C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Getting it all under the hood!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 10:41 AM
540 BB
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting it all under the hood!

I’d like to install EFI in my 65 big block (square port Dart heads) but all the aftermarket stuff that I’ve looked at will not fit under the stock big block hood. I thought about modifying a Hilborn package (http://www.hilborninjection.com/prod...Id=56&CatId=37) to fit or possibly a custom Hogan intake, but there’s got to be a better way to get an EFI package under that stock BB hood. Any suggestions?

540 BB
Old 02-04-2006, 10:53 AM
rgs
Drifting

Look at a Holly EFI system. They make one for the BB rectangular port that will fit with an air cleaner. The Commander 950
Old 02-04-2006, 12:41 PM
GregP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt a Hilborn setup would fit under a stock hood. Mine is 9 1/2" tall from the block valley with special short stacks. Add a couple inches air space to feed them and your probably looking at needing 11 1/2" or so which I think is more that you'd get from a stock hood. I had my hood made so the scoop is 4 1/2" tall. I do have the motor mounted higher than stock small blocks though.

I had talked to Kinser about their cross-ram injection, and it was a couple inches taller than this setup due to the injector bodies being above the runners.

-Greg
Old 02-06-2006, 05:34 PM
540 BB
4th Gear

Default Still Looking For Answers

Checked out the 950 Commander and the 2000 cfm unit comes in at 9.8" (per Holley Tech support ). The 1000 cfm unit, although too small, is 9.5". With ~ 10" of total clearence, don't believe this is a solution.

Could go with Edelbrock manifold #2927 that's 0.93 inches shorter and their 1600 cfm throttle body that's 0.42" inches shorter for a combined savings of 1.35", but that's only 1.55" of clearance.

Also checked the Kinser cross ram early on thinking that would be the ticket but it's too tall as you pointed out.

Other ideas?
Old 02-06-2006, 06:20 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

If you can get a carb under your hood, you can probably get a EFI and throttle body IF you can find a nice single plane manifold that will allow the manifold and T-body to fit. (The T-body is usually an inch shorter than a Holley).

You simple have the manifold modified by getting some injector mounts welded in. Use any computer you want, as the injection part is all the same.

Arizona Speed and Marine can make a manifold conversion and rails for you. I used a Vixctor Jr manifold for my conversion, as even though a Ramjet or TPI factory system will fit under my hood, they don't flow well in the higher RPM ranges I wanted to use.

Doug
Old 02-06-2006, 07:35 PM
GregP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 BB
Also checked the Kinser cross ram early on thinking that would be the ticket but it's too tall as you pointed out.

Other ideas?
Other than a taller hood scoop ... I thought about taking a ramjet style and mouting the air body on the side ala early Corvette FI units. You might be able to get a custom sheet metal manifold setup with one or two side mounted throtle bodies. The normal ramjet style is too long and would hit the "front" of the scoop (at least on my scoop).

-Greg
Old 02-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Vette-66
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you looking at Hilborn you may be interested in this

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...07&forum_id=59

Chuck
Old 02-07-2006, 11:44 AM
rgs
Drifting

Originally Posted by 540 BB
Checked out the 950 Commander and the 2000 cfm unit comes in at 9.8" (per Holley Tech support ). The 1000 cfm unit, although too small, is 9.5". With ~ 10" of total clearence, don't believe this is a solution.

Could go with Edelbrock manifold #2927 that's 0.93 inches shorter and their 1600 cfm throttle body that's 0.42" inches shorter for a combined savings of 1.35", but that's only 1.55" of clearance.

Other ideas?
I just measured my stock 65 BB. I laid a straight edge across the carburetor at the air cleaner flange and measured from it to both the rear and front bottom of the intake at the intake/block mating surface. At the rear there was 9 3/8" and at the front 8". I also measured the dropdown of the aircleaner base at 2".
Your Edelbrock solution appears to be shorter than the stock setup if you use the drop down aircleaner base.
One other thing to check, looking at the Holley EFI system, it appears no taller than my stock setup (yes, appearances can be deceiving). Did they give you measurements to the intake/block mating surface or to the bottom of the intake which extends below this line?
Old 02-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

Have you considered a Kinsler cross-ram?

Get notified of new replies

To Getting it all under the hood!

Quick Reply: Getting it all under the hood!