift shift. I admit I really like it at VIR just holding 4th on the straights. You don't abuse the valve train; it's very smooth.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:28 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
I tested it once on the highway... I floored it in 3rd, kept my foot on the floor, and tried to shift at 4K rpms.... it didn't like that I bet shifting at 6500ish it feels like "no lift shift" because you're already right at limiter and now that it's a soft limiter it functions like no lift shift. I admit I really like it at VIR just holding 4th on the straights. You don't abuse the valve train; it's very smooth.
No. That's not it but it's completely unnecessary to do at the track. When you no lift shift it's a fairly obvious sound. Almost like the sound the car makes when stability control kicks in. Check this.

https://youtu.be/FzHfR7aKr6U

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 02-13-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:30 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
No. That's not it but it's completely unnecessary to do at the track. When you no lift shift it's a fairly obvious sound. Almost like the sound the car makes when stability control kicks in. Check this.

https://youtu.be/FzHfR7aKr6U
Yeah that’s just the soft limiter kicking in.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:48 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah that’s just the soft limiter kicking in.
Doesn't sound the same as simply bouncing the limiter.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:40 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Doesn't sound the same as simply bouncing the limiter.
C7 limiter doesn't bounce. Mine just hits 6600 and stops.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 vs. C7 - equal horsepower

Old 02-14-2019, 06:21 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

C7 limiter doesn't bounce. Mine just hits 6600 and stops.
You know what I meant. Doesn't sound the same as just hitting the Rev limiter.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:40 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

You know what I meant. Doesn't sound the same as just hitting the Rev limiter.
Then does my 2014 not have it? Or does it only work if launch control is engaged? I run in track mode with everything off as I don't have a mag car with PTM.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:17 PM
6SPEEDZ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More content across the board:
1. Seats are way heavier as they have proper solid metal inernals, 3 vent fans, heating element, airbags. (C5 seats are light, passenger seat is manual in a C5)
2. Direct injection w/ HPFP (none of this is on a C5)
3. Dry sump oiling (not on C5)
4. Larger radiator and oil cooler stock (C5 has a tiny thin radiator and no oil cooler)
5. Stronger uprights, hubs, axles, clutch, etc.
6. Heavier balancer to deal with DOD
7. OEM tans and diff coolers and hoses and ducting.
8. Bigger brakes (rotors and calipers)
9. Retarded heavy Chinese cast OEM wheels
10. EDiff unit with pump, lines, and control computer

That's the bulk of it... there's a photo of a powerpoint floating around the web from when the C7 was released showing the exact differences and where mass was added. I have never seen a "fully gutted" C7, but if you add dry sum and equal coolers to a C5 I'd wager the C7 will be lighter.
The engine, fenders, torque tube, clutch/ flywheel assembly, electronic parking brake, and transmission are all heavier as well on a C7

Quick Reply: C6 vs. C7 - equal horsepower