C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 with SRIII Motorsports C5 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 10:41 PM
mnavarro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C1 with SRIII Motorsports C5 suspension

Ok, I've had a 58 corvette for about 4 years now and I'm am looking to upgrade my car's drive train to c5 using the SRIII motorsports tube frame. Why C5, well me likey the weight distribution. My corvette is in pretty good shape and I will probably keep the old frame/running gear/motor. I'm more from the camp that corvettes are meant to be driven, and to me this is the ultimate synthesis between good classic looks and performance. I'm younger so please don't try to persuade me by screaming sacrilege.

What I would like is an understanding of all the parts and a reasonable budget for completing project. I will try to do most work myself, with the exception of the body mods. I also would like an understanding of how reversible the body mods are. I intend to keep the old frame/running gear motor so if inclined I could always return it back to stock.

Lastly, those existing members who have completed there upgrades please elaborate on performance considerations.

Thanks,
Miguel
Old 02-28-2005, 12:45 AM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I've got a 57' with the SRIII frame but I've got the C4 suspension. To many body mods to do the whole C5 deal for me. I believe but am not completely positive that you have to modify the whole tunnel to use the transaxle out of the C5. I would guess you would need a whole floor assy to go back after that. You also have to trim the inner fenders and spare tire well.

I sold all my original parts and wound up a little ahead money wise doing the swap, but I had a lot of good parts to start with and frames were still bringing a good buck.. Once you convert it you won't want to go back anyway.

If you have any questions there are plenty who have done this here that will help. However I dont believe anyone has done the front and rear C5 conversion.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:20 AM
vettes1st
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

The C-4 conversion requires only a minor notch here and there. That's what I would recommend. I've been studying a C-5 running gear project for some time and as Duntov-97 says, it will take major floor pan work. Worse yet, the suspension will require major mods to fit under the body. I won't recommend trying to out engineer GM.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:46 AM
mnavarro
Instructor

Originally Posted by vettes1st
The C-4 conversion requires only a minor notch here and there. That's what I would recommend. I've been studying a C-5 running gear project for some time and as Duntov-97 says, it will take major floor pan work. Worse yet, the suspension will require major mods to fit under the body. I won't recommend trying to out engineer GM.
I called srIII and it looks like a major project, I had no idea what I would be getting into. 3-4 weeks just to do the tunnel mod! I think c4 is the way to go! I can always relocate my battery to the back!
Old 02-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mnavarro
I called srIII and it looks like a major project, I had no idea what I would be getting into. 3-4 weeks just to do the tunnel mod! I think c4 is the way to go! I can always relocate my battery to the back!

I had Mike weld the battery box in the stock location. I've even got the Z bar clutch setup still. I like to keep it simple.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:06 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Like Bob, I kept my battery in the stock location. I fabricated my own bumper brackets and battery tray, but otherwise, Their chassis is very complete with almost no fabricating needed. You will need to notch out the spare tire compartment to clear the rear end, but that is about it.
The C5 suspension is a lot more work! He will now supply the C1 chassis with C5 front suspension, and he says that the geometry of the suspension is much better. I have a C2 chassis being built right now with C4 rearand C5 front suspension. Here are some pics of my C1 project.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=339303

Regards, John McGraw
Old 02-28-2005, 08:30 PM
Old Nash
Intermediate

Default c2

Nice looking c1. How does the car drive and handle with this c4/c5 suspension? Interested to see how your c2 turns out. Hope you post pictures of the build also.

Get notified of new replies

To C1 with SRIII Motorsports C5 suspension

Quick Reply: C1 with SRIII Motorsports C5 suspension