Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My baby got some new shoes!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 08:49 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default My baby got some new shoes!

I got my Victoracers installed on my new GS repro wheels... I'm so excited...

So what's the best way to heat cycle these? Can I just go for a ten minute jaunt down the highway?

Pics to follow. :D

[Modified by Umrswimr, 12:07 PM 1/24/2004]
Old 01-22-2004, 09:49 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My baby got some new shoes! (Umrswimr)

We usually order them heat cycled. The idea is to get them up to "Near Racing Temp" and then get the weight of the car off of the (put car on jack stands) and let them rest for at least 24 hours. We can't effectively do this on a race weekend, so that is why we order them in heat cycled.

Go for an aggressive drive (not crazy white knuckle ride) and warm them up. Then park it and jack it up.

What size did you get?

Did you stick with the QA1s or did you switch to the koni's?

:thumbs:

[Modified by C5stein, 6:50 PM 1/22/2004]
Old 01-23-2004, 03:41 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: My baby got some new shoes! (C5stein)

Go for an aggressive drive (not crazy white knuckle ride) and warm them up. Then park it and jack it up.

Go for it just leave your license at home so they can't take it.

Heat Cycle is 10 each and worth it
Old 01-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: My baby got some new shoes! (C5stein)

I went with the 275's and 315's (Grand sport size). I wasn't sure if the 335's were a good idea in the rear, so I decided to be safe (read: I'm a wimp) and get the 315's

I also changed to the Koni's. Just driving around town, I'm VERY happy with them. IMHO, they're significantly better than the QA1's; they seem to have better control without being harsh. I can't wait to autocross!
What settings do you guys run on the street and at the track? I set them at five half turns in the front and four half turns in the back for the street... Seems to be pretty good, but what about the track?

:cheers:
Old 01-24-2004, 01:17 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: My baby got some new shoes! (Umrswimr)

Took them out for a heat cycle... Outside temp is about 50. My first impression is that these guys are not very happy because they're A) New or B) Cold. I couldn't get ANY traction in the beginning. Even half throttle in first gear resulted in huge tirespin. It surprised the poopie out of me because I was still letting the engine warm up!
After about three miles they seemed to loosen up a little and gained some traction, but I still spun them when I hammered the top of first pulling onto the highway. I just hope to hell they don't do this on the track or I'm gonna be in the dirt for sure...
After about a 15 minute jaunt down the road at speeds varying from 10 MPH to 90 MPH, I came home and removed the tires... Very little wear, and very little heat in the tires. They were warm, but not really "hot". Perhaps I didn't flog 'em enough. Either way, I threw everything these local roads had to offer at 'em...
The good news is, I now feel pretty confident that I can drive on them to the local autoX events (about 5 minutes away) without having to change tires AT the event....
We'll see how they do on the track, but my first impression is not real positive. :nonod:

Get notified of new replies

To My baby got some new shoes!

Quick Reply: My baby got some new shoes!