C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Reseal Windshield & Rust Repair (need help please)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 10:13 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

67-427ci,

Thanks!

By the way, nice work. Sure will give you piece of mind for a long time. Car looks great!!

Jim
Old 02-21-2006, 05:41 PM
65 Hardnoks
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 67-427ci
I used 3M part no. 08509 Bedding & Glazing Compound to seal the gasket to the steel channel (refered to as a gun grade body sealer in the Chassis Service Manual) and 3M part no. 08633 Windo-Weld Resealant (refered to as a windshield cement in the Chassis Service Manual). The windo-weld resealant dries to a flexible rubbery seal and the bedding and glazing compound is a non-hardening, water resistant, medium bodied product that can be used for sealing body seams and between the windshield rubber gasket and the car body.

Both of these products work very well, but for a novice like myself I managed to make a pretty good mess. Good thing they clean up fairly easily using 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (part no. 08987).
Roy

The finished job.
When I put my windshield in, I was told by a PRO not to use any glazing compound on the metal frame except where the screw holes are for the clips.
I suppose it'll leak now.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:47 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 Hardnoks
When I put my windshield in, I was told by a PRO not to use any glazing compound on the metal frame except where the screw holes are for the clips.
I suppose it'll leak now.
I went through that last summer when I had a local "Professional" Windshield Installation company remove my glass and reseal it. They said the rubber gasket would seal it perfectly and no sealant was necessary. That was a mistake believing them. When I washed the car or got caught in the rain it leaked around the entire gasket. Sunday morning at Carlisle I had an inch of water in the floor. After I purchased the 1967 Chassis Service manual I learned what was necessary (page 18-6). We all live and learn.
Roy
Old 02-21-2006, 06:57 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,648 Likes on 1,977 Posts

Originally Posted by 67-427ci
I used 3M part no. 08509 Bedding & Glazing Compound to seal the gasket to the steel channel (refered to as a gun grade body sealer in the Chassis Service Manual) and 3M part no. 08633 Windo-Weld Resealant (refered to as a windshield cement in the Chassis Service Manual). The windo-weld resealant dries to a flexible rubbery seal and the bedding and glazing compound is a non-hardening, water resistant, medium bodied product that can be used for sealing body seams and between the windshield rubber gasket and the car body.

Both of these products work very well, but for a novice like myself I managed to make a pretty good mess. Good thing they clean up fairly easily using 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (part no. 08987).
Roy
Looks great - I'm impressed. I did a frame off of my coupe, doing nearly all the work of every kind myself - but somehow since the front and back glass had very minor problems I didn't have the nerve to pull them out, not wanting to leave reinstallation to someone else and not sure what I would get into doing it myself. After seeing this and looking for a future winter project, I may just have to go ahead and try my hand at putting some sparkling new glass in the old coupe. Again - nice job.

Quick Reply: Reseal Windshield & Rust Repair (need help please)