Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front breathing bumper, splitter, fender supplier?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 07:39 AM
Sub8
Pro

Received 107 Likes on 94 Posts

Default Front breathing bumper, splitter, fender supplier?

Hi guys,

Had a little chat with a barrier at my local track and am needing some parts. I`ve wanted to add some aero anyway so liking the silver lining!

Can you guys recommend a supplier for these parts at all?

Front breathing bumper, splitter (integrated?), wings front and rear, maybe extended?

Many thanks.

Last edited by Sub8; 07-04-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:35 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

http://www.acproducts.us/

you want the race products. They did the World Challenge C5/C6 parts for GM
Old 07-04-2019, 06:16 PM
Mick14
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Definitely acp.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:22 PM
Mick14
Instructor

Old 07-04-2019, 06:27 PM
Mick14
Instructor

The radiator is laid down. The undertray helps tremendously with downforce as it is tunneled. Temps at 90 degrees and it runs 240 oil and 230 water and it is driven hard. My other car is a C7 ZO6 and it runs around 290 oil on a hard run (2017 manual).
Old 07-04-2019, 06:36 PM
DrackVB
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick14
The radiator is laid down. The undertray helps tremendously with downforce as it is tunneled. Temps at 90 degrees and it runs 240 oil and 230 water and it is driven hard. My other car is a C7 ZO6 and it runs around 290 oil on a hard run (2017 manual).
Mick,
How much fab work is involved to lay the radiator forward like that? What level of improvement in cooling do you see from that change?
Old 07-04-2019, 06:46 PM
Mick14
Instructor

The fab includes making new brackets for the radiator. Not a big deal. We ran the intake through the frame so it is a little more work. I cant tell you about how much better it cools because I bought the car used and had the work done. But, I can tell you it was actually about 95 with high humidity and that was the highest temps I recorded. The laid down radiator actually causes front end down force as well due to it's angle. This is running water wetter and water. It is so impressive. Need anymore pics or info let me know. The problem with the C5, as I am sure you know, is that it is a bottom feeder for air. This totally transforms it to a front breather and it is happier for it.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:50 PM
Mick14
Instructor

Call and talk to Kerry at ACP! He used to be a forum sponsor and probably still is. Veryyyyyyyyyyyy knowledgeable man and easy to talk to.
The following users liked this post:
DrackVB (07-06-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 02:48 AM
Sub8
Pro

Hey - that's great, thanks guys. The website is a little old school, I guess phone is the best way? I`m in the UK so I need a reliable supplier!
Old 07-23-2019, 06:10 AM
Sub8
Pro

Hi all - Have any of you guys actually bought anything from ACP recently?

I called them and spoke with a lady there who wasn't too clear on what parts were what. Followed up with two emails, neither of which have been answered after 2 weeks???
Old 07-23-2019, 09:27 AM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Yeah, she is their phone operator and she knows very little about the business. I always ask for Kerry and if he is not there, he usually calls me back if he is not out racing somewhere. Although he did call me back while he was at the racetrack.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:29 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I got a bumper a few months ago and it more or less shipped in the promised time

Kerry and Winnie are generally pretty good about responding to emails also
Old 07-23-2019, 11:06 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

IMO the ACP stuff is a pain to fit and install - I have had much better luck with the stuff from Blackdog Racing

http://www.blackdogspeedshop.com/ind...=cat/cat19.htm

With the ACP stuff you need to use there bumper, undertray and splitter. With the Blackdog bumper it allows you to mount any flat panel undertray/splitter assembly that you want. Homemade Alumalite, or some other purchased piece.

It seems like all of these guys are a little hard to deal with from time to time but if you are patient you will get your parts - it's just not going to be as quick as we are used to for other parts.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:37 PM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

The ACP bumper will accept another splitter or undertray. I use a alumacore undertray with my set up. Ecklers sells splitters that will work with the ACP bumpers. None of these products from any of these companies are just bolt it up and go, a little fab work is needed.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:24 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I've installed 2 ACP front ends and they both needed a lot of work to get the splitter to come out properly - granted that was 10 years ago and they were my first installs but it was enough to make me search for another option. The ACP set-up is 3 pieces - you have the bumper, the splitter which mounts to the bumper and the undertray that fits below the splitter - in my opinion it makes the installation more complicated because the splitter and undertray are traditionally the same piece. But ACP separates them - that sort of forces you to shape your undertray to fit under there splitter. You don't really have the freedom to design your own (unless it fits their splitter) or use a piece from AJ Hartman etc.

One thing that really helps both the performance and the ease of installation is by making the undertray angle adjustable, this way if you install everything and the splitter angle isn't where you thought it was going to be you can change it. My first couple installs were not put together with adjustability in mind. To me the ACP set-up makes it more difficult to make the undertray truly adjustable.

Blackdogs bumper extends down far enough so you can use any flat splitter/undertray that you want - to me it's a cleaner and easier piece to work with and I from my experience it fits much better as well.

I have also just installed an undertray below the stock bumper and added a sheet aluminum air dam to bridge the gap between the undertray and bumper cover (similar to the G-speed lightweight C5 car).

Any time you add a functional splitter/undertray to a C5 it's going to take custom fab work to get it done, I tweak things every-time I do one after doing 8 different installs my experience is that the ACP is the most difficult to install, followed by using a stock bumper and with the Blackdog being the cleanest and easiest (but probably the most expensive as well).

Last edited by 96CollectorSport; 07-23-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:16 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Acp above is 1 piece. They make it both ways but I like the 1 piece. I emailed black dog recently and they didn’t respond.

Last acp I did went fine with an alumalite extension. As stated they all have to be tailored to you desired setup
Old 07-23-2019, 11:46 PM
Glowing Rotors
St Jude Drive every year
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
Default C6Z Blackdog Speed Shop Front Nose & Splitter

I have been using the Blackdog C6Z Front Nose & Splitter for over 2 years. It is carbon fiber and it fits well. The bottom splitter is a carbon fiber honeycomb structure and it is not flat. It has raised sections on each side in front of the tires to provide down force. This splitter goes back to about 1 inch in front of the engine cradle.

Blackdog installed this for me and it has an aluminum frame on the inside, which provides the structure/connection to the front bumper and engine cradle. The radiator also sits on top of this frame. I have included a couple of pictures.

This was developed by Blackdog a few years ago when they were racing C6Z's in the World Challenge Racing Series. If you have questions send an email to regis@blackdogspeedshop.com

Get notified of new replies

To Front breathing bumper, splitter, fender supplier?

Old 07-24-2019, 09:57 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Glowing Rotors....is that the "extended" front bumper or the OEM style? I tried asking about the difference, but they didn't respond. I assume they took some artistic liberty with their design, knowing no one at SCCA Pro back then would know the difference.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:13 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Glowing Rotors....is that the "extended" front bumper or the OEM style? I tried asking about the difference, but they didn't respond. I assume they took some artistic liberty with their design, knowing no one at SCCA Pro back then would know the difference.
That would be the standard. My car had the extended Black Dog bumper/splitter.... It wasn't very pretty, but was probably functional.

Last edited by fleming23; 07-24-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:17 PM
Glowing Rotors
St Jude Drive every year
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

David, My bumper/splitter is the Standard, which is the same size as OEM. Fleming23 looks to have the extended one, which provides more down force. Glowing Rotors

Quick Reply: Front breathing bumper, splitter, fender supplier?