C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Differences among years

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 10:55 PM
GTS34
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thevettekid17
ok, so i think i've narrowed it down to a '66 coupe, and im not really worried about if the numbers are matching. can anyone give me a rough estimate at what im looking at paying? oh, and i also dont really care if its the original motor, i plan on eventually putting a 427 in it . thanks for all the help and info.
I think you will have to pay a minimum of $20K+ for a 66 Coupe (Body and Frame, no motor, trans, interior, etc.) Even a complete basket case missing the nose of the car, needing frame repairs etc, etc. will most likely run at least $15K. You cannot find a cheap C1 or C2 Corvette anymore, those days are long gone. Unless you have $20K+ for a rolling shell and another $20K+ just to get driveable, you might want to expand your options (C3 corvette, Camaro, Chevelle, etc.). Parts for Corvette's are also much more expensive than say a Camaro or Mustang so you have to take that into consideration too.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:02 AM
thevettekid17
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 65nassau
Take an experienced corvette person with you when you buy.
sounds like a perfect reason to have grandpa tag along . thanks for all the help, everybody. im thinking this maybe the perfect hobby for me.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Bill J
Instructor

Ask everyone you know especially Corvette owners. Join a local club. Attend swap meets and ask people with Vette parts about cars for sale.

Last year I bought a running 66 Coupe with a custom, god awful looking nose on it for $8500.00. Super frame, tired engine,4spd, quite complete. They are getting hard to find but they are out there.

Cheapest cars are someone else's project that they can't complete. Many times you can buy them below cost.

Have cash ready!!! You won't get any killer deals if you need to float a loan before you can complete a deal.

The less time you have, the more money you need.

Last edited by Bill J; 04-22-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:49 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,204 Likes on 492 Posts

Friend of mine just picked up a '65 big block NOM that was a project (body was off the car) for $4,000. Guy said that he would never finish the project. Car had $15K worth of parts with it. My friend is going to make it his driver. (He already has 7 vettes including 5 midyears and two C1s.)
Old 04-23-2005, 03:31 AM
thevettekid17
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill J
The less time you have, the more money you need.
well, since i'm only almost 18, and plan on being around for awhile, ive got all the time in the world. lol. so now ive just got to figure out where to look for the car i want.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:15 AM
Donn 66
Pro

CI3 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In III Veteran

[QUOTE=Seaside63]Be smart and buy the most complete, running car you can afford. You can get a bank loan on a running, registered car. Much better to put your $10,000 down and make payments on a better car than pay-as-you-go for parts and services.

Not only is it cheeper but you will be able to drive it and enjoy the car as you work on it!!! I could have bought a "turn-Key" for a lot less but I enjoy doing it myself and seeing the difference from before and after. The only thing I wish I would have waited for a convertible

Quick Reply: Differences among years