C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

"New" color on 67 coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 04:58 PM
TropicR
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "New" color on 67 coupe?

I have a 67 coupe 327/350, original drive train, no modifications. Recently completed suspension and drive train restoration. Original green/tan color combo. Previous owner painted it rally red about 10 years ago, but the workmanship was not very good. Body is in very good condition, interior will be restored (black) later. I plan to have car painted this winter. Was going to stay with the rally red, but the new "torch red" and "magnetic red" are sure pretty on the C-5's. Am I making a big mistake or significantly decreasing the value if I choose one of the new colors?
Old 08-15-2001, 05:21 PM
Top_Notch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: "New" color on 67 coupe? (TropicR)

Obviously your color choice should depend on what your plans are for the car. I personally don't see anything wrong with painting it red since the original color is long gone. IMHO, I would paint it the original green, but if that doesn't satisfy your tastes I would keep with a 'standard' color. My project '66 is bronze :U but if I ever get to worrying about cosmetics instead of mechanicals, it will be it's original color silver pearl.
Old 08-15-2001, 05:27 PM
Stingrr
Advanced

This topic was discussed a couple weeks ago. Basically, you'd take a hit of twice the cost of what it takes to paint the car - the cost of painting it a non-original color, plus the cost of repainting it back to the original color. This is more relevant on the big-block, high-dollar cars, though, and a lot of potential buyers won't care that the car is a non-original color, especially if it's "resale red" ;)
Old 08-15-2001, 07:30 PM
58Mike
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love that Torch Red. I was going to use it on my '58, but it started seeming a little too orange, so I went with Bright Red (aka Flame Red) instead. I don't know Magnetic Red, but if I were you, I'd go with any of the reds, even Rally Red. I also like the Forest Green metallic, but I'd still go red.

As for resale value, what difference does it make? If you bought this car as an investment, then you need a better financial planner. If you bought it because you saw this Red '67 :cool: ,and liked the idea of people seeing you drive it, then there's your answer right there. And let's suppose you sell the car in ten years. I wouldn't expect the same resale climate we have today. Just in the last few months, I can't remember all the times I've heard someone say they want to sell their Top-Flight car so they can get a Corvette they can drive! What a bizarre hobby!

My guess is that the accepted rule of thumb that "the deduction in the value of a car for a deviation from factory is equal to the cost of bringing it back to factory" is already out of date. At a local car show (Pomona), the biggest crowd in the Corvette area was around an otherwise stock '57 with 17" wheels painted Candy Maroon. The guy was asking $75,000 for it, although I have no idea what he actually got. Same show there will be perfect '55-'57 Chevy Belairs selling in the low $20s, but hot-rodded ones selling for way more. To me this is writing on the wall!

Jess my $0.02

- Mike
Old 08-15-2001, 08:02 PM
joevette57
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My 65 coupe was red when I bought it. It was originally yellow. Since I have loved the new Nassau Blue that was reborn in 2000, I decidd that was the color this car was going to be. Since it's been done, I love it..... no regrets.
Old 08-15-2001, 09:38 PM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I making a big mistake or significantly decreasing the value if I choose one of the new colors?

--------------------------------------------
No more than Rally Red.
Well, maybe. as most folks like Rally Red Corvette's.
Thats why there are so many of them. :rolleyes:
As much as I dislike Green. I would paint it 983AA Green.
It was a 67 only color. (I think)
But in the end its your car, do as you see fit.
If you can't make yourself happy who can you please?
Its funny, I had a 65 coupe that was orig. Rally Red
and didnt care for it all that much. Driving a mid yr.
causes enough attn. as it is, but a Red one is almost
over the edge for me.
If you take your time it will come to you.
Take care!
Old 08-16-2001, 01:59 AM
Ragin Bull
Melting Slicks

Default Re: "New" color on 67 coupe? (Top_Notch)

Obviously your color choice should depend on what your plans are for the car. I personally don't see anything wrong with painting it red since the original color is long gone.
My words exactly.
I'm in a slightly different boat. My 64 vert is white. Orig is white. But I hate white. I'm thinking nassau blue myself. Since I'm keeping the car, I'm probably going to do it... Lil food for thought..:D
Old 08-16-2001, 08:12 AM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

Default Re: "New" color on 67 coupe? (Ragin Bull)

I'm going with magnetic red on my '64. It's actually red pearl metallic. Paint code is 379E. It's a Tricoat paint, which is applied similar to a "candy" paint job. Way :cool: color IMO. My car was originally white, then, yellow, then blue, then last but not least some cranberry juice brown metallic :U . Do what you want with your car. You have the title, you pay the bills. You only live once and our time is short so enjoy it while you got it!! :D
Old 08-16-2001, 08:15 AM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

Default Re: "New" color on 67 coupe? (GreaseMonkey)

WOW! This thing cleaned up my previous post. I put in an asteriked version of a four letter word for a fecal secretion brown and it changed it to cranberry juice brown. :crazy:
Old 08-16-2001, 09:36 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

If it were my car, I would go all origional, but, it is not. If you were to sell it, let the next owner worry about the origional color. I doesen't seem as though you were worried about the origional color when you bought the car. I don't like green either. Paint it for your enjoyment.
Old 08-16-2001, 10:10 AM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: "New" color on 67 coupe? (Tom/99)

I personally don't see anything wrong with painting it red since the original color is long gone. (Its not gone)

But I guess you have to ask yourself, would you have bought it if it were its
orig. Green?

I guess that's why there are so many Red Vette's.
But I would suggest a 67 Vette color.
I should try and scan some photos from mags I have from the late 60's
to early 80's. Many would not believe it. (I have Box's of em')
One favorite issue, Dec. 1977 Popular Hot Rodding "Corvette issue"
Its unreal, lots of wild paint, rect. fixed head lights, huge flair's, velvet int, huge scoops, wide-body kits, you name it.Older Vette's have already been down the modification road. I think those days will never be seen again. Unlike the shoe box. And as far as investments go, My Vette has smoked my stock port over the past couple of years. Wish I would have loaded up on mid yrs instead of stock... :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry
Old 08-17-2001, 12:54 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...as others have said....enjoy your car and paint it whatever you like, imho, 'way too many red and nassau blue cars (see my site :rolleyes: )....go with what you want and drive the **** out of it :p:
Old 08-20-2001, 10:23 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: "New" color on 67 coupe? (Kid_Again)

GO with what makes you happy & drive & enjoy your Vette , dont let the NCRS types get you down with the correctness crap....JUST MY 2 CENTS
Old 08-20-2001, 08:22 PM
Lynndale
Melting Slicks

Default Re: "New" color on 67 coupe? (StrayDog)

977A is a lovely color! :yesnod: AND, it is a '67 only' color.

Hey, it is your car for now. Do what makes ya happy. :D
Old 08-20-2001, 08:47 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: "New" color on 67 coupe? (Lynndale)

TropicR. I've had my '67 since new, and I've decided to ignore the ****-retentive approach to Corvetteing. I do what pleases me with my '67. I'm not in this hobby for the money....it's for the enjoyment. Since the title will still be in my name when I'm '**** up', let my estate worry about whether it's numbers-matching or the correct colour.

1967 Corvettes by colour code and number sold:
900 Tuxedo Black 815
972 Ermine White 1,423
974 Rally Red 2,341
976 Marina Blue 3,840
977 Lynndale Blue 1,381
980 Elkhart Blue 1,096
983 Goodwood Green 4,293
984 Sunfire Yellow 2,325
986 Silver Pearl 1,952
988 Marlboro Maroon 3,464

Get notified of new replies