Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto cross engine history

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 12:33 AM
Hotdog68
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto cross engine history

hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I am in need of some help regarding this corvette engine. My father was given this motor years ago from a gentleman who pulled it from a 1971 zr1 auto cross racer. From what I was told the motor was in the corvette that George and Joann Lynch raced back in the day. I know it is a 350 from the late 70s but what makes it unique is the moon eyes manifold with the quad Weber 45 carburetors. My father is moving and selling a lot of his possessions and I didn’t want to just list this online without getting some advice from the corvette community. Please let me know if you know anything about this engine or what you think it’s worth. I have see the manifold alone selling for $5-6k. Thanks everyone.

The following users liked this post:
Kubs (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 09:43 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Sorry I can't help much. Having said that, you may want to cross-post this in the C2 and C3 sections of the Forum. Given the age of the parts, a lot of those guys will know what numbers to look for and can then help with value. For instance, the carbs likely have numbers on them you can look up online to see what they go for. Condition will play a roll even if someone wants the engine or parts for wall art.

Squinting at the photos on my phone, it looks like it has a set of "camel hump" heads on it. Back in the day those used to be worth money but I'm not sure any more.

Unless there's clear provenience with a nationally recognized and winning car, you may get more out of it by selling individual parts vs the whole engine. Could sell the intake & carbs as a package for instance.

Good luck with your research!
Old 05-14-2024, 10:12 AM
Hotdog68
Cruising

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Sorry I can't help much. Having said that, you may want to cross-post this in the C2 and C3 sections of the Forum. Given the age of the parts, a lot of those guys will know what numbers to look for and can then help with value. For instance, the carbs likely have numbers on them you can look up online to see what they go for. Condition will play a roll even if someone wants the engine or parts for wall art.

Squinting at the photos on my phone, it looks like it has a set of "camel hump" heads on it. Back in the day those used to be worth money but I'm not sure any more.

Unless there's clear provenience with a nationally recognized and winning car, you may get more out of it by selling individual parts vs the whole engine. Could sell the intake & carbs as a package for instance.

Good luck with your research!
thank you. I will post it there too
Old 05-15-2024, 12:01 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,023 Likes on 5,377 Posts

If the engine is from a 1971 ZR1 it might be valuable from a collector standpoint. If it is a 350 from the late 70s then not so much. There were only 8 1971 ZR1s produced and only 53 ZR1s produced from 1970 through 1972. So if the engine has the correct part number along with the proper broach marks on the engine serial number pad it may be worth something as maybe at least one 1971 ZR1 is missing its original engine.

You may want to see if you get any response from an ad in NCRS Driveline.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
dmyers (05-15-2024), jwt1603 (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 09:09 AM
Hotdog68
Cruising

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If the engine is from a 1971 ZR1 it might be valuable from a collector standpoint. If it is a 350 from the late 70s then not so much. There were only 8 1971 ZR1s produced and only 53 ZR1s produced from 1970 through 1972. So if the engine has the correct part number along with the proper broach marks on the engine serial number pad it may be worth something as maybe at least one 1971 ZR1 is missing its original engine.

You may want to see if you get any response from an ad in NCRS Driveline.

Bill

thanks for the response. I know it’s the the original zr1 motor, my hope is so mine in the auto cross world knew about the car the Lynch’s raced or something. More just curious. I posted it for sale so we will see how it goes. Thanks everyone

Get notified of new replies

To Auto cross engine history

Quick Reply: Auto cross engine history