C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

61 Instrument cluster removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 05:08 PM
Driver 61
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 61 Instrument cluster removal?

I am replacing the dash wiring harness and have removed drv. seat & steering wheel. Looking under dash I am not sure where stud bolts go to allow the cluster to slide back. Also do the small gauges come out first? Prev posts say, 1/4 20 4 " bolt are used??
Appreciate any help.. Thanks
Rich
Old 02-14-2006, 05:24 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,487 Likes on 907 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

There is a semicircle of bolts at the rear of the cluster. maybe about six. It has been 3-4 years since I had mine out, so I don't recall the exact number.

The bolts are not 4" long, maybe an inch or so

Remove the entire cluster as a unit and then take the small gauge section loose if you are refinishing the cluster. Remove the fascia collar under the steering column also if you haven't already done so.

Doug
Old 02-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Black60
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Rich:
I just walked over to my cluster which now sits on my desk in the bedroom. Fresh red acrylic enamel, all 6 gauges rebuilt, new headlight and ignition switches and lighter. Only safe place I know while it awaits this weekend for install. Sure is beautiful. There are 5 each 1/4 X 20 bolts in a semi circle. When I reinstall I'm using stainless phillip head screws with a flat and lock washer.

As a side note, I have found Loc-Tite #271 to be indispensable during my restoration. It will hold hardware from loosening so you don't have to overtorque and deform things. Also allows for removal in the future.

With that out of the way perhaps it's a good time to pull, clean and lube your clutch and brake pedal shafts after bushing replacement.

If you take your seat frame out you can lie on your back with your feet resting on the conv top deck. (Just remember to wear your fluffy slippers.) Makes for a much less painful position for you while you inspect your wiper transmissions and defroster ducting.

Beware of mission creep. I started out to paint mine and before I knew it I was sandblasting a bare frame.

Best Regards,

Ralph

Get notified of new replies

To 61 Instrument cluster removal?

Quick Reply: 61 Instrument cluster removal?