C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

"Pro-street" my '67 Vert?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 10:06 AM
unreel1967
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default "Pro-street" my '67 Vert?

I've been trying to sell my 67' Vert project but after seeing Rod Saboury's pro-steet (Ebay Item# 4600909678 ) , i'm seriously thinking about "pro-streeting" mine!!

Anyone know of who makes pre-fab subframes for cars like these?
Happy new year to all!!
Old 12-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Toms-68
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drag raced for many years and any local race shop will know of someone that can help you with a frame of any kind.
Tom
Old 12-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Nicky71
Drifting

I hate the looks of Pro Street cars, and I think that particular 67 is one of the most tastelessly done custom Vettes I have seen. I would pass on the Pro Street treatment, but if you like it then don't let me slow you down
Old 12-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Crazyhorse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by unreel1967
I've been trying to sell my 67' Vert project but after seeing Rod Saboury's pro-steet (Ebay Item# 4600909678 ) , i'm seriously thinking about "pro-streeting" mine!!
That's OK if you just want to drag race it, but once tubbed it's really no good for the street.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:54 AM
GOSFAST
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Pro-Streeter Driven Daily

Below is a couple of shots of a "Pro-Streeter" that's been done and driven for over 30 years. He's actually friends with Rod S. Thanks, Gary in N.Y.
P.S. He's a close personal friend of mine and built the entire car himself. Runs 10.20's/10.40's with a 355" SB roller unit I did 15 years ago. Still runs fine, it's not a pump-gas unit however.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:58 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Happy new year to all!!
http://www.artmorrison.com/

You can either get a complete frame or contact them for help with the subframe to see if they can.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:11 PM
Jvmc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nicky71
I hate the looks of Pro Street cars, and I think that particular 67 is one of the most tastelessly done custom Vettes I have seen. I would pass on the Pro Street treatment, but if you like it then don't let me slow you down

while I understand some people are not big fans of pro street cars, I personally am, and would disagree that this car was tasteless. Having seen the car at Carlisle it was probably one of the nicer pro street cars I have seen. I am actually going up to see the car tomorrow and a few of Rod's other cars. The fact I am converting a 58 ex race car into a pro street car, I am all for you doing the conversion. Be prepared to spend some $$$$$$$....
Old 12-31-2005, 12:18 AM
unreel1967
Burning Brakes

Fair trade-off?
Since my car is convertible, I am now re-considering.
Is there a some way to do this "pro-street" thing w/o compromising the usage of my soft top?
Old 12-31-2005, 12:32 AM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey unreel1967,

If you want to get the BIG $$$$ for you 1967 you should install a LS6 or LS7 and a frame with C5 running gear, it seems to be the hottest thing and they are demanding good money. You will need some deep pockets, but if you already have the donor car you are half way. I bought my 1963 to do the same, but I just do not have the time to tackle the project. You not only get the timeless body but you get the nicest ride.

Resto rods are going for big $$$. You can sell off the frame and all the original parts to get some capital. By the way how long has that 1967 been in Guam? and why was it brought over? I lived in Japan for many years and Guam was the vacation spot, never made it there, but always wanted to check it out.

oWEN

Fair trade-off?
Is there a some way to do this "pro-street" thing w/o compromising the usage of my soft top?
Old 12-31-2005, 12:38 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,017 Likes on 4,821 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vintagecorvette
Hey unreel1967,

If you want to get the BIG $$$$ for you 1967 you should install a LS6 or LS7 and a frame with C5 running gear, it seems to be the hottest thing and they are demanding good money. You will need some deep pockets, but if you already have the donor car you are half way. I bought my 1963 to do the same, but I just do not have the time to tackle the project. You not only get the timeless body but you get the nicest ride.

Resto rods are going for big $$$. You can sell off the frame and all the original parts to get some capital. By the way how long has that 1967 been in Guam? and why was it brought over? I lived in Japan for many years and Guam was the vacation spot, never made it there, but always wanted to check it out.

oWEN
no I belive BB clones are they way to go if you are going to restore a 67 vert. I here the bet place to sell them is on ebay as all orginal L88's or L89
Old 12-31-2005, 02:05 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Pro Street: It too will pass.

That's OK if you just want to drag race it, but once tubbed it's really no good for the street.
Unlike C2 Corvettes, which were built not only to go fast but also give a good account of itself in the handling department. Cameros, Novas and Chevelles were/are mostly a straight line proposition with turning/handling a secondary proposition at best. Pro Street works for them but somewhere down the road Pro Street is a phase that will pass like cruiser skirts and lowering blocks did.
Picture the day when when restorers of the future will bemoan the butchery done to them by tubbing and narrowed 9" with 4 link and coil overs.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:13 PM
Sean Dunshee
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are still planning on selling the car would you mind emailing some pics and a price. How complete is the car? azbowtie@***.net
Old 12-31-2005, 03:27 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess Pro-Street is cool if you live in a place with only straight roads that are each 1/4 mile long.

Other than that, the cars make no more sense to me than when guys take an F150 pickup and jack it 5 feet in the air with a bunch of bigfoot tires under there.

Who wants to drive a car that will fall off the road at the first curve?

But its your car....
Old 12-31-2005, 06:32 PM
Jvmc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Pro Street

Went up and saw Rod Saboury today, and must admit his 67 pro street car is nicer then when I saw it at Carlisle. Whether you like the looks of pro street or not, the workmanship on the car is outstanding.

That is a driveable car and wouldn't say you would fall off the road on the first curve....

Told me the car was sold, just working out the last details with the buyer.....He also had a few other Vettes for sale, 66 Coupe, 58 body on restoration, 61 driver, 62 which needs total restoration.

Spent about 3 hours there today and he is probably one of the nicest guys you will ever talk to about cars.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:58 PM
unreel1967
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sean Dunshee
If you are still planning on selling the car would you mind emailing some pics and a price. How complete is the car? azbowtie@***.net
Hi sean, pics sent. Happy new year!!
Old 01-01-2006, 12:36 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
no I belive BB clones are they way to go if you are going to restore a 67 vert. I here the bet place to sell them is on ebay as all orginal L88's or L89
The only way to make big bucks on a Bigblock clone it to mis-represent it! If you list it as a clone, it will not bring big bucks. The nice thing about a resto rod with late model running gear, is nobody will ever accuse you of representing it as a correct, numbers matching car!

Regards, John McGraw

Last edited by John McGraw; 01-01-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:44 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Fair trade-off?
There is really no way to tub a vert and still keep the convertible top, unless you never want to stow it! I really wanted to add another 1.5" to my wheelwells on my current 65 resto-rod project, but it just can't be done. I am unwilling to have flares or bulged quarters, so I will just have to live with 245 tires. The 59 has the same size tires, and traction is a real issue with a stock LS1, so I know that it will be a problem with the warmed-over LS2 in the 65. Rich Lagasse had the good sense to start out with a coupe on his project, and had no problem moving the wheelwells in.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 01-02-2006, 10:32 AM
unreel1967
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vintagecorvette
Hey unreel1967,

oWEN
I believe someone who was stationed here by the military in the '70s or 80s brought this car with him and ended up selling it to a local guy.
Guam is beautiful vacation spot with tropical weather all year round and great diving. Wonderful people and beautiful women!!

Try these links:
www.peoplefromguam.com
www.islandstickeez.com
Old 01-02-2006, 07:42 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Happy new year to all!!
Do it.

Rich

Get notified of new replies

To "Pro-street" my '67 Vert?

Quick Reply: "Pro-street" my '67 Vert?