Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An ///M3 driver's review of my C5

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 01:12 AM
TGrits10
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default An ///M3 driver's review of my C5

Not sure if this fits in this forum but...

Cliffnotes: Friend is amateur racer who drives modified '01 ///M3, flogged my car, was impressed.

My car: 98% stock 1999 Coupe, M6, Selective ride control suspension.

His car: 2001 ///M3 Coupe M6, intake/exhaust, coilovers, sways, adjustable LCA's, racing brakes.

Him: 21, Go-kart racing since very young age, currently races shifters on the weekends, spent a couple years on the Skip Barber stuff, 2nd in the Southeast Regional Series, raced in the National, took 3rd at Road America, etc..., basically quit because he was very good but wasn't amazing, and it was just too expensive unless you are a god and can get sponsor money. Likes to play around on the street, best drifter I've personally experienced (but obviously not THE best). So...I figured he could shake down the car a bit, find the limits, and comment on its behavior.

Went out one night at like 1AM or so when the roads are empty, hit up some on/off ramps, tried to drift it a bit, etc....

My recollection of his comments (it was a while ago, I've just been lazy) are as follows:

--He was very impressed with the engine, quotes include "glorious torque", and "this thing is a monster, I can't imagine a Z06".

--When asked about the handling balance, he said it was very balanced, if anything tending toward oversteer a bit on the 70-mph cloverleaf.

--Tried to drift it, had limited success, new Ecsta Mx's on the rear may have had something to do with that...but he also said it felt like when he tried to drift/etc. with it, the car was like "fack you!, drive me like a racecar on teh track!". Seemed happiest with all 4 tires in firm contact.

--He said it felt a bit "tippy" in the corners, which I blame on the base-level springs and sways. I'll be going Z06-spec soon.

--Compared to his car, less feedback to the driver, and I quote:
"M3 if it starts stepping out, it lets you know, kinda like, ok, turning, hey, were reaching limit of traction, do something......ok, good."

"where the vette is like, turning, turning, hmm, time for LOSS OF TRACTION, haha, try & save that! saved it....bastard, ok, lets see ya try taht again, try your luck bitch."

--His views were apparently reinforced, those being that he would love to have a Z06 because they are sooo fast and fun to drive, but he wouldn't be satisfied with the cheapness of the interior, road noise, etc.

So...I guess the C5 acquitted itself pretty well eh?

Quick Reply: An ///M3 driver's review of my C5