Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Confussed??? Are Hoosiers Street Legal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 03:48 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default I'm Confussed??? Are Hoosiers Street Legal?

I've read some posts that say you can drive Hoosiers to the track but the Hoosiers site has a warning saying they're not street legal. Someone want to give me the straight scoop here? I have to drive on a busy highway to get to the autocross courses I compete on and need to know if it's safe, both legally and physically, to drive there on the Hoosiers. Thanks for your input.

Old 06-20-2003, 03:57 PM
jackmott
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I'm Confussed??? Are Hoosiers Street Legal? (TedDBere)

the A3S03's are DOT approved, so are technically legal on the street, at least when they are brand new. the tread depth probably drops below legal within 2 inches of driving.

driving with them on the higway to the event is perfectly safe if it isn't raining.
the problem is hoosiers don't last long. driving on the highway will add in heat cycles and the tires will start to suck much sooner.

you can get away with some highway driving on kumhos, but with hoosiers its not usually a practical idea. might want to invest in a little trailer to tow behind the Z

I've read some posts that say you can drive Hoosiers to the track but the Hoosiers site has a warning saying they're not street legal. Someone want to give me the straight scoop here? I have to drive on a busy highway to get to the autocross courses I compete on and need to know if it's safe, both legally and physically, to drive there on the Hoosiers. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:41 PM
kraff
Burning Brakes

Default Re: I'm Confussed??? Are Hoosiers Street Legal? (jackmott)

Unlike the Kumho, I also don't think they are steel belted, hence more prone to getting a flat. I drive to events on Vracers and other than picking up some stones (and being a handful in the wet) I haven't had any problems. :cheers:
Old 06-20-2003, 06:08 PM
SoCal Rebell
Pro

Default Re: I'm Confussed??? Are Hoosiers Street Legal? (kraff)

Yup, street legal but not recommended due the fact they cut REAL easy.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:42 PM
jackmott
Pro

Default Re: I'm Confussed??? Are Hoosiers Street Legal? (SoCal Rebell)

also, the stock goodyears are a very capable tire.
if you aren't beating the majority of cars out there on the stock tires, you may want to work on the driving before worrying about the tires.
driven well you could post fast time of the day on the stock tires at many local events.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:01 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: I'm Confussed??? Are Hoosiers Street Legal? (jackmott)

the hoosiers have NO steel belts, so if you run them through a pot hole on the street, you will ruin it.

the kumho's I have driven many many miles on the street. the harsh ride is a killer, but they can handle it. also at full tread they are great in the rain, unlike the hoosiers.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm Confussed??? Are Hoosiers Street Legal?

Quick Reply: I'm Confussed??? Are Hoosiers Street Legal?