C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Suspension work for a C2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 06:36 AM
mikeyandem
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension work for a C2?

What have you guys done to dramatically improve the handling of your C2? I know PST sells nice stuff, but is there something beyond that that anyone has done or that you can do? I am looking for the car to look stock, but handle better than stock. I know AME sells full rolling chassis, but not looking into anything like that..thanks..
Old 01-26-2005, 07:15 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By handling are you referring to cornering, ride over rough roads, or both?

I'd suggest looking at Vette Brakes catalog of goodies. They have from mild to wild. Wouldn't look stock but there front and real transverse leaf spring kit rocks. But they have different packages.

http://www.vbandp.com/

C2 Suspension Complete Systems Page

http://www.vbandp.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=184

----------------------------------------

Of course if you want to keep it stock looking, swapping out all the bushings for either new or rubber bushings (if they are worn/dried out at all), decent shocks and making sure the springs are not on thier way out, will help a great deal (and some decent sway bars).
Old 01-26-2005, 07:29 AM
vettes1st
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Radial tires will help the most, then quality gas shocks.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:00 AM
OverBudget
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've installed the complete VB&P system Joe spoke about above. You can email me if you have any questions.

I responded to your wheel thread too.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:34 AM
mikeyandem
Navigator

Me likey that site..

IMO those upgrades are pretty simple to do form the looks of it, and could be swapped with OE within a weekend. I just didn't want to have to do something as pricey or dramatic like a frame swap from AME.

What kind of handleing/stance does that give you? I don't suppose there are any performance numbers anywhere on their kits?

And by handleing I mean daily street driving. I don't want to get my fillings rattled out of my head as I drive, but I would not mind being able to out handle my wife in her Audi TT.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:51 AM
OverBudget
Pro

The complete VB&P system is both adjustable in ride height for front and back, as well as (4) different suspension stiffness settings. The guy that installed it had it on the stiffest setting and the car won't even flex when you are standing on the door sill. I'm guessing I will bump it down a notch or two...
Old 01-26-2005, 10:54 AM
VBP
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07,'13

Originally Posted by mikeyandem
Me likey that site..

IMO those upgrades are pretty simple to do form the looks of it, and could be swapped with OE within a weekend. I just didn't want to have to do something as pricey or dramatic like a frame swap from AME.

What kind of handleing/stance does that give you? I don't suppose there are any performance numbers anywhere on their kits?

And by handleing I mean daily street driving. I don't want to get my fillings rattled out of my head as I drive, but I would not mind being able to out handle my wife in her Audi TT.
Mikeyandem,

What exactly did you have in mind ? I'll be happy to discuss this with you at your leasure. We have our WINTER SALE going on until Friday the 28th. So if you're going to do some upgrades let me save you some $$$.

Tony
VBP
Old 01-26-2005, 12:14 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Handling starts with tires. You can spend hundreds on "suspension upgrades", but it you have nothing but rock hard S-rated tires on the car it will have limited grip.

The best available 15" speed rated tires and a little suspension tuning, primaily alignment and shocks, is all you need to make a C2 handle nearly as well as a contemporary sport sedan or mid range sports car.

This has all been discussed extensively in past threads.

Duke
Old 01-26-2005, 01:42 PM
bondtimbond
Instructor

If you live in an area with rough roads, and you enjoy driving your car regularly, you should watch out so you don't end up with a car that transmits too much of the road to your butt. I installed the Grand Touring System, that includes GT front springs and new larger front and rear bars, new KYB GR-2 shocks, and also installed poly bushings all around. The car handled nice and on rails, with good cornering ability and almost a go cart feel to it. I quickly got tired of the "jiggles" and the front-rear oscillations that the car had on Houston roads. After conversations with VBP, I changed the bars to the smallest front-rear bar combination they have (down to 1" front from the 1 1/8" that comes with the kit). That combo is much better for a small block car if you ask me. You should discuss that with them - it is "Gary" who I worked that out with and he agreed that a 1" front bar is more appropriate.

Just this past weekend, I decided to reinstall my original standard front springs so that I could compare directly. When I installed the GT coils a couple of years ago, the car had been off the road for awhile so I couldn't compare. Right now I have the 1" bar installed up front and the standard springs. My first impression: I like the ride!! Much more enjoyable on Houston roads. The bar still gives good cornering, and the poly bushings tighten up the handling and improve responsiveness (and no, I have had zero problems with squeaking). There are many many posts about bad experiences with poly bushings, so you will have to use your own judgment on that one. If you talk to "Robin" at VBP he will explain to you precisely what causes the squeaking and how to install the bushings correctly to hopefully prevent it. Unfortunately, the VBP kits and parts lack good instructions. You should call and talk to Robin or Gary BEFORE installing anything and make sure you follow their "undocumented" advice and tips.

Also, I would suggest that you get better shocks than the GR-2's that come with the kit. They don't have enough dampening for the GT coils. I am trying to decide what shocks to get myself, hence my post on the NCRS forum (and soon in this one) requesting shock suggestions.

Overall, VBP hardware is good stuff and high quality, but you have to consider carefully what you are trying to acheive with your car. Personally, I believe somebody needs to come out with front springs that fit C2 and C3 cars that is in-between the standard coils and the 460lb GT coils. Now THAT would be a good front spring....!!

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension work for a C2?

Quick Reply: Suspension work for a C2?