C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fiberglass Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 07:44 PM
PierreOlivier
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fiberglass Assistance

Anyone out there who lives near Woodland Hills, CA who knows how to do fiberglass work (panel replacement) who would like to earn some money assisting/instructing me on repairing my 63 Convertible?
Old 10-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Frapps
Pro

Glassman Dan. Just finished up replacing the front clip on my 64 and getting the entire car under gel-coat. Wouldn't use anyone else.

Downside is you may have to wait a while for your project to work it's way up his list. He has several projects going at the same time. Upside is you get to keep your car because all work is done at your house.

http://www.glassmandan.com/index.html

I have several pics of him in action if you're interested.

Frapps
Old 10-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Russ T Gate
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pierre
Chatsworth used to be my old stomping grounds, would have been a stones throw away but I relocated to northeren Calif in the seventies. If you don't get any takers on your offer don't give up. There are many books and internet articles on this subject. Do a little reading and research and attempt it yourself. start with the small repairs and see how it goes. If this doesn't work out for you seek out professional help.
Good luck
Russ
Old 10-16-2005, 10:53 PM
PierreOlivier
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

To Frapps - thanks - I sent an email to Dan to see when he is available.

To Russ - I got a bunch of literature but it seems a little daunting. The car needs a new front end, new back quarter panels to remove badly done flairs, etc. At the very least I need some direction.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Frapps
Pro

Originally Posted by PierreOlivier
To Frapps - thanks - I sent an email to Dan to see when he is available.

To Russ - I got a bunch of literature but it seems a little daunting. The car needs a new front end, new back quarter panels to remove badly done flairs, etc. At the very least I need some direction.

What you have described there is major surgery for your car. Reading books and doing small patch repairs can not prepare you for the enormity of a front end replacement or flare removals. There actually is some science to glass repair. For example everything you do to the raw glass, like sanding, fillers used, chemicals used or even touching it, can and will eventually show through in the paint job. Seen it happen.

I consider myself a seasoned hot rod mechanic and restorer but I would still have a professional come in and do any work on the skin of my cars. Glass is fun and amazingly simple. I have patched cracks and plug holes on my vettes but only on the firewall and the floor boards. Well, I did reglass the inside of my exhaust panel but only after getting approval from Dan.

Just my $.02. I'm sure there are plenty of other opinions. My 64's prep work has been going on for about 18 months now. My point is glass repair is a slow process don't rush it or THAT will show up in the paint also. My 64 sat out in the hot desert sun for months to help bake the glass and bring out any cracks that may be hiding. After each session of repair work the car went back outside and sat.

The glass work is now complete and all I need to do is primer, sand, primer, sand, primer, sand, paint, admire.

Here's a pic from a few months ago. Currently it has 6 coats of black gel-coat and is will go out into the sun (when the rain stops) and sit for a few months (til Feb, 06 or so) until I finish the frame and can start on the primer/sand part.

Sorry if this got a bit long. I'd be more than happy to pass on all that I saw or learned during this process.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:15 AM
PierreOlivier
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is the reply from Dan:

I no longer do Mid-Years. I send them to Bill Headley of Corvette Connexion....909-981-9955

I am pretty patient, however, I don't want this to be the project that never gets done. I don't want to experiment and ruin some expensive new fiberglass. I also don't want to pay the huge prices I have been quoted to just put on one panel.

I have considered this may be a bigger project than I can handle.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Cpe04
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=Frapps]What you have described there is major surgery for your car. Reading books and doing small patch repairs can not prepare you for the enormity of a front end replacement or flare removals.
What you're describing would be beyond the capabilities of a do it yourselfer in most cases.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:16 PM
Frapps
Pro

Originally Posted by PierreOlivier
Here is the reply from Dan:

I no longer do Mid-Years. I send them to Bill Headley of Corvette Connexion....909-981-9955

I am pretty patient, however, I don't want this to be the project that never gets done. I don't want to experiment and ruin some expensive new fiberglass. I also don't want to pay the huge prices I have been quoted to just put on one panel.

I have considered this may be a bigger project than I can handle.

WOW, sorry I didn't know he was getting out of the mid-year projects. I guess he's going to concentrate on C-1s only.

I don't know Bill Headley but it's worth the time to call and talk to him. What kind of quotes are you getting? I haven't (and won't) added up the total cost of body work so far but I'd guess it to be around $6-7K.

Don't give up yet.

Frapps
Old 10-17-2005, 12:32 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Default fiberglass repair

6-7 grand sounds cheap for the amount of work required. Mounting the panels is half the work, getting things to line up and fit properly is the time well spent. If you bought the car at a reasonable price ( by the condition described you must have ) than adding another 10 to get the body straight and shiney your on the final lap. Most people are under the impression these are 50 grand cars so like the old saying.... you have to have money to make money. ( or invest a little to get alot ). Good luck !
Old 10-17-2005, 01:32 PM
Frapps
Pro

Originally Posted by jrs 427
6-7 grand sounds cheap for the amount of work required. Mounting the panels is half the work, getting things to line up and fit properly is the time well spent. If you bought the car at a reasonable price ( by the condition described you must have ) than adding another 10 to get the body straight and shiney your on the final lap. Most people are under the impression these are 50 grand cars so like the old saying.... you have to have money to make money. ( or invest a little to get alot ). Good luck !

Here's how it started on Oct 19, 2003.

Third tail light and all.

Last edited by Frapps; 10-17-2005 at 01:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fiberglass Assistance

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Assistance