Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NJMP Thunderbolt Memorial Day

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 10:00 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 387 Likes on 287 Posts
Default NJMP Thunderbolt Memorial Day

I signed up - have a new setup with C6Z brakes and Apex square 18in setup + NT01 - hoping for a fun day!

Motorsports Enthusiasts HPDE Thunderbolt (motorsportreg.com)
The following users liked this post:
Iank (05-25-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 08:04 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Plenty of C5s here today 👍

Old 05-30-2022, 08:39 PM
dom04abp
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

How are the MoE events? I was at Thunderbolt for the first time last week with TNiA and it was great, though running in the novice group has its ups and downs. Planning to try out a couple different organizations this year.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:29 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dom04abp
How are the MoE events? I was at Thunderbolt for the first time last week with TNiA and it was great, though running in the novice group has its ups and downs. Planning to try out a couple different organizations this year.
The MoE events are "loose and fun" - but the Intermediate session was "busy" (crowded) and to be honest a relatively stock C5 is not so hot these days - there are a lot of fast cars out there! BMW M series and Porsche to name a few. The last event I went to a year ago was also busy - and that one was the first they'd had in a while post-covid - and this one was on a holiday - which explains why both were crowded. Passing is by point-by and if you don't get your arm out and over the roof fast enough you'll get called to the principals office. My name did get called out on the PA and I had to go see Mo - he said 3 people came to him and "mentioned" me during the first session. What happened was that we came out and fairly quickly I saw yellow flags - at that point I figured "no need to point as no passing is allowed" - I never saw what brought out the yellow and someone later told me "Well - lap 1 session 1 they sometimes leave the yellow out" - make sure you are clear on the rules. The rest of the sessions went better - but me and my buddy in a Miata commiserated on the fact that we both had to keep our arms out a good bit of the session - I joked that maybe I could get a fake arm and just tape it to the roof! I also had problems with a "popping noise" - I thought it was something in the suspension - but it turned out to be a misfire and once I figured that out I packed it in - no need to hurt the engine. Some quick research shows that an under-performing fuel pump can be one cause - fuel pressure test kit is on the way.

The other sessions I have done are NJMP-sponsored track days and they are very different - there is a "rabbit" at the lead who sets a pretty fast pace and no passing is permitted and a limit on 15 cars per session - as far as focusing on my line and the capabilities of my car - these sessions have their appeal - but if you want to get into an event where you can pass then the MoE's are the way to go. I spoke with my Miata pal who lives near Pocono and talked with him about MoE events there and his take was "Too much time up in the tri-oval and again being light on power its tiring just pointing everyone by." I will probably do 2 more MoE and one NJMP this season. Also there were a LOT of other C5's there and lots to be learned checking out everyone else's setup and by talking with the owners.
The following 2 users liked this post by jjc508520:
dom04abp (05-31-2022), Racingswh (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 10:50 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

I enjoy his events. They definitely have their own "feel" about them. Some appreciate that and some do not.

You make a good point about pace these days. New cars have ridiculous pace, a fair percentage of that which is easily accessed by most any driver. It's getting harder for older cars with less nannies to keep up without some attention. Even then they need to be driven closer to their limits than the newer cars and that carries more risk.

PCA events are more structured and they have more run groups than MOE typically. I am with RTR-PCA in a few weeks at Lightning. Should be fun.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:27 PM
dom04abp
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

RTR-PCA looks like a good group. Very cool that they do the $100 Intro to DE on Fridays, can't beat that for your first time out with a group.

Given the feedback, I think I am going to stick with the more structured groups with either PCA or HOD, and do the TNiA in the novice group while I develop some skill. I've noticed that the novice group in the more "loose and fun" events have a big range skill which can make it tough for both ends. There were some with 7+ tracks days and others who it was their very first time on track. Getting a prompt point by was hit or miss. Some were totally oblivious to blue flags or checkered flags. I imagine the novice group at MOE events probably favors towards more with multiple track days of experience.

Get notified of new replies

To NJMP Thunderbolt Memorial Day

Quick Reply: NJMP Thunderbolt Memorial Day