C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Inner Fender Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 10:36 PM
3Mar67
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 55 Posts

Default Inner Fender Problem

I took my 67 coupe to a Corvette body shop because my hood doesn't line up with the fender surround on the right side of the car. I thought it was because my hood was bowed or warped. The guy at the body shop says the inner fender was improperly bonded. He says he may be able to crack the bond with a chisel and rebond it in the right position (higher). But there's no guarantee the paint won't be disturbed (cracked). Anyone heard of this or had it done or seen it done? Is there a good chance it can be done without causing the paint to crack? I'd like the hood to fit properly, but I can't afford a repaint right now if something goes wrong.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:01 PM
3Mar67
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 55 Posts

Default Re: Inner Fender Problem (3Mar67)

Any advice on whether or not it's safe to crack and rebond?
Old 08-06-2001, 05:54 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Inner Fender Problem (3Mar67)

I remember your post before about the "bowed" hood. Several, including myself suggested it might be the surround panel/fender, etc. If the body shop thinks they can "release/cut" the bonding on the inner fender, I would think that this would allow the surround to come up, BUT....if I were in the body biz, I certainly wouldn't guarantee that the paint wouldn't crack or craze. Actually I would think that it would, maybe not immediately, but fairly soon thereafter. I think you would be taking your chances....you might end up repainting the surround panel/hood/maybe the front end to get a match or blend. Not the news you're looking for but I hope this helps. Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To Inner Fender Problem

Quick Reply: Inner Fender Problem