C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

OK-What holds the cigarette lighter in?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 10:39 PM
dfolse62
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default OK-What holds the cigarette lighter in?

It's bad when you get down to all the nit picking stuff! Have the lighter out of the car. If you hold it in it will get hot. It just won't stay in by itself. IS IT SUPPOSED TO STAY IN, GET HOT AND POP OUT, OR DO YOU JUST HOLD IT IN? Are the 3 brass prongs supposed to wrap around the ring on the end or what? Mine just touches this ring.

Last edited by dfolse62; 02-03-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:41 PM
EVERGREEN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dfolse62
It's bad when you get down to all the nit picking stuff! Have the lighter out of the car. If you hold it in it will get hot. It just won't stay in by itself. IS IT SUPPOSED TO STAY IN, GET HOT AND POP OUT, OR DO YOU JUST HOLD IT IN? Are the 3 brass prongs supposed to wrap around the ring on the end or what? Mine just touches this ring.
Not having mine close at hand I don't know what brass prongs you're talking about but I do know that when pushed in it stays in until cherry red and automatically pops part way out ready to light the camel! Heat up time will vary slightly but I would guess under 15 seconds.
EVERGREEN
Old 02-04-2006, 01:23 AM
glensgreen65
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember a long time ago a buddies cig lighter after warming up popped out far enough that it fell between the console and seat to the floor, yikes!
Old 02-04-2006, 07:17 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

It should stay in. You can adjust the female end of the lighter by slightly bending the prongs. Be careful when you do so...disconnect the battery or you might short things out.

By playing with the prongs, you'll get it to stay in, then "POP" when it's hot. Chuck
Old 02-04-2006, 09:20 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

ironically, I have the opposite problem. I can push mine in, it stays, gets hot, but than will not pop out itself.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BarryK
ironically, I have the opposite problem. I can push mine in, it stays, gets hot, but than will not pop out itself.
Loosen the prongs somewhat. Also, you have to be sure that you have the correct cig lighter element designed to be used in the socket that you have. Chuck
Old 02-04-2006, 10:02 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

thank Chuck, i'll take a look at it.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BarryK
thank Chuck, i'll take a look at it.
TURN THE BATTERY OFF. "Mess around" with it. It should pop out, but you can adjust it so it will literally pop out and go flying onto your vinyl seats or carpet. Chuck
Old 02-04-2006, 10:08 AM
dfolse62
Pro

I have it out so I can look at it. The lighter goes in till it just touches the three brass parts. These certainly don't hold it in. The lighter has been with the car the last 30 years that I know of. Is there something in the lighter itself, the spring loaded part, that should click in and lock and then heat up, relax and let the spring go. If so I will take it apart and see whats up.

I also still need someone to tell me the ohm value of the resistor on the heater fan switch!!
Old 02-04-2006, 10:11 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

chuck, except for a couple test drives since I got the motor back together the battery has been disconnected most of the winter

you know working on cars mechanically is new to me, but I spent years doing car audio so usually the VERY FIRST thing I touch on a car when working on it is the battery ground cable to disconnect it.
as I've said for years.......... i may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.

oh, and I'd prefer the lighter just popped out to it's normal position rather than flying across the car into my seats, chest, lap, whatever!
Old 02-04-2006, 10:35 AM
dfolse62
Pro

You sure don't want it popping out into your whatever!
Old 02-04-2006, 10:53 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

You sure don't want it popping out into your whatever!
hmmmmm, no, i don't think I do!
Old 02-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I have it out so I can look at it. The lighter goes in till it just touches the three brass parts. These certainly don't hold it in.
There is your problem. I think your original lighter was a Casco Model 63.

If you have the original Casco 63, you need a "female" to match, OR if you have another model Casco, like a 78, you need the female for that. Chuck
Old 02-04-2006, 12:07 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

If you have a recent replacement/restoration Casco lighter housing (made in the last five years or so), it has a U-shaped bi-metallic element under the nut on the feed connector stud that's designed to dead-short the lighter internally if it gets too hot (from having too much stuff plugged into it for power) so it doesn't melt plastic instrument panels in modern cars. That internal dead-short blows the lighter fuse. However, in Corvettes, pre-'67 cars don't have a fuse on that circuit, and if the lighter dead-shorts internally, it will fry the harness all the way to the battery, and can start a fire that will burn the car to the ground. If you have one of these newer lighter housings, either install an in-line fuseholder in the red feed wire or remove the U-shaped bi-metallic shorting element (see photo below).

Old 02-08-2006, 09:55 PM
vinnyv
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got hold of a new casco lighter ***'y (Lighter and socket) but I can't seem to remove the old socket. Cannot turn the back (behind the dash) without the front spinning. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Vinny
Old 02-09-2006, 04:46 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Take the lighter out, stick your thumb in the housing to hold it stationary, and unscrew the housing retainer on the back (after disconnecting the feed wire and light bulb socket, and disconnecting the battery ground cable).
Old 02-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Default Sounds like an in-line fuse is a good idea regardless

I for one will be installing an in-line fuse in my car, NCRS correct or not, I don't need a fire after all these years of work due to a lighter circuit.

Get notified of new replies

To OK-What holds the cigarette lighter in?

Quick Reply: OK-What holds the cigarette lighter in?