Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

FS: 1966 L72 Roadster for sale Restored

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 03:19 PM
Silverrick
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 1966 L72 Roadster for sale Restored

A fairly well restored, no known damage, all matching driveline numbers Big Block L72 (427/425) Corvette in its original colors and needing nothing but a healthy and hardy new driver. No leaks, drips or deferred maintenance items. Everything works correctly including the power antennae and clock! All fluids have been recently changed. Coker "Goldwall" radials still have their "pips" on them. No road rash on the knock-offs. Undercarriage is as nice as the remainder of the car. Windshield (NOS) was recently replaced and the remaining glass is original. White top is very nice with the exception of a few "fold marks"--no tears or stains. Original owner must have had one purpose in mind: SPEED. No power steering, no power brakes, no power windows, no air conditioning, no auxiliary hardtop.
RPO's as follows:
A01--Soft Ray Windshield tinting;
G81--Positraction, 3.70:1;
K66--Transistor Ignition;
L72--427/425 engine (really 450 hp--you know the story);
M21--4-speed HD transmission;
N14--Side Exhaust;
N32--Teakwood Steering Wheel;
P48-- Cast Aluminum Knock Offs;
Y01--Goldline Tires;
U69--AM/FM radio w/ electric antennae; and,
V74--Traffic Hazard Switch.

It's dressed properly, with Chevy Orange on the block and valve covers, a chrome air cleaner, correct blue stripe cooling hoses and new hardware. And, the all-important '427/425' decal on the air cleaner and 427 Turbo Jet badging on the fenders.
As for original documentation, I only have the Shipping Order. However, I have many, original restoration receipts. Mileage shown is 73,400, unverified; but, by the restoration receipts, appears correct. The car is at my house in the vicinity of St. George, Utah.

Will sell for $108,000.
Attached Images           
Old 03-11-2018, 07:33 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Beautiful car, fair price. GLWS!
The following users liked this post:
Silverrick (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 11:36 PM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

Nice ride indeed. Have one very similar. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:40 PM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

(Edited)

At any rate ... a gorgeous car!

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 03-13-2018 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Quote and comment re: Interference in a Sales thread removed
Old 03-16-2018, 06:12 PM
Silverrick
Instructor

Default More info on 1966 L72

I have received several PM's requesting more information on the car. I went ahead and pulled out several of the "volumes" of materials that I was given when I acquired the car. I believe the following information is accurate; but, since I did not author it, I cannot say with absolute certainty. Here goes:

I acquired the Corvette from an "estate sale". The car was located, covered, in a garage, in Henderson, Nevada. It was being sold by the daughter and son-in-law of the former owner, Richard. Richard was a Corvette enthusiast, owning seven (7) Corvettes, a combination of C1s, C2s and C3s. All were beautiful (I only saw some pictures and heard the statements but did not personally see any of the other the cars). Six of the cars had been previously sold and this was the last (and the family's favorite). They had hesitated about selling it for several years but finally decided to let it go ($$$$). Although they knew little about the cars, they sure knew their values ($$$$).

I spent an entire day pouring over the documentation and the car. I did confirm, prior to purchase, the "matching number" status of the engine and correctness of the driveline. When my offer was accepted, I went about draining the old fuel, replacing the dead battery, replacing the cooling fluids, airing the tires and checking out all safety items (windshield wipers, turn signals, lights, horn, brakes, parking brake, ER flasher, etc). The car had "sat" covered, in the same location, for 3 to 4 years since it had last been started and driven.

I drove the car to our residence in SW Las Vegas. The next day (early), I drove it to our home above St. George, Utah. On both occasions, it drove and performed flawlessly. I then took it to my local mechanic, changed all the remaining fluids, and wrote down info and numbers from the engine bay and undercarriage.

My original intent was to keep the car. It would compliment my 63 SWC. However, this year, my wife and I decided to sell our residence and move into a condo in the Coeur d'Alene area of Idaho (no place for a convertible). So, the car became expendable. We're both retired and I turn 70 later this year.

Richard had purchased the car on 12/11/2008 from the previous owner, who also lived in Las Vegas. He immediately commenced a thorough "restoration" of an already "really nice" car. His intent was to bring it to the same "exceedingly high level" as evidenced by his other cars. The mileage, at acquisition, was a little more than 72,500. I have many $1000.00's of original receipts. The "restoration" started in early 2009 and was completed in 2011. At the time of completion, the mileage was a little more than 73,000. Today, even with my short trips, the mileage stands at only 73,602 I believe the mileage is original but have no way to absolutely confirm). That's just a little more than 1100 miles in almost 10 years.

In late 2011 or early 2012 (the family did not give me the exact date), Richard, after driving the car only a few hundred local miles, suffered a massive heart attack and died without ever regaining consciousness.

Richard was (according to his daughter) a Corvette purist and **** in his record and note keeping. I have pages of handwritten notes on the car and his "decoding" of the various parts. I believe that at one time he had the original window sticker. His daughter told me this and there are handwritten notes with the title "Window Sticker" at the top. I did receive a "Protecto-Plate" but upon closer observation, I discovered it was for one of Richard's other cars. The son-in-law was not an "Einstein" when it came to keeping all the books and records straight. I have attached a few of the documents that I received.

In addition to the numerous restoration receipts, I have many restoration manuals, mechanical and assembly manuals and a Chevrolet Salesman "Desk book" on the 1966 Chevrolets. From this "desk book", I gleaned that the car has the following "Corvette Custom Feature Accessories": Hazard Flasher Switch, Contour Clear Vinyl Floor Mats, Hand Portable Spot Lamp, Inside Non-Glare Rear View Mirror, AM-FM Push Button Radio and an Electric Antennae.

I hope this information helps. I hope that I have fairly priced the car. I have many addition scans and all of the original receipts, manuals, books, etc. Please send me a PM with your email address and/or telephone number, and I will contact you. It is really a beautiful car!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
1966 Corvette Documents.pdf (670.2 KB, 147 views)
Old 03-25-2018, 01:03 PM
Silverrick
Instructor

Default Undercarriage Pictures

I have received several PM's requesting undercarriage pictures/scans. I do not have a lift at home and, with the winter weather, I am not going to take the car to my mechanic to put it on his lift--at least for a week or two. However, in January of this year, I did crawl under the car and took several amateurish pictures of the U/C for my own photo album. I am attaching a few of them. Hope this helps! By the way, the undercarriage of the car has NOT been professionally cleaned in more than 4/5 years--for what this is worth. You can see a few "cobwebs" in a picture or two--sorry.
Attached Images           
Old 03-26-2018, 03:36 PM
jerrykdc
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks good underneath - cobwebs are ok but you can't make it into a barn find It appears that prices on midyears are going up while other cars are coming down - wish I had a place to put this beauty.
The following users liked this post:
Silverrick (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 03:54 PM
Silverrick
Instructor

Default Have hammer will travel.

I will help you build a new garage!
Old 03-26-2018, 03:55 PM
jerrykdc
Instructor

Will you also pay for the divorce?
Old 04-20-2018, 01:48 PM
Silverrick
Instructor

Default 1966 L72 Price Reduction

Fellow Forum Members:

Just an update. I've had three individuals come over and inspect the car. One was a forum member. They all liked what they saw and two of them made offers. The highest was an even $100k. I "countered" both times at $105k and one of the guys is still trying to figure out how he can buy it (he has to sell his small block 66 first). No deposit yet.

In the meantime, I thought I would go ahead and reduce the price to $106,000.00. Do the members think that this is a reasonable asking price based on the pictures, description and information? I sure don't want to "give" the car away but am just looking for a fair transaction.

Thanks for all the positive comments!
Old 04-20-2018, 03:14 PM
jerrykdc
Instructor

Here is my honest opinion: Midyear Corvettes have been doing very well lately, especially the small blocks but big blocks as well but not quite as well. Your car would be viewed as an exceptionally nice driver but without an NCRS Top Flight or Bloomington Gold it isn't going to bring the very highest price. That being said, I think you have it well priced for what it is without having seen it in person but taking it to be as good as you describe it.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:43 AM
mattksax
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did it sell yet? Awesome car.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:08 PM
Silverrick
Instructor

Default Status

The Corvette is still available. I've had a fair amount of interest in the car and four (4) people have actually laid eyes on it. Three made offers--two of them were real "lowballs" and we were so far apart that they left looking to commit theft at another location. One guy offered $100k. At the time, I countered at $105k and he left "thinking" about it.

Based on the comments from the Forum Members, I believe that I have the car honestly and fairly priced. Not really needing the money (I'm not going to buy another car), I will wait for the right buyer to come along. That person will be getting a really nice matching numbers, Big Block, convertible that is ready to drive and enjoy!

Many thanks for the kind remarks!
Old 05-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Silverrick
Instructor

Default Sold! Sold! Sold!

I wasn't having much success selling the L72 by myself--I guess I'm just not a car salesman--so, I took it to my friend, Ryan Hamilton, the owner of Celebrity Cars in Las Vegas, NV. In one day, Ryan sold the car. It went to a new home in the Silver State.

I wish to thank all the forum members for their kind comments, input and suggestions regarding the sale of my car. Much appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 L72 Roadster for sale Restored

Quick Reply: FS: 1966 L72 Roadster for sale Restored