Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

While fixing a leak in the differential side seals, I broke the magnet in the thing..

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 06:37 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default While fixing a leak in the differential side seals, I broke the magnet in the thing..

Yup, I had tilted the unit over to let the gear oil drain into a pan when out falls this little round magnet... I'm assuming it is in there to collect any wear particles... It hit the ground and broke in half! Anyone know if this thing is easily had from the service counter at GM?

Mike
Old 01-10-2005, 07:10 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

p/n 12458080

Mark
Old 01-10-2005, 05:26 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

THanks Mark... After being at the dealership for almost an hour, they couldn't find the Oring seal that goes between the M6 tranny and the differential. I'll be re-using the one I have.. AND the magnet is on back order...So I got on GMPartsdirect and ordered it... Special order and god only knows when it will come in! Anyone know if a Generic Magnet of similar size works? Seems all it does is collect debris and should not interfere as long as it is of same dimensions... Is this good thinking or should I suck it up and deal with the fact that it will be a few weeks before it arrives?

I've got a track day 2nd weekend in February and still need to put the torque tube, tranny and diff back in the car, button up the underside, replace a tie rod end and ball joint, and get it to an exhaust shop for the rest of my exhaust install, not to mention getting the harnesses in the car, and new tires on the car trailer...

Mike
Old 01-10-2005, 06:22 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Mike, I have the o-ring p/n at work. If you're really desperate, private email me with your address and I'll send you one of my spare o-rings.

Mark
Phoenix Performance
Old 01-11-2005, 06:14 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Thanks Mark... I've found a source online for it, but I do appreciate the offer!
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To While fixing a leak in the differential side seals, I broke the magnet in the thing..

Quick Reply: While fixing a leak in the differential side seals, I broke the magnet in the thing..