Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In need of Alignment/Setup Equipment Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 09:16 AM
peanut
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default In need of Alignment/Setup Equipment Suggestions

I'm looking for some feedback and suggestions for upgrading my current setup which is 4 jack stands w/string, a tape measure and a Harbor Freight digital angle meter... and a lot of time.

The equipment I'm leaning towards are the SmartString (https://www.smartracingproducts.com/smartstrings.html), the cheap Proform 67650 scales (https://www.proformparts.com/product...hardshell-case), and a set of aluminum plates with grease between them because turnplates are expensive. Still looking at camber gauges.

I had considered also running hub mount alignment stands as doing the adjustments with the wheels off seems like a huge plus being I won't be working with a lift, but the CSM stuff is gold lined and the other brands have limited weight ratings of 1000lb a corner which is an issue for one of my vehicles i routinely align. I might have to make my own if I go this route.

If you have any suggestions, feedback, tips or tricks I'd love to hear them. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2019, 09:42 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 742 Likes on 547 Posts

Wasn't impressed with that Smart String rig, seemed like a minimal time saver for the money, but their Smart Camber setup works well.
Ebay has some relatively inexpensive turn plates, but unknown capabilities.
Aluminum plates with grease might work just as well... heard of using masonite or Formica also.
If you have the patience, DIY alignment will usually come out better than some ***-clown down at the tire shop.
The following users liked this post:
peanut (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 12:38 PM
peanut
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Wasn't impressed with that Smart String rig, seemed like a minimal time saver for the money, but their Smart Camber setup works well.
Ebay has some relatively inexpensive turn plates, but unknown capabilities.
Aluminum plates with grease might work just as well... heard of using masonite or Formica also.
If you have the patience, DIY alignment will usually come out better than some ***-clown down at the tire shop.
Thanks for info on the Smart String and Camber
Old 08-16-2019, 12:53 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

I think of corner balance as part of alignment because scaling car effects ride heights which effect suspension settings. So I use home made greased steel slip plates but will experiment with 1/8" greased flooring tile next time since the steel while cheap is heavy to move around. Then more flooring tile to make a level platform. L rulers cut to length to fit my 18" wheels ,laser level, ruler, 2 tape measures, 2 toe plates, 4 digital scale pads.

Oh and if I had rubber bushings I would let the alignment shop slop up the alignment. There is just no accuracy with rubber. I would only spend the time to be accurate and tidy if the suspension is monoball or delrin.
peanut (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 02:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by peanut
I had considered also running hub mount alignment stands as doing the adjustments with the wheels off seems like a huge plus being I won't be working with a lift, but the CSM stuff is gold lined and the other brands have limited weight ratings of 1000lb a corner which is an issue for one of my vehicles i routinely align. I might have to make my own if I go this route.

If you have any suggestions, feedback, tips or tricks I'd love to hear them. Thanks!
Have you looked at these: http://www.bbxracing.com/product_inf...products_id=75 I don't know their weight rating but I have made use of these stands and they make the job a lot easier.

Bill
peanut (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 02:40 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

I can do you a set of B-G racing's string kit for less than the $450 or so the Smart strings are. $409 shipped. Of couse that involves math that I hate doing.

As for the camber/caster and toe deal. Well there a lot of different things I can offer. I have setup from Tenhulzen, Quicktrick, and others. But here, I'd go with the QuickTrick extreme, and here's why. It specifically works for very low cars, which Corvettes are. You can do that alone for $395 and deal with figuring out turn plate solution, or I can get your the QuickTrick plates too, they are $229.99 for a pair. Powdercoated, steel, ball bearings, 1500 pound rating, and with the markings for degrees so you can figure caster or just see what your akerman is like when you turn.

This stuff is complicated to try and put on a website, at least for me given we aren't a web business as much as a hands on, involved shop. But I can talk to you about the options.
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

peanut (09-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 03:32 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

This is what I use:
- steel round conduit on jack stands with strings... not too tedious to setup. If you can get it square its easier, but its not so easy so I go around the car spacing from the hubs each time.
- $60 camber bubble gauge
- made my own level pads from home depot stuff... drive up 1 direction for typical alignment check and the other way for driving onto scales.
- Scales a use, which I split with few track buddies. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-67644

The pads slide decently on the floor for caster, but I still roll car each time for checking toe adjustments.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:34 PM
voda1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

methods by davidfarmer and cagotzmann:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-at-home.html
post #'s 3,6,8,19

cagotzmann method for setting toe
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...alignment.html
post #'s 7,10,13,18,34,39,40,42,47

link to davidfarmer method : for seting castor and thrust angle
https://www.dropbox.com/s/680iom3g7m...align.pdf?dl=0

Last edited by voda1; 08-19-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:07 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Have you looked at these: http://www.bbxracing.com/product_inf...products_id=75 I don't know their weight rating but I have made use of these stands and they make the job a lot easier.

Bill
I got a set of their hubstand pro's and I can't say enough good things about them. They are awesome.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:35 AM
0CSM Performance
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by peanut

We do lean towards the more expensive side but that comes along with an exceptional level of service and quality that any of our customers can vouch for. Anyone can make a cheap product and undersell the next guy. Supporting customers and working with them to exactly fit their needs makes all the difference. Once an individual uses a set of Hub Stands they don't go back. If there is anything we can help you with feel free to reach out, I'd be happy to see what we can do for you.

Thanks!
Colton @ CSM Performance LLC
badhabit_wb (10-29-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To In need of Alignment/Setup Equipment Suggestions

Quick Reply: In need of Alignment/Setup Equipment Suggestions