C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Solid axle front suspension rebuild, additional parts recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 05:29 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

This is true, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, the replacement shafts are SUPPOSED to be this hard to get in. The reason is so that there is no possibility of the shaft turning in the spring tower. Only the bushing is supposed to turn on the shaft.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:34 AM
wesmigletz
12.14 w/ the original 327

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
CI 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Tom, thanks again for all the suggestions. I have an ST-12, but II think I lost it when I moved into the new house. I still have all my shop manuals and chassis service guides, but no idea what happened to the ST-12. I may need to order another one.

I removed the springs by putting a jack with a 2X4 under the lower control arm, just below the outer bushing. Then I used an impact to remove the lower outer cross shaft bolt. When the bolt cleared, I slowly lowered the jack. I'll have to check the upper shafts this weekend, but I'll probably just replace them to be safe.

Today, I removed the front crossmember, the leaf springs and mounts, and sanded and painted the rear frame rails and tire wells. I still need to dissassemble the king pins and the pitman arm from the idler arm, and remove the rear shocks from the car body. I hope to re-install the rear end and detail the engine compartment next weekend.

If I can find a reaonably priced powder coater that can finish the parts by Friday, I'm going to get the fan shrouds, control arms, cross member, engine mounts and rear housing powder painted, probably gloss black. Otherwise, I will hit them with a wire wheel and spray bomb them. By the way, I couldn't remove the drain plug from the rear housing. Am I likely to strip the threads if I force it out?
Old 04-07-2006, 02:14 AM
wesmigletz
12.14 w/ the original 327

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
CI 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Tom, I sent you an email to the address provided. Wes
Old 04-07-2006, 12:49 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

One safety feature of the allthread method of removing/installing springs is that the allthread acts as a spring capture device should something go wrong. I wouldn't want to get bonked in the face by a rogue coil spring.

Doug

Quick Reply: Solid axle front suspension rebuild, additional parts recommendations