C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1-C4 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 03:51 PM
61iwon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power steering & Air

Originally Posted by Woozster
Okay, well your comments are very encouraging. I really don't want to go through the process of finding all of the original bits and pieces, so buying a complete car to modify seems like the most sense. I have seen a good '62 with a strong engine for around $35. I could get a SRIII chassis and C4 suspension for $12000. But I would REALLY like to have power steering and A/C. It seems I could get all that for $60k but I just don't have access to tools and equipment. What do you guys think?
I would think that if you're replacing frame and suspension. You would automatically install power steering, the additional cost would be insignficant compared to what you are already spending.

I too would like to do this with my '61 but don't have the budget for it at this time. I have been considering it for some time. Got the engine and 5 speed put in last winter. Went over the budget I had expected but not too bad.

I think you can find a car for less than $35K to start with to lower your costs.

It will be an expensive project though, you can be sure. The wow factor of these old cars is so much cooler than a newer one to most of the people. That makes it more fun.

There was an issue of Vette ? magazine that just went through some of the issues with projects like you are considering. It would be very helpful to you. Rich Lagasse knows this type of project well. He is very friendly. You should check his website. Just search for his name and you will find it.

Best of luck, Dave
Old 06-28-2005, 04:00 PM
Woozster
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would help if I included the LINK! Here we go...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...559116794&rd=1

Matt
Old 06-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Woozster
Heel & Toe

Geez! It would help if I included the LINK! Here we go...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...559116794&rd=1

Matt
Old 06-28-2005, 05:40 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

62forlife,
I like the aftermarket A/C heating units. They allow you to slick up the firewall and have no part of the heater or A/C unit sticking out of it.
I am partial to Hot Rod Air since they are only about 25 miles from me, but Vintage Air is also within spitting distance of me and they make a nice system as well.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 06-28-2005, 05:47 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Woozster,
I would probably restore that particular car, but every person needs to make their own decision. I personally would never resto-rod a car that is a good candidate for restoration, but that is just me. I also build NCRS judged cars as well as resto-rods, so I am allways looking for good restoration projects as well, and I would find the correct engine block for that 60 and have that car on the judging field within the year.
In order to keep your costs down, it helps to find a car that is as complete as possible, and this car looks pretty complete.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 06-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vette rod
I agree Bobs car is a nice piece.

www.pugesekmotorsports.com

Thanks for the props John and Larry. :o

I think you can find a much better candidate than that car.
Find a NOM car with good cosmetics and you will save yourself a ton of hassle and money.

I know where there is a 62 for 40K that has had a body off with new paint,( 01 Vette Mag Red) interior,(black) and chrome. It has a rebuilt 350/350 HP, rebuilt T10 and a super frame you could get good money for. I could probably get the hardtop thrown in for that price too. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:01 AM
Woozster
Heel & Toe

That '62 sounds nice. Can I see some pictures? I would prefer a tuxedo black body but beggars can't be choosers.

Woozster
SketcherFunk71@yahoo.com
Old 06-30-2005, 04:57 AM
DutchJ&M
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
I have created a web site that might be of interest as it has links to many of the conversion frame suppliers: http://www.carols62.com

Charles
You have a great site but I cann't imagine that I'm the first one that was on it.
"You are visitor number 00001 since February 3, 2003"
Old 06-30-2005, 07:18 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by DutchJ&M
You have a great site but I cann't imagine that I'm the first one that was on it.
"You are visitor number 00001 since February 3, 2003"
Thanks for letting me know. I'll look into it.
Charles

Quick Reply: C1-C4 Conversion