Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progress on VIR Full

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 08:34 PM
grandsport2017
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Curious what it'd do on a 100 degree day and if the dual coolers really fixes it. A local buddy who tracks his 2015 A8 base (not a Z51) just added the LG deeper sump pan to increase fluid capacity.
It's very much dependent on driving style. At the Corvette Owner's School it was 115F outside and the max trans temp was 205. Of course they had us short shifting at 5000 rpm or so. The max I've seen in Drive mode on a 90F day is 248F.

How's the response time for a commanded downshift?
It doesn't shift immediately on command. When it does shift it's very fast. It was awkward at first, but once I got used to it I no longer have to think about the delay.

One nice thing is if you do have the sims you can buy the "Z06" aftermarket version (if you went aftermarket) that doesn't have provisions for th AFM valves at all. KISS. Of course you could do that and just hack your existing valves out of the exhaust and zip tie them somewhere.
I'll probably end up zip tying the existing valves. I had some air "scoops" fabricated and installed on the tunnel brace, similar to the ones that come with the C7 ZR1, to try and keep the exhaust cooler, but they didn't work. I'm going to try again this season with some different scoop shapes.

Originally Posted by fatsport
Great shifting, you use the gears very well
Thank you. I'm still working on turn 1, 11, and dropping down into hog pen. I'm going to try staying in 3rd through turn 1. I end up maxing out 4th gear into turn 11. There doesn't seem like enough time to shift to 5th before I need to slow down. I may try short shifting to 5th to see if I can get a few more mph there. If you or anyone else has thoughts on improvement let me know.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:14 PM
ponycar
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Get a copy of the Skip Barber book. It is the one I refer to the most.

Quick Reply: Progress on VIR Full