C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

roadster window glass adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 01:48 PM
brucep
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Default roadster window glass adjustment question

I took my drivers door apart to freshen things up. I replaced the rubber door wipe, the stainelss steel track and fuzz on the front vent window track, and the fuzz in the back track.

I did this to eliminate rattles, which it did. But now when I go to roll the window up after it has been down a while it is often out of the track up front by the vent window. To get the window up, I have to roll it up a few inches, grab the glass and push it toward the front of the car to get it back into the front track.

I tried adjusting the back track left and right, but this diedn't improve things. Is there some other adjustment option I'm missing?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2006, 03:43 PM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fore and aft movement in the window is caused by two things. Either the glass is set in the horizontal track too far back or the rear track liner is worn out. The horizontal track rides in the rear channel and the front of the glass rides tight against the front channel. Two ways to fix it. Either take the glass out of the channel and reset it so it rests tight against the front channel with the vertical stainless against the rear channel or remove the screw from the top of the rear vertical channel and slip washers between the channel and the fiberglass inside the door effectively taking up the play between the front and rear channel.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:51 PM
JSB69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken is correct. Roll the glass up, wedge something to keep the channel that the glass is set in from moving forward and take a rubber mallet and whack the rear edge of the glass so it moves forward within the horizontal channel.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:31 PM
brucep
Burning Brakes

Thanks to both of you. I have a much better idea of what is going on and how to fix it now.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:04 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

Did you remove your vent window assembly and perhaps reinstall it further forward than it had been?
Old 03-08-2006, 07:23 PM
brucep
Burning Brakes

Yes I did remove it, and may have installed it further forward. another thing to look at.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:04 PM
brucep
Burning Brakes

A couple light taps to the back edge of the glass did the trick.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:04 PM
brucep
Burning Brakes

A couple light taps to the back edge of the glass did the trick. I wish everything was this simple.

Get notified of new replies

To roadster window glass adjustment question

Quick Reply: roadster window glass adjustment question