C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Maybe this is slightly sacrilegious...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 11:08 PM
C2IT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe this is slightly sacrilegious...

...but tomorrow I'm picking up a new F150. I showed some interest in it's towing capabilites, (around 8000 lbs) and right in front of my wife, the saleman asks me what I'm going to be towing! :o

Uh, gee, ummmm, I don't know...

Old 04-27-2005, 11:14 PM
dp57
Intermediate

SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A DODGE!
Old 04-27-2005, 11:22 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Get a rope! Time for a necktie party.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:23 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Last edited by 67L36Driver; 04-28-2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:46 PM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dp57
SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A DODGE!
Dodge? Keep that Dodge in you garage and drive a Chevy truck!
Old 04-28-2005, 12:24 AM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mecom Racer
Dodge? Keep that Dodge in you garage and drive a Chevy truck!
Forget the truck and drive that Corvette !!
Old 04-28-2005, 01:10 AM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't feel bad i just bought a Toyota Tacoma. The difference in road noise and the ride was far superior in the Toyota compared to the Ford and Chevy trucks. I hate to buy a foriegn car, but if our manufacturers cant keep up then thats the way it is.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:29 AM
OldDog58Vette
Burning Brakes

Location: Bonner Springs Kansas... pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. Hay...I know that guy!

Originally Posted by Corbrastang
Don't feel bad i just bought a Toyota Tacoma. The difference in road noise and the ride was far superior in the Toyota compared to the Ford and Chevy trucks. I hate to buy a foriegn car, but if our manufacturers cant keep up then thats the way it is.
BUY A DODGE!!! Ford and Chevy trucks are
Old 04-28-2005, 07:33 AM
don peters
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default foreign vehicles

The trade balance or more appropriately inbalance for this last February was 61 BILLION DOLLARS. Do you really think that this doesn't matter? Buying foreign, is showing everyone that you either don't know what the deficit is all about or you don't care.

when YOU buy foreign, YOU export American jobs.

This unchecked attitude is contributing to the demise of our country.

Sorry about any Flame, but this hits a nerve with me, as does Mall Wart buying 70% of their merchandise from China.

Nothing but tail lights [American made]
Don
Old 04-28-2005, 08:05 AM
60vett
Pro

Not trying to flame here, but since my livlihood relies on mfg, I feel I have to. Buying foreign is going to put our kids directly in china's sites. Shame on you and on all that do . THe back of my 2005 silverado (built in fort wayne) has a vinyl stick "Imports....every p&^%y has one. Except the sticker spells it out clearly. Sorry for venting, but we should be taking care of our own first.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:13 AM
stepinwolf
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 67L36Driver

Did you ever ask your self why there is a guy missing from this groupe activity .?

It use to include the guy who now owns a ford.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:28 AM
EZG63Conv
Instructor

Default To each his own....

2000, F-350 CC 4x4. 7.3L Diesel. In 2000, only CC you could get was a Ford (Got a family to haul around). Couldn't be happier. After five years still tight. Owned a Chevy, Dodge too before and they all had interior rattles after a year. Ford fit and finish on their trucks are higher quality IMO than the others. To each his own though.... BTW also have a Toyota Seq (Wife's).

Old 04-28-2005, 08:35 AM
stepinwolf
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default One of these days

Originally Posted by Corbrastang
Don't feel bad i just bought a Toyota Tacoma. The difference in road noise and the ride was far superior in the Toyota compared to the Ford and Chevy trucks. I hate to buy a foreign car, but if our manufacturers cant keep up then thats the way it is.
You know, even when our children are not quite up to our expectations, we still love them, and will stick with them through h-ll or high water. If everyone took the same road as you have just done, one of these days in the not to distant future, the big three will be called honda, toyota, and some other Asian crap builder

No personal offence meant Corbrastang, but this is my rant, and as long as this trade disparity exists, I have no apologies for anyone

People, drive your GM vehicles as if each day was your last.

BTW for those who have a " for what ever reason they can think of " preferences for imports, you do understand that if ever because of lost sales GM " God forbid " ever goes under, it will also include the Corvette as we know it. But that shouldn't bother the import crowd, because if ever it happens, the Asians will come out with their own version , and it will probably be called the Kor-Vet
Old 04-28-2005, 09:07 AM
hoolies
Advanced

Default f-250

i do not know more than anybody,but am 2nd generation with many
pickups over the years,we are ranchers and use these trucks dailey,
we how have 4 in use.the f150 is to small for that trailer,it will pull it
but is not enough truck for it.the f-250 would be alot better and safer.
there are many reasons for this.if i can help let me know.my 2cents.
hoolies
Old 04-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Brutal64
Burning Brakes

What would be sacraligous is if you put the Vette in the trailer.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

i don't want to strike anymore nerves, but a lot of the parts on new american cars are made overseas. I am not trying to starve anybodys grandchildren, just trying to make sure i don't strave by paying for repairs on a new truck.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Nicky71
Drifting

Default Funny story

It's OK, I have had lots of Fords for daily drivers (current is a 2001 Mustang GT) and Ford trucks are as tough as trucks come IMO. Aside from Ford's horrible dealer network (I honestly believe their dealers are instructed to go out of their way to **** off customers) they have a good product.

Incidentally, we trailered my friend's 71 Chevelle to the super Chevy show at Memphis two weeks ago behind his 2003 F-150 FX4. The car corral was pretty muddy, but hell we had 4WD. Pulling the trailer around on the grass to get it into position, we of-course got stuck in the mud. Had to get pulled out by a Chevy K3500 dually. Needless to say, the irony wasn't lost on many of the observant showgoers around us.

Get notified of new replies

To Maybe this is slightly sacrilegious...

Old 04-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

I buy a lot of American made Corvette parts so that should make up for it. If it helps i did buy the truck used. So, technically you could blame the first owner. My last chevy fell apart at 120,000-literally. However, i hope they improve and when they do i will definately take the toyo to the scrap yard and go buy a new chevy.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:47 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

nothing gets the juices flowing like politics, religion or pickup truck manufacturer!

I have friends who have serious issues with their Dodge trucks (engine/drivetrain issues), and these are guys who rely on their trucks for a living. Still, I loved the looks when they first came out. I owned a Durango once and it was a great vehcile.

I have friends who swear by Ford trucks, and these guys too rely on their trucks for a living (tradesman, landscaping, etc.) I have a Bro-in-law who is a Ford exec, I can buy Fords (and Jags and Land Rovers etc etc.) at an "A-List" company discount (significant), and yet, I have not bought a Ford anything, because Fords simply don't seem to speak to me / give me any sort of wood. (GT350 excepted!) - IF I could swing a Jag XK8 Super I would do it tho.

I Drive an 02 Chevy Avalanche 4x4, I was the "first kid on the block" to have it when it first came out in the fall of '01, it's a truck when I need it to be (the bed swallows a 4x8 sheet of ply in expanded configuration, tailgate closed) and I pulled my pal's F250 4x4 out of a swamp with it.

In fact, not that I am the kind of guy to buy a car based on patriotic views (I AM very patriotic, but I do put my $$ to its best use, if that means a foriegn car, I have gone there before) BUT at present, my "fleet" is all GM - GMC Envoy SLT, Chev Avalanche and the 65 Chev Corvette.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:58 AM
don peters
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Foreign goods

Research and education will provide a whole new perspective on the effects of this practice. I would challenge anyone who truly knows what these effects are, to justify buying foreign and not supporting his own neighbors and country.
It's not always the other guy's fault.
What goes around comes around. Our present situtation is a perfect example of what no loyalty can accomplish.??? Just do the math and make a informed decisions.

Nothing but tail lights. [American made]

Don

Quick Reply: Maybe this is slightly sacrilegious...