Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Looking to buy. Need advice on this one...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:21 PM
mbroadway
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy. Need advice on this one...

I know there are a lot of experts out there. I'm a first-time Corvette owner wannabe, but I don't want to get taken to the cleaners.

Can someone take a look at this car and give me your input. I'm looking for a midyear that is pretty much original and not needing much help (at an affordaable price.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190154098174

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

You can e-mail me at mbroadway@comcast.net if you wish.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:03 AM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Really hard to critique the car from the limited photos on e-bay, although a quick look reveals:

1. 66-67 grille (indication of possible front end collision)
2. Incorrect water pump.
3. Leaky Holley 2818 carb.

Otherwise it looks very nice, solid car, but the prudent buyer would have it inspected by an expert before purchase. One option the seller missed is the tinted glass all around.

Dave
Old 09-19-2007, 12:26 AM
mbroadway
Pro

Default Wow.

You are good. I wouldn't have caught any of those items. Thanks. Just curious how you can tell the water pump is wrong. ???
Old 09-19-2007, 12:33 AM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mbroadway
You are good. I wouldn't have caught any of those items. Thanks. Just curious how you can tell the water pump is wrong. ???
Because of the reducer that is used to adapt the 90* nipple to the water pump. The correct pump has a smaller diameter hole and does not require the reducer. Photo below shows the difference.
Dave

Old 09-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Where'sMy62?
Intermediate

I went and looked at the ebay pics, and yeah, I'm impressed that you spotted that water pump thing. I guess "all original and unmolested" means different things to different people, right? Certainly doesn't increase my confidence in buying a Vette on ebay.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:00 PM
RJH
Intermediate

Get an NCRS member to look at anything before you buy. It is well worth the cost. I went that route when I bought my 61 8 months ago. Finding someone who knows what they are looking for is real piece of mind when you are spending this type of money. They are a wealth of info before, during and after the sale. I bought mine sight unseen and I have no regrets. Good luck. Russ
Old 09-19-2007, 09:18 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Where'sMy62?
I went and looked at the ebay pics, and yeah, I'm impressed that you spotted that water pump thing. I guess "all original and unmolested" means different things to different people, right? Certainly doesn't increase my confidence in buying a Vette on ebay.
The water pump is no big thing, although to me it's a red flag to be very astute when inspecting the car. A lot of dealers and flippers won't go into the sins of the car hoping to hook some uninformed Corvette enthusiast. They highlight the car using selective photos posted on their websites or e-bay. For example, most knowledgeable Corvette people would definitely want to see photos of the undercarriage which are not shown for this car. This would immediately make me think that there is something about the undercarriage that the seller doesn't want to reveal.

Dave
Old 09-19-2007, 09:23 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RJH
Get an NCRS member to look at anything before you buy. It is well worth the cost. I went that route when I bought my 61 8 months ago. Finding someone who knows what they are looking for is real piece of mind when you are spending this type of money. They are a wealth of info before, during and after the sale. I bought mine sight unseen and I have no regrets. Good luck. Russ
That's the way to do it. Good advice.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:40 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Can someone take a look at this car and give me your input. I'm looking for a midyear that is pretty much original and not needing much help (at an affordaable price.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190154098174

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

You can e-mail me at mbroadway@comcast.net if you wish.
The statement I have highlighted in your post above may be mutually exclusive in that 40 to 45 year old, "pretty much original", Vettes are probably going to need a good deal of help. Maybe you could delve into want your interpretation of original might be.

If original just means that the car has not been modified and still appears to be original, you might want to consider an Vette that has been restored and driven for a few years (i.e., older restoration). Be advised that the meaning of restoration is broad and has many facets.

Dave
Old 09-19-2007, 10:20 PM
golfer9491
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like a very pretty car
Old 09-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Aflyer
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Default Car looks nice

I agree with the others, the car looks great in the pictures. I would start by posting a question to the seller, talk to him on the phone. You can get some history to help you with the condition of the car.
Also post on NCRS.COM, and see if there is someone local to the car willing to inspect it for you.
Good luck ,
George
Old 09-19-2007, 11:22 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

mbroadway,

You might want to take a look at this one.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1817502
Old 09-19-2007, 11:53 PM
mbroadway
Pro

Default Is this your car?

Very nice. As I mentioned, I'm looking for matching numbers because I'm planning on leaving this car to my son someday and he would be better off if I stuck with matching drivetrain, from an investment standpoint.

Tell me more.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:03 AM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Very nice. As I mentioned, I'm looking for matching numbers because I'm planning on leaving this car to my son someday and he would be better off if I stuck with matching drivetrain, from an investment standpoint.

Tell me more.

Thanks.
The seller stated that it's a matching #'s car. Probably only 500 miles from you.

Dave
Old 09-20-2007, 12:31 AM
mbroadway
Pro

Default Thanks.

Thanks Dave. I've responded to the thread on the link you sent.

One more question. Do the original GM valve covers have a line that goes through the "o" in Corvette? Like a mold mark? Or does that usually indicate a replacement? Just curious.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:55 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

Only correct for '67's.

Tom M

One more question. Do the original GM valve covers have a line that goes through the "o" in Corvette? Like a mold mark? Or does that usually indicate a replacement? Just curious.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:42 AM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

The line thru the "o", which was caused by a crack in the mold, first appeared during 66 production, (around serial #17000, March 1966) and is correct for 66 and 67 MY only.

Last edited by stingrayl76; 09-20-2007 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Added date & s/n when flaw first started appearing

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to buy. Need advice on this one...

Old 09-20-2007, 11:22 AM
mbroadway
Pro

Default Valve covers.

I didn't know that was only correct for 66 and 67. Good to know.

Here's another question that some of you may be familiar with. I saw a 2003 anniverary edition on ebay (gone now) and bid on it when it was down around 8,000 or so. I got an e-mail from Anne Hampton who tells me the car is perfect with only 10,000 miles on it, but it's located in the UK. She said she would sell it for $16,500 (?) and pay the shipping. She wants to go through Escrow.com for the deal. And she says if the car isn't perfect and exactly as she described it, she will pay the shipping to return it to Liverpool. (She says she's wanting to sell it because she's going through a divorce.) She also says it has a clear title and no liens (which were questions I asked her.) She also said I only need to pay 15% of the price to the escrow company, which is refundale if I don't like the car. And the balance when I accept it. I have five days to inspect it before acceptance.

What's wrong with this "too good to be true" situation?

Meanwhile, here is something more realistic. What do you think of this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=280153106213

By the way, I joined NCRS. And it's NCRS.ORG, not .COM.

Thanks for all the input. You guys are great.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:00 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

It is a scam, been going on for a couple of years.

Tom M
Old 09-20-2007, 01:13 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I didn't know that was only correct for 66 and 67. Good to know.

Here's another question that some of you may be familiar with. I saw a 2003 anniverary edition on ebay (gone now) and bid on it when it was down around 8,000 or so. I got an e-mail from Anne Hampton who tells me the car is perfect with only 10,000 miles on it, but it's located in the UK. She said she would sell it for $16,500 (?) and pay the shipping. She wants to go through Escrow.com for the deal. And she says if the car isn't perfect and exactly as she described it, she will pay the shipping to return it to Liverpool. (She says she's wanting to sell it because she's going through a divorce.) She also says it has a clear title and no liens (which were questions I asked her.) She also said I only need to pay 15% of the price to the escrow company, which is refundale if I don't like the car. And the balance when I accept it. I have five days to inspect it before acceptance.

What's wrong with this "too good to be true" situation?

Meanwhile, here is something more realistic. What do you think of this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=280153106213

By the way, I joined NCRS. And it's NCRS.ORG, not .COM.

Thanks for all the input. You guys are great.
I have a couple of friends that live near Liverpool,who would go look at this car if paid for thier time. There is also UK forum members who I am sure would do the same. Dont send monies.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy. Need advice on this one...