C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

side pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2001, 12:42 AM
jeff batchelor
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default side pipes

I have the engine out of my 66 for a rebuild. The engine is a 454. I want to add side pipes. What manifolds will work with them. Is there a header that will work without cutting up the side pipe? I will use eather one. I dont want to spend aiot of money on the correct manifolds because I dont have the org engine any way. Also has anyone used the repo fiberglass covers?
Jeff
Old 08-18-2001, 01:05 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: side pipes (jeff batchelor)

Headman makes a header to bolt up to sidepipes on midyears. I have these, regular headers need a S turn which creates severe back pressure, had this once. To match up to stock side pipes you must use corvette big block exhaust header. Sorry I can't give you number of headman, been a while since I bought mine. Good luck. :D :D :cool: :yesnod:
Old 08-18-2001, 02:51 AM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=62607

:bs
Old 08-18-2001, 03:03 AM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Default Re: side pipes (396 RAT)

1st time using the little guy with the flag, seems kinda harsh.
My mistake. Dont think I will be using him again. :(
Old 08-18-2001, 08:54 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

I removed a set of big tube header welded nicely into original side exhaust mufflers from my car 1966 B/B.They fit perfect.I will post a picture of them to this post.These header are from 1990 and I was told are no longer available I will see what the name on them are.I also know that the only way we could remove them was to have the motor out of the car.When you put your new ones in make sure that they will fit with the motor in.When the header were in my car I could not get my starter out with out disconecting the header.other then that and a shim for the power steering and alternator mount they were perfect.I was told it was impossible but I also feft my car was quieter and ran cooler with the headers on.A higher **** pit tempiture but a lower operating tempiture
Old 08-19-2001, 06:27 PM
Mike Smith
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

jeff -

Hedman (http://www.hedman.com/index.html) makes a header for a big block midyear with side pipes. The model number is 68210, and Hedman recommends iron heads with these headers.

I haven't seen fiberglass covers for midyears - for '69s, but not midyears. The '69 covers leave a lot to be desired.

Are you going to Carlisle this weekend? You should be able to pick up a decent set of original covers there - I'm taking a set myself.
Old 08-19-2001, 11:38 PM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Is there a header that will work without cutting up the side pipe?
----------------------------------------------------------------
No.

:cheers:
Old 08-20-2001, 12:44 AM
olredalert
Racer

Jeff,

You really have a beautiful car there.Elegant muscle at its best.At least consider not cutting it up to put sidepipes on.I have a 66 with sidepipes(delivered)and really wish it didnt have them.Anymore they are like belly-buttons.Try a set of underneath off-road exausts out the back and I think you would really like them.As a plus they are by any ones estimate at least 20 to 40 horsepower stronger.Sidepipes sound great but are restrictive.Dont believe me,check the archives!.........Bill S
Old 08-20-2001, 01:11 AM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Default Re: side pipes (olredalert)

At least consider not cutting it up to put sidepipes on.

What gets cut up?
Just curious?
Thanks!
Old 08-20-2001, 01:15 AM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Bill does have a point though,
many do not like 'em on coupe's.
More than one Big Block owner with side pipes carries ear plugs for extended trips. :eek:
Old 08-20-2001, 08:50 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, as usual, i a have a different pont of view :yesnod: ...........

...go ahead and cut up that coupe...if you're really careful, you make just 2 straight cuts on the tabs at the trailing edge of the front wheel wells and just set them aside...reapply them later if you change your mind...btw, that's wrong with bellybuttons...there are some pretty neat ones out there :cheers:

heck, after driving the coupe (which came with pipes), i had to add pipes to the roadster..it just didn't sound right..'though i freely admit that pipes on a coupe are louder inside than a roadster...i wouldn't cut those side pipes to fit headers, frankly, because the acquisition cost for the pipes is out of sight and ONE mistake and :mad .......you may want to give the undercarriage chambered exhaust a try

...good luck and be :cool:

[Modified by Kid_Again, 6:52 AM 8/20/2001]
Old 08-20-2001, 10:00 AM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Default Re: side pipes (Kid_Again)

As I understand it, you do not have side pipes for your car.
Just last week I bought a new set of pipes from GM. For a BB midyear #3872969 left, and #3872970 right paid $183.00 per side.
Wanted the stock set up for orig manifolds-to install down the road.
I am running 2 " headers and glass packs (with good results) As I didn't want to cut up a new set of GM pipes, and was in a hurry at the time.
I have 4 exhaust set ups for my car, and if you do not cut the front tab
when you install side exhaust, it really is a bolt on affair with no permanent damage.
Your least expensive route is side exhaust headers, and a used set of pipes
covers. I really like this set up on my vert, but would go the under car off-road set up on a BB coupe.
My final 2 cents. :lol:
Old 08-20-2001, 12:11 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

I have GM sidepipes on my 66 327 Roadster. They were installed without cutting the fiberglass and without cutting off the tabs for the rocker molding. The metal side molding tabs are still intact, but are bent up out of the way. Both of these modifications are necessary for an "easy" fit, but neither are necessary to mount the sidepipes. The fiberglass can be repaired if cut, but I believe the metal molding tabs can only be re-welded by taking the body off the frame. Anyways.. you don't have to make either mod to get the pipes to mount. It just takes a little more than average patience with the mounting hardware. Sidepipes make the underside of the car a lot easier to work on as well. I wouldn't have it any other way.... in my opinion (just a personal preference).. a mid-year looks naked without sidepipes. I wouldn't have it any other way. If I purchased another midyear without sidepipes, I would have to add them. Next topic- I purchased the Mid America chambered for my 70 454 and I had fitment and sealing problems. The rearmost pipe was a SOB to get hooked up & lined up using the Stainless exhaust tips which I already had and was unwilling to give up. Mid America has their own tips to sell, but mine are a work of art from a guy who really knew his stuff in Stainless... none of those cheesy factory style spot welds... all welded seams. After getting the chambered pipes installed, they leaked at the joint in front of the crossmember... it needed to be double clamped but there is only room for one clamp because the joint ends up partially inside the crossmember. None of these problems were fatal.. this system can be made to work. However- these pipes do not sound exactly the same as sidepipes, they're just a tad bit louder than factory pipes with all the packing still intact (rare), and they also do the "snap-crackle-pop" routine. With a crossover (H) pipe, they would sound perfect. But "as is", out of the box, they are annoying. I took them off, but may re-install them when I have saved up enough "play" money for a new wire welder, or, I will install sidepipes instead which is my preference anyways. Sidepipes give the car that "Nasty" kick-butt look which I am partial to. One final note... some of the welds on the aluminized Mid America chambered were done AFTER the pipes were aluminized... which means they were already rusted when they arrived at my shop.

[Modified by Tom454, 10:16 AM 8/20/2001]
Old 08-20-2001, 08:30 PM
jeff batchelor
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

RAT,
What side exuast headers will fit a midyear and work with the org covers?
thanks Jeff
Old 08-20-2001, 10:23 PM
olredalert
Racer

Cuts to be made are all based around doing the sidepipe switch correctly.the front tab must be taken off.Obviously,it can be replaced.There is a rear cut that also needs doing to be correct.Then there are the infamous tabs.Once cut they are a real bear to get back on.Yes,they can be bent back.I guess my comments were made from the standpoint of just looking at Jeffs picture.Any one of us who looks at that picture and thinks he still needs sidepipes is way too hung up on them.I have a sidepipe car,and even I know that not every mid-year Corvette needs them!.............Bill S
Old 08-21-2001, 12:20 AM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

RAT,
What side exuast headers will fit a midyear and work with the org covers?

I believe any side exhaust header? The one's I have seen, including the one's on my car exit straight out the side of the car. About 12" in (from the door
molding) and 8" behind the front tire. Off of the 3" collector you have a foot
for the 90 degree bend, so it has little to do with the covers.
(Its up to the muffer shop to line up the pipes under the covers)
I would guess Headman would be the best value, while Hooker would be at the other end of the price range.
Talk to folks with sidepipes on BB coupes. I know a couple that use ear plugs
for anything over 20 minute ride.
And don't worry about the radio, or having a quiet conversation on the fwy.
:D (Which may or may not be a bad thing?)
Old 08-21-2001, 11:03 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

olreadalert is absolutely correct... I was wrong about the fiberglass. My bad. I just looked at my 66 again and the front tab will interfere with the cover... the front tab has been removed. The rear tab has not been cut off though... it is 100% intact. However... as shown in the assembly manual (N14, A4) a radius is also necessary to clear the pipe. My car also has a very crude (hacked) radius as shown in the assembly manual. Thanks for the heads up olredalert.

Tom
Old 08-21-2001, 11:44 AM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<<<Talk to folks with sidepipes on BB coupes. I know a couple that use ear plugs for anything over 20 minute ride.
And don't worry about the radio, or having a quiet conversation on the fwy.
(Which may or may not be a bad thing?)>>>

Amen to that 396RAT. My 435 Coupe is hot inside (A/C was not available as an option), noisy (real lopey cam with headers and side pipes) rough ride (suspension done for slalom). But, I wouldn't have it any other way. Who needs a CD player - couldn't hear it anyway!!!!

To many old-timer back-yard mechanics like me (bought it new) Corvettes were all about these things. That's before the stock-brokers captured the market. C5s are great cars, but I'll never part with my ground-pounder!!!
Old 08-23-2001, 05:08 PM
tuxedo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: side pipes (67HEAVEN)

For those owners that like the look of sidepipes but wish they were a little or a lot quieter. Give Stainless works a call at 1-800-878-3635. They can make them for you with lower decibel ratings than the factory pipes in both aluminum ( i think around $420 bucks for a set), or stainless. The web site is http://www.stainlessworks.net :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To side pipes

Quick Reply: side pipes