Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues installing AMT camber blocks on max #1 setting on front of C7...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 01:35 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,220 Likes on 6,023 Posts

Default Issues installing AMT camber blocks on max #1 setting on front of C7...

HAS ANYONE ELSE ENCOUNTERED THIS INSTALLING THE BLOCKS ON #1 SETTING IN THE FRONT?

USING THE #2 OR #3 SETTING PUTS THE BLCOKS LOWER IN THE SLOTS TO WHERE NONE OF THIS IS AN ISSUE.

In the rear I used the #2 setting and everything fit fine. Only had to grind one edge of one camber block. However, in the front I used the #1 max setting which puts the top of the camber block higher up in the "slot" and created issues. My findings:

1. The C7 has 3 different types of "slot" in the front cradle. The forward most is totally flat and presents no issue, The next two being the rear of the froward LCA leg and the front of the rear LCA leg are flat, but have a curve at the top. The rear of the rear LCA leg is flat, but has much less space.

2. The forward slot - No modifications needed.

3. The front leg rear and rear leg front slots - The top corner of the camber block was hitting on the area where the machined surface started to curve. You can see this based on the side I did and the removed after figuring this out. The top point of the camber block is marred and you can see the triangle impression on the cradle where it was digging in. When torqued it was forcing the camber blocks to bend and they were not sitting flat.

4. The rear most slot - On the #1 setting the camber block is way too tall, had to round off much of the top of the block to make it fit.

Rear most camber block modified

Rear most camber block modified

Rear most camber block modified and in place

This is one of the "middle" slots... no rounded top, but you can see the top curves inward

This is the rear most slot before removing the OEM eccentric

Forward slot is flat and tall enough to fit the block w/o any mods.

The top of the camber block is getting into the curved non-flat area at the top.

Rear most camber block heavily modified and in place... #1 max camber setting puts top of block too high to fit before modification

Here you can see top of camber block getting ino the curved area.

Block is distorting under clamp load, but top is into curved non-flat area.

Re-did the front rear and rear front blocks to remove material at the top to allow them to sit fully flush w/o distortion.

Re-did the front rear and rear front blocks to remove material at the top to allow them to sit fully flush w/o distortion.

Here you can see the passenger side while I was re-doing it... the top of the the black was digging into the curved area.

Here you can see the passenger side while I was re-doing it... the top of the the black was digging into the curved area.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 05-06-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:17 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

As I mentioned to you in our other conversation, no has brought this issue to my attention. I have a rear cradle here but not a front cradle. I've just purchased a front cradle to re-check all this and it will be here Thursday. I had a C7 in the shop when we test fit all this stuff and there were no issues. GM machines these things by the tens of thousands and it's not a tight tolerance component especially judging by the nature of the way they're machining those slots. There is a probably a simple update we can do to the design to make sure no one comes across this issue in the future. I'll let you know what I find on Thursday.

Last edited by Mark@AMT Motorsport; 05-06-2019 at 03:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 03:22 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
As I mentioned to you in our other conversation, no has brought this issue to my attention. I have a rear cradle here but not a front cradle. I've just purchased a front cradle to re-check all this and it will be here Thursday. I had a C7 in the shop when we test fit all this stuff and there were no issues. GM machines these things by the tens of thousands and it's not a tight tolerance component especially judging by the nature of the way they're machining those slots. There is a probably a simple update we can do to the design to make sure no one comes across this issue in the future. I'll let you know what I find on Thursday.
Not complaining for taking issue with the product... just shocked that nobody has posted about this ever... I follow the C7 and trackday aspects of them religiously. I like your product(s) and having "6 blocks in 1" is a great idea. I just keep finding new speedbumps with the C7 platform that have me re-doing things multiple times. FYI the slots in the rear cradles are all taller than the ones on the front...

Posting to save someone the headache of figuring it out as they go and having to take it back apart. Setting 2 or 3 would have been a non-issue.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:36 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Could they accidentally be c6 plates? Are there differences between c6 and c7 plates?
Old 05-06-2019, 08:26 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by phxcobra
Could they accidentally be c6 plates? Are there differences between c6 and c7 plates?
No... C6 plates have 2 holes. C7 kit is unique. Most I've talked to use the #2 setting which lowers the plate in the slot and makes it a non-issue. Plus the rears on #2 were perfect.

Haven't found anyone using the #1 up front yet.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 05-06-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:15 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
No... C6 plates have 2 holes. C7 kit is unique. Most I've talked to use the #2 setting which lowers the plate in the slot and makes it a non-issue. Plus the rears on #2 were perfect.

Haven't found anyone using the #1 up front yet.
gotcha, good luck. Mark will take care of you.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:53 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by phxcobra
gotcha, good luck. Mark will take care of you.
There's nothing to take care of... install is done with modified blocks. I'm posting to try to find anyone else who's installed them on the front of a C7 in the #1 setting. Everyone I've found has done #2. I'm running 295s on a Stingray so I want max LCA and am using the 2 OEM upper shims to keep the tire out of the inner fender as much as possible and still get high 2s camber.

Get notified of new replies

To Issues installing AMT camber blocks on max #1 setting on front of C7...

Quick Reply: Issues installing AMT camber blocks on max #1 setting on front of C7...