Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

FS: 1960 C1 One Owner Ermine White on Red

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 05:32 PM
WhiteRat60
Navigator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1960 C1 One Owner Ermine White on Red

PRICE: asking $79,500
Price drop:$72,500

MY INVOLVEMENT IN THE SALE: I am helping to sell this car for my friend. Her Dad left this car to her when he passed away. The reason my friend (the owner) is not posting is she is not a "car person", has never personally sold a car, and is not interested in learning how to post, field questions of interest regarding the car. I am not a dealer or a broker. I am a friend and car enthusiast and I have bought and sold sports cars for 20 years for fun, many online. I will do my best to make sure both parties are satisfied regarding the sale of this car. If any after the sale issues may arise, I will do my best to rectify them personally.

I have been a fan of Corvettes new and old for a long time and I have shared the track on road courses with them for years. I have several friends from racing and track days that own them, as well as friends with vintage Corvettes. I have been around this particular car several times when it was in St. Louis and helped load it for transport to California where it currently resides. I can attest for its condition and the information I am posting below. There are countless receipts and documentation from new through to 2021, around the time my friends father passed away. I thought this would be a good place to sell the car and I hope we find a buyer here. We are negotiable on price - all reasonable offers will be considered. Buyer will be responsible for transport. I am available to answer any questions. Thank you for your interest and please keep reading:

Up for sale is this 1960 Corvette Survivor in its original Ermine white over red interior. This Corvette has been in the same family since purchased new on 10/27/1960 at a Chevrolet dealer in St. Louis, MO. It was optioned with T10 4 speed manual, posi traction 4.10 rear end, 283cid carbureted V8, heater, radio, radiator fan, windshield washer, sunshade, and whitewalls. It was driven regularly around town for the first several years of its life, then handed down to the second of two sons in 1968. At this point in time, the owner elected to replace the 283 with a new DZ 302 V8 from his local Chevrolet dealer, opting for more higher revving power in what was a very lightweight car. At some point in 69, the block was found to have hairline cracks in 2 of the cylinder walls and was replaced. The crank, cams, pistons, and heads from the 68 DZ are believed to be residing within the 69 block that is in the car today, but further analysis of the engine would be required to verify this. The car would remain in his care until 2021 when he passed away.

In 1972, with a career and kids on the way, it was parked in the garage and rarely driven until 2018 when he decided to begin making it ready to drive again. Most of this work was done by the owner, now an SCCA road racing veteran, with a good friend who is in the restoration business. There is a complete list of receipts for parts and services as well as the original sales agreement from 1960 and owners manual. Copies will be furnished to the buyer. There is too much to list here, but of note: new front end, new kingpins, new suspension bushings all around, tie rod ends, new springs, and upgraded Billstein HD shocks. New factory exhaust tips, fitted to Smitty mufflers, and fed through shorty headers. Per Tronix ignition and Holley four-barrel carburetor dialed in nicely by the owner. The sound is mellow and throaty not obnoxious. Fuel tank professionally hot cleaned and all necessary supporting hardware fitted. Brake system overhaul including new spindles, seals, and bearings and an upgrade to front discs with appropriate master cylinder and supporting hardware. The chassis was stripped and sprayed with POR15 rust inhibitor to further ready the car for driving duty. The original steering gear box was deemed to be in tolerance and adjusted accordingly. The interior was also treated to many new factory reproduction parts including dash pad, carpets, and seat covers - professionally installed. The entire gage cluster and Wonderbar AM radio were sent out to be rebuilt and work perfectly, along with the heater box and heater controls this car was not optioned with AC. New windshield seals were fitted at this time as well as replacement tires. The working odometer reads 60,964 miles and this mileage is believed to be accurate.

The car was driven frequently during nice weather from 2019 until the owner fell ill in 2021. The soft top was removed and was on the list to be addressed it comes with the car as well as matching ermine white hard top. As noted, the car still wears its original lacquer paint from 1960 when it rolled off the assembly line in St. Louis. There are obvious blemishes and areas of peeling. The body is straight, and chrome is in average condition. The original 4 speed transmission and rear end are in proper working order and the undercarriage is dry. This is a quick, well handling, driver-ready C1 Corvette that is waiting to be enjoyed by its new owner. It has never been raced or abused. I am selling for the family with a clean and clear title in the owners name. The car is currently located in California. Any spare parts as well as copies of documentation will go to the new owner.

Last edited by WhiteRat60; 05-20-2023 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Price reduction, grammatical errors, additional info
The following users liked this post:
sleepchamber (05-15-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 07:00 PM
Oldvetman
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 60

Where in California
Old 05-14-2023, 07:24 PM
WhiteRat60
Navigator

Los Angeles
Old 05-14-2023, 08:38 PM
Oldvetman
Intermediate

Default La

I have a friend in Tustin how far away is that from the car
Old 05-14-2023, 08:59 PM
WhiteRat60
Navigator

About an hours drive from Tustin. Sent you a PM.

Last edited by WhiteRat60; 05-14-2023 at 09:18 PM.
toddnakro (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 04:25 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,729 Likes on 811 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

It appears that the engine is NOM with the closed crankcase ventilation system. Do you have the original motor?
Old 05-15-2023, 08:22 PM
WhiteRat60
Navigator

We do not. I realize this would have made it a complete matching numbers car if he had spared the original 283 he took out of it in 1968. The rest of the driveline is original. It seems that the majority of fully restored C1's I have come across as sold listings come with a replacement 283 engine, selling in the 80-100k range with low or one owner history. This C1 would still need cosmetic restoration. There are receipts from 68 for a GM dealer replacement DZ (for a Z28) short block, pistons, crank, and heads followed by some issues with a St. Louis Chevrolet dealer service department, an independent diagnostic shop receipt, and a formal letter to GM - all transpiring between 68 and 69.. The block in it decoded as a 69, so he replaced (or GM replaced) the block and we believe he transplanted the 68 DZ pistons, crank, and heads the same year. From what I understand the DZ crank is worth some money these days, but you would have to drop the oil pan to tell. I think if someone wanted to finish the restoration on this car they will remove the engine residing in it for a replacement 283 and potentially pocket some cash for it, if it is in fact a GM counter replacement DZ from 68/69 but I'm no expert.
mfvVette (05-16-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 08:08 AM
WhiteRat60
Navigator

Price Drop: $72,500
Open to offers....

Happy Friday
Old 05-20-2023, 11:42 AM
Dboom
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1 1960

where does the car reside?

Dboom
Old 05-20-2023, 11:48 AM
WhiteRat60
Navigator

Originally Posted by Dboom
where does the car reside?

Dboom
Los Angeles
Old 05-24-2023, 02:57 PM
jonathand
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

PMed
WhiteRat60 (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 02:59 PM
Oldvetman
Intermediate

Default 60 for sale

I would still be interested at our previous discussed offer
WhiteRat60 (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 03:50 PM
WhiteRat60
Navigator

Waiting for instructions from her, gentlemen. Will PM asap in the order received and thank you.
Old 07-21-2023, 11:15 AM
Brian Edgeworth
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Did this sell? What was the price?
Old 07-21-2023, 05:57 PM
WhiteRat60
Navigator

SOLD $60k. Please remove. Thank you for the help from the Corvetteforum community!

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 C1 One Owner Ermine White on Red

Quick Reply: FS: 1960 C1 One Owner Ermine White on Red