C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Sway bar recommendations for a 67 SB?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 05:08 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Default Sway bar recommendations for a 67 SB?

I just added F41 springs to my 67 327 and like the result for handling and ride. Now I want to replace the wimpy front bar with a thicker one and add a rear bar. I want a street-driven car that is more competent in autocrosses.

I've had a 1-1/8 inch front bar and 9/16-inch rear bar recommended to me by a knowledgeable suspension guy. I see that the usual Vette parts vendors mostly sell 1-inch front bars and 5/8-inch rear bars. I'm trying for better autoX response but without any major sacrifice in street ride. I'm inclined toward the 1-1/8-inch front bar, but maybe it's a bear on the street/highway. Anyone have experience with any of these bar sizes on a SB midyear?

Old 03-07-2006, 05:50 PM
C2BOB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a normal weight small block car (iron heads, bumpers etc) and are running the same size tires front and rear I would suggest the F41 springs plus inch and 1/8 front and 7/16 rear. The 9/16 is more suitable for big block cars. This will make the car pretty neutral. To get the car to turn make sure the rear toe is set to allow the car to transition to trailing throttle (braking) oversteer thru the change in rear toe. Once you figure this out you'll be amazed at how well the C2 works. If you haven't done so change the camber bracket to the one from the C3 and decamber the whole car to about negative 1.5 degrees. And it's really helpful to put as much caster into the car as you can this allows you to release your grip and have the wheel selfcenter in a big hurry which really helps. The best thing about the C2 is the short wheelbase. If you can drive a C2 fast everything else is easy.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:55 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 284 Likes on 200 Posts

I would recommend the 1" front bar with the 9/16" rear bar because I run those on my car, and because I need at least that size rear bar to make my car turn in. Your results may vary However, I have tired several combinations, and use Hoosier Street TDs which stick very well. Autocross usually has tighter turns with more sudden transition, making for even MORE understeer, thus my recommendations.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:22 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I would recommend the 1" front bar with the 9/16" rear bar because I run those on my car, and because I need at least that size rear bar to make my car turn in. Your results may vary However, I have tired several combinations, and use Hoosier Street TDs which stick very well. Autocross usually has tighter turns with more sudden transition, making for even MORE understeer, thus my recommendations.
How much stiffer, more or less, will sway bars make the street ride, compared to the base suspension I run now? I know this is subjective, but the F41 springs are about stiff enough for me now, and I do not want to appreciably increase the spring rates by adding the bars. The guy giving me advice says the bars will make my car about "3%" stiffer. Any opinions?
Old 03-08-2006, 04:33 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

If you or anyone else is interested I have a factory GM 1-1/8 front and a like new GM 7/16 rear bar...e-mail direct!! redvetracr@msn.com
Old 03-08-2006, 04:47 PM
C2BOB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heavier swaybars wouldn't affect the "spring" stiffness much. I run F41 front springs, 1-1/4 front bar and a 360 lb rear spring (fiberglass). Car rides fine (in spite of the fact that it weighs about 2850) and stays dead flat in the corners.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:48 AM
LouieM
Race Director

Originally Posted by redvetracr
If you or anyone else is interested I have a factory GM 1-1/8 front and a like new GM 7/16 rear bar...e-mail direct!! redvetracr@msn.com
Sent you an email

Get notified of new replies

To Sway bar recommendations for a 67 SB?

Quick Reply: Sway bar recommendations for a 67 SB?