C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need Advice On Buying a Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 09:19 AM
f2023
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt anyone could have said it better than BarryK. I don't love my car as much, but drive the hell out of it, and would miss it if it wasn't in the garage. Barry you can have one of my kids, I'm still supporting them and they are in their late 20's.
If you take a look at the pictures I posted yesterday, the c2's were selling from 35 to 39k, except the primered one. None of these were orginal cars.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll put it this way...

I've read many postings lately from people, some even 17 years old, that really want to find a somewhat affordable Corvette that they can bring home and fix up to enjoy and show.

Many of these people are willing to start from only a body and frame if that's what it takes.

Then this person shows up here, asking advice from us on how he can maximize his profit.

Why should we tell him anything? He's only here to scr*w someone. He wants to scr*w the current owner out of the car because he smells a problem between the man (that has worked as hard as he can to get this car in the road) and his impatient wife.

This person shows up here, asking how to cheat the "seller" as badly as possible, make the minimum investment in the car as possible, then sell the car to an appreciative buyer for the highest price possible.

He wants to scr*w the seller, scr*w the CAR, and scr*w the buyer.

And he expects this information on how to scr*w US - for FREE ?

Sorry, I'm not playing that game.

Last edited by Seaside63; 04-22-2005 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

I'll put it this way...

I've read many postings lately from people, some even 17 years old, that really want to find a somewhat affordable Corvette that they can bring home and fix up to enjoy and show.

Many of these people are willing to start from only a body and frame if that's what it takes.

Then this person shows up here, asking advice from us on how he can maximize his profit.

Why should we tell him anything? He's only here to screw someone. He wants to scr*w the current owner out of the car because he smells a problem between the man (that has worked as hard as he can to get this car in the road) and his impatient wife.

This person shows up here, asking how to cheat the "seller" as badly as possible, make the minimum investment in the car as possible, then sell the car to an appreciative buyer for the highest price possible.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:13 AM
LS6Wrench
Navigator

I am Ok with some of what you say but disagree with some of it also.

I would not care if you showed up on any forum and said just what I said ...fact is what I said is what I might do. If you wanted to do the same thing on a Mustang or a Chrysler product and I LOVED those brands I honestly would not give a hoot. If I was not able to do the work myself on this hypothetical Chrysler or Ford or whatever and I loved those cars I might actually thank you for doing an incorrect car that I could afford. I gotta add though I don't love inanimate objects. I don't name inanimate objects eather.

You guys seem to want it both ways High prices are OK for profit but bad for the Hobby. Hmmmmm........seems contradictory to me. Contrdictory is not the right word and I can't seem to fnd the right one. Illogocal? High prices do exclude people from the Corvette hobby (and from othercar hobby segments). That exclusion is a matter of degree: more exclusion form the Vette Hobby less exclusion from the I dunno Kaiser Frasier hobby if there is one but exclusion none the less. Capitolism again pure and simple. People are excluded form gated neighborhoods people are priced out of 3 BR ranchs SOME people are excluded from nice apartments. Apparently most of the members here, 99.9% by your account, would prefer to exclude from ownership those folks who do not see the cars in the same light you do. I think that is sorta clubby and narrow in perspective.

I also sense that you are takin umbrage in the fact that if I buy this car someone here might be a customer after I put it together. Well if that is the case ..so be it. I said it twice before and I am gonna say it again...no chicken wire, no spit and no duct tape...I don't operate that way. I don't operate by jumpin off the deep end chasin down the correct dated parts when any alternator / carb / master cyl will work. It just is not that important to me to have the car that obsessively correct. If someone wants to buy it the way I reassemble it great ...if they don't that is OK to. They move on and I will move on.

For me the entire crux of this conversation hinges on what price I can buy it for and what price I can sell it for. Nothin else matters because while I think the cars are cool and a ride thru the mountains with the top down is fun that is the end of the "affair" at least for me. We take the car out and at the end of the day we have had a nice ride today then we park the car. Next spring or this fall if I still have the car we can have another nice ride. We could have just as nice a ride in a pickup truck or an Austin Healy or my wifes Lexus.

As for I don't know about Vettes and I come over here askin questions the answers to which might help me put a car togther that offends or annoys the purists. Well yes I don't know everything about Vettes but I sure know more about fixing things than many of the posters here. I see questions that are clearly written from a very very limited mechanical experience point of view. I also see questions that are clearly written by folks with far more mechanical experience than me.

Point is my questions were about "the numbers" that drive this hobby so much. In the end if I do this car it will end up with the wrong carb, the worng mster cyl and the wrong alternator...all things that are right out, if you will, "In your face" where the buyer can see them.

Even that level of incorrectness and my unwillingness to correct the incorrectness seems to get noses outta joint here. Heck I could likely reassemble this car in a day if I had a skilled helper. I could waste many days and dollars looking for those three correct components. What for? Let the next owner have fun (?????) of doing that after I do (and get paid for ) the grunt work.

Seems fair to me.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:30 AM
ispanic
Heel & Toe

This is no different than any other dealer who sells a Corvette. If someone can make money on a car or anything else then they will. How many Corvette owners would like to sell their cars for thousands less than it is worth to someone who can't afford one just for the love of the hobby? I have yet to meet a Corvette parts dealer that wants to sell me an NOS part for less than it is worth because they love Corvettes so much and want to help me restore it correctly. The price of cars is what it is because people will pay it. It doesn't sound like he was trying to screw anybody, just find out some info and see if this car would be worth his time to put back together and sell.

I think it's good he wants to put the car back together and make some money. Better than sitting in a garage in parts.

I also like my Corvette and think they are great cars but I don't give them names and I could live without it. I also don't think poorly of people that do. It's just an object, beautiful as it may be. Does that mean I care less or I will be slime when and if I try to get top dollar for it someday?

Please set your weapons to stun, I like the Forum and come in peace.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:55 AM
LS6Wrench
Navigator

"Then this person shows up here, asking advice from us on how he can maximize his profit."

Listen up Mr Seaside. I never asked about MAXIMIZATION of profit I asked what the car will sell for in the condition which I stated I intend to return it to. Profit is determined by margin and I don't know what I gotta pay for this bucket of bolts yet. Tell me just once that confronted with the car I have described at a sale price of say I dunno 20K you would run away because it was too cheap and you be screwing the seller because you would make money if you asked and received fair market of say $35K and I will tell ya you are full of S______

I never said anything about screwin anybody. You are reading that I am trying to screw the seller and the buyer and you are flat full of it. I am gonna buy a car that is not running from a guy who can't get it running for a price. Eather I like what he is willing to sell it for or I don't. If I don't I walk simple. As for the sell side I don't know how you conclude I plan to screw the buyer. ONCE AGAIN LIKE I SAID 3 times now. I am not planning on using spit chewing gum and bailing wire. I am talking about buying a car getting it running, assigning a price and selling it. It is called risk taking not screwing. I am takin a risk. You make my motives sound like those guys at Columbine. Just aint so.

I looked at a couple of your posts. Seems you have been (Your words here Mr Corvette) "paralized" about doing a stroker motor or putting some one piece front end on your car for a number of years. Neither of those parts are "original" so I submit if you ever sell your car the buyer of your car is gettin screwed and that you are planning right now to screw him just like you assert I am planning to screw who ever buys this car. How does that taste Mr Seaside???????????????????

We could have a had a nice discussion here but you got your nose outta joint and shot from the lip because of your emotional attachment to these 35 year old piles of fiberglas. You want to live in some sort of Corvette KumByYa world where the laws of economics and supply and demand are suspended because you love your car. . Well I don't wanna live there amongst the daisies and the pretty cars.

As for your stroker / one piece front end garage queen. I sure hope when you get it running , if you ever get it running considering the glacial pace at which you move, and decide to sell ityou better tell the buyer what ya paid seven years ago and ya better not make a profit on the costs of the body reload and the stroker motor rebuild. If you do you are screwing the buyer, wreckin the hobby and generally upsetting the balance of nature.

Only difference I can see between you and me is I move faster...likely cause I know more about reciprocating assemblies / main bearing sizes and ECONOMICS and less about these silly stamped numbers.Then we have the need to be sure every Corvette goes to a good home. Are we talkin about cars or orphaned children here? Take a deep breath you are way over the top on this car love stuff.

Keep leadin with your lip looks good swollen.

Last edited by LS6Wrench; 04-22-2005 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

And the true nature of this man is exposed....
Old 04-22-2005, 02:48 PM
ispanic
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by vark_wso
I own 26,204 (July 13th St. Louis ***'y date) & it has the xxxx462 heads.
My car is 26,062 (July 11th St. Louis). Same heads, Casting dates F276 and F16. Block casting E276
Old 04-23-2005, 02:39 AM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm with seaside and BarryK and probably many others that don't want to get involved with you. There's nothing wrong with making a profit for your hard work but you attitude says more. The purpose and existence of this forum is more for people that appreciate these cars than just for making money which you obviously do not. The name calling isn't neccesary but being tough over the 'net is pretty easy too. Your lip sounds like it could use some work too. No sweat.
I vote we ignore this guy till [if] his attitude changes.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:51 AM
LS6Wrench
Navigator

Not to worry I am outta here anyway. This place does appear to have no room for different though patterns and frankly I don't want to participate in lock step everyone thinks the same way love fest involving cars.

Going to think about a name for the car and get myself lined up with a private eye so I will be ready to check on the background and morals of the next buyer when I have the car ready. Can't let the car head for a bad home now can we???? Just so you know ...I will determine the quality of the home it goes to by the color and amount of the buyers money.... make no mistake about that.

As for my lip, I only shot back after being shot at first. You guys just cannot accept the idea that I want to make a few bucks, I don't wanna bother to get the correct parts and I will turn the car around in a week or so.

Here is the real crux of your problem: You are reacting emotionally to words like "Slap it together" and "flip" and you cannot handle that concept when it comes to your precious Corvettes. You just appreciate them and love them too much. In both cases, appreciation and love, you are attaching to inanimate obects the kind of affections that you should reserve for your family and friendsl.

As for my attitude, well that is what it is ..you are 100000% right I don't love these cars. I don't hate them eather they are just cars to me. I don't love things that are inanimate. Would I like to own another one for awhile? Sure, would I rather die than let one go...nope, whould I chase high and low to find that perfect correct part... nope. Would I name a car.....oh please. Am I screwing anyone when this car goes back together and it is sold nope.

Don't you just wish you could buy it and give it a good home and love it and give it a name and provide it with correct parts and , God Forgive you, sell it for some extra cash above and beyond what you paid?

A few people here seem to have a wider view of the situation but likely they are the .01% of the population who someone mentioned earlier the rest are just car huggers.

Gotta go now and cuddle with my current project car. You can all rest now the wicked poster has left your midst. Now all go an hug your Vettes.

Last edited by LS6Wrench; 04-23-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:32 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Which is why you never filled in your profile to begin with.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:14 PM
ispanic
Heel & Toe

I hope that people don't get discouraged from posting in the future. It is a forum and everyone is entitled to an opinion without being ostracized for it.

Two good things came from this person's post and those are that he had the brains to come here and ask about the numbers being correct which to me is better than not caring to look into it and maybe changing something that is original (like the engine). I also found the posting of the different casting dates of interest since my car is close in build date so at least for me it was of interest.

On second thought I do have a name for my car but I could not say it here in a decent public forum and it changes depending on how much money it cost me in a certain week and what new gremlin pops up
Old 04-23-2005, 03:56 PM
heycorey
Advanced

Originally Posted by Seaside63
I'll put it this way...

Why should we tell him anything? He's only here to scr*w someone. He wants to scr*w the current owner out of the car because he smells a problem between the man (that has worked as hard as he can to get this car in the road) and his impatient wife.

Well said! Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with fixing up/selling cars. But the guy's opening sentence said it all; his interests lie elsewhere. And if he can't allow some constructive criticism without going off on a rant, he ought not to be here anyways. I did get one good piece of advice from this guy though ... I just came in from giving my Vette a great big hug ... I luuuvs my little blue corvette!

Quick Reply: Need Advice On Buying a Car