C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Would like some input

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 08:38 PM
68435roadster

Default Would like some input

Deleted.

Last edited by geopar; 04-06-2006 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:14 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Unless I missed the doc in the long post - what you describe is a 65 coupe with a nonmatch BB engine that may or may not have been a BB car. The body and paint will cost $5k-$10k to make like new but it looks good to 10feet. If it runs good and the brakes are okay - IMO it's a $28k-$38k car, depending on whether it has paper to prove it was an original BB. The engines are out there if you want a show car (not driven), but conversely, the frame rail will need to be fixed if you intend to put miles on it (and to heck with the correct engine), and frame stuff is expen$ive.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:43 PM
68435roadster

magicv8, thank you for your reply. I realize my post is quite long, but how do I describe this car and this situation without a longish post?
Please, I implore all future responders, do not post your $ thoughts! ( please use P.M. or e mail for these suggestions). I am trying to keep this very low key, as we all know how the "info network" reaches far and wide. I will delete this post (if I can), if I see another dollar figure response. I was/am hoping that all who read/respond to this post will respect both the seller and myself by obliging this request. Thank you again, G.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:55 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

I hate to say it but money is the root of the problem, you either want all, or some of yours back, if you paid more than you thought it was worth ask for it back, if originaly you thought you got the deal of the century and now found out you didn't I don't think its the sellers fault.

My two cents for whats it worth.

Tom M
Old 04-04-2006, 12:25 AM
Jack60
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Maybe you should have looked at the car better or had it looked at, before you bought it.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:34 AM
68435roadster

Originally Posted by Tom McCabe
I hate to say it but money is the root of the problem, you either want all, or some of yours back, if you paid more than you thought it was worth ask for it back, if originaly you thought you got the deal of the century and now found out you didn't I don't think its the sellers fault.

My two cents for whats it worth.

Tom M
Tom, Thank you for your reply. Yes, money/value is the issue, and I am trying to get informed opinions to this end. I paid about the going rate for a refurbished, non original block, '65 396 cp.; not a steal, and not "Barrett Jackson" money.
Car appears to be originally a small block a/c equipped, (sans the a/c components), running a '66 396 engine, and has some paint/fit issues, and some rust issues (minor, as described above).
If you would, shoot me a number range via PM that matches this description. Thanks, g.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:02 AM
68435roadster

Originally Posted by Jack60
Maybe you should have looked at the car better or had it looked at, before you bought it.
Jack60,
Hindsight is 20/20, and in this instance I completely agree with your "what I should have done" reply. I have been "burned" before, but rarely. I have had many smooth "sight unseen" transactions with many fellow Vette people over the years. Call me Old School, but I believe that a few pertinent questions, a feel for who you are dealing with, and a bit of trust in our fellow man works out 99% or the time. This seller is demonstrating this credo, and I am just trying to do some homework by gathering opinions from one of the most informed collection of Vette people (this Forum), before I continue negotiations. Bty, I am not "snubbing" the N.C.R.S. Forum, but it has been my observation that this type of topic does not generally receive many replies on that venue.
Thanks again to those who have PMed and written their thoughts. G.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:40 PM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Return the car for a refund:

Eat the shipping costs and write the loss off as the cost of learning.

Turn you attention to finding a better car.

In the long run you will be much happier.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:46 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

so, you say you like the car and you want to know what you got screwed for because it is a vendor and you don't want to make it public - then why did you post on a public forum - like Magic stated you want us to give yo a price then we will - if you don't want to know in public then don't ask in public - that being said car is worth about $30000
Old 04-05-2006, 09:50 PM
tdelph
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am confused. You bought a car that is over 40 years old. You should have done your homework before this point. I think the seller must be a stand up guy to even offer you a possible discount or refund. I dont want to sound like an A_ _ Hole but give the guy a break and meet him in the middle. I am not sure what you paid for the car or even what your intentions are so it makes it more difficult to elaborate on your situation.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:38 AM
68435roadster

Originally Posted by crw41
Return the car for a refund:

Eat the shipping costs and write the loss off as the cost of learning.

Turn you attention to finding a better car.

In the long run you will be much happier.
crw41, thanks for your input. G.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:49 AM
68435roadster

Originally Posted by mdz06vetter
so, you say you like the car and you want to know what you got screwed for because it is a vendor and you don't want to make it public - then why did you post on a public forum - like Magic stated you want us to give yo a price then we will - if you don't want to know in public then don't ask in public - that being said car is worth about $30000
As with most stories, there is much more than I have revealed about this transaction. I attempted to present the overall details, asked for informed responces, and asked that these responces be made via PM or e message. Is that too much to ask?
Old 04-06-2006, 08:01 AM
68435roadster

Originally Posted by tdelph
I am confused. You bought a car that is over 40 years old. You should have done your homework before this point. I think the seller must be a stand up guy to even offer you a possible discount or refund. I dont want to sound like an A_ _ Hole but give the guy a break and meet him in the middle. I am not sure what you paid for the car or even what your intentions are so it makes it more difficult to elaborate on your situation.
tdelph, I trusted what I was told by th sales representive; my bad? The person offering to rectify this is another principal with the company. You do not sound like an A--Hole; your responce is reasonable. I never indicated that I was unwilling to "meet him in the middle". I wanted informed input, and I wanted to keep $ comments somewhat on the Q.T.. You have honored that request---some responders have not. I would be happy to give you more information via PM or e mail. Thank you, G.

Get notified of new replies

To Would like some input

Quick Reply: Would like some input