Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to watch out for with scrub slicks

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 12:06 AM
stroked383z28
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default What to watch out for with scrub slicks

New to scrub slicks here. What criteria do you use when evaluating the condition of your new to you tires? What sort of problems should I be on the lookout for?
Old 04-15-2019, 08:12 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

age is a concern, but I've personally never had a problem, and only know of a few firsthand issues with running scrubs. I'd avoid on banks/rovals, but otherwise if they aren't too old and show good life on the wear indicators, you should be fine.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:54 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

One thing I always recommend to customers running used slicks is not to do the traditional mounting and balancing.

A lot of times scrubs have a bunch of rubber build up (track turds) covering the outside of the tire, if you balance with that stuff on and it gets thrown off after the first couple of laps then the balance of the tire is off.

Instead I would recommend balancing your wheels alone, then mount the tires. This way at least the wheel is balanced and when the turds get thrown off you won't have an issue.
The following users liked this post:
BigMonkey73 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 12:15 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Age and don't balance, I agree completely...and don't buy them in the winter if either you or the supplier live in a place where it gets substantially below freezing.

Some DE orgs will not let you run anything over 5 years old, and they do check.

I balanced my wheels when I get them, and taped the weights. Clean garbage off the wheels. Then absolutely never balance scrubs with all the tire snots, gravel, and other crap that hot tires pick up. I have never had any detectable vibration issues***, on the track. We are always changing speed, so there is limited opportunity for a resonance to set up in the suspension.

*** except when a tire(s) was flat spotted.

Last edited by kmagvette; 04-15-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:50 PM
fruitsalad
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I'd avoid on banks/rovals
Do you say this because of the inherent dangers of banked corners and the unknown grip level of a used slick, or something specifically to do with slicks vs. banked surfaces?

Get notified of new replies

To What to watch out for with scrub slicks

Quick Reply: What to watch out for with scrub slicks