Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

for anyone tracking a c2/3

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 09:02 AM
jimco84x
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 102 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared)
Default for anyone tracking a c2/3

I posted about this in the C3 tech forum but thought it might apply here also. I haven't seen any reference to this issue previously.

I know there are known weak points of the c2/3 frame, but I found another. Background, my car is a 69 and has true coilovers with Van Steel Upper and lower controls in the front. After the left front tire ran over a good size chunk of road debris, I found this damage. After some cleaning, it appears that the weld from the factory didn't actually penetrate and 'weld' both parts together. The weld tore between the mount and the frame. This is to in no way blame Van Steel or any one else. That much steel should easily support this load.

I'm just putting this out because I could imagine that some cars are stiffer sprung than mine and driven harder. This could affect any with front coilovers that mount like the ridetech or Van Steels do in the stock upper shock mount. Hopefully, it's just that mine is an anomally, but it might be worth checking your welds here and/or rewelding to prevent headaches in the future.

The following 2 users liked this post by jimco84x:
Chrisbequick (01-23-2022), lakebumm (01-21-2022)

Quick Reply: for anyone tracking a c2/3