C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Who restores chrome trim?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 01:53 AM
AmericanPie
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Who restores chrome trim?

All this NOS stuff is getting expensive, and I'm wondering who can restore some of my chrome trim pieces that have a few dings and dimples. I've been told that unless your trim is a completely mangled disaster, there are places around that can take out the imperfections, rechrome, etc. as necessary to make it look like new. Anybody know of such a place with a good rep?
Old 04-16-2006, 02:01 AM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

You should be specific on which trim you are talking about. In many cases, reproduction trim such tail lights and emblems, pot metal items are cheaper and better quality than rechromed originals, but there are exceptions.

Other items such as stainless and bumpers, originals are better to have fixed and or rechromed.

oWEN
Old 04-16-2006, 02:40 AM
AmericanPie
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vintagecorvette
You should be specific on which trim you are talking about. In many cases, reproduction trim such tail lights and emblems, pot metal items are cheaper and better quality than rechromed originals, but there are exceptions.

Other items such as stainless and bumpers, originals are better to have fixed and or rechromed.

oWEN

My question is general as it pertains to the hobby, however I'm currently restoring my '65 Impala SS so I'm thinking mainly of that car at present. The pieces I need redone (or replaced) are things like the stamped/chromed pieces that wrap around the rear corners of the body, below the rear bumper. These are partially chromed with areas of matte black paint between chromed ribs. One of my emblems has a raised "Impala SS" badge in textured chrome set against a black background. I already got (4) NOS wheel well mouldings off Ebay but probably could have saved mucho $$ by having my originals restored, if I had known who does that kind of work. Ditto with some of the other trim. Somebody out there has to be specializing in this kind of work.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:12 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what about polishing ???
Old 04-16-2006, 10:54 AM
RDaddi
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chrome

Atlas Plating on Del Norte in Oxnard next to John Deer.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:20 AM
SolidAxle
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AmericanPie
My question is general as it pertains to the hobby, however I'm currently restoring my '65 Impala SS so I'm thinking mainly of that car at present. The pieces I need redone (or replaced) are things like the stamped/chromed pieces that wrap around the rear corners of the body, below the rear bumper. These are partially chromed with areas of matte black paint between chromed ribs. One of my emblems has a raised "Impala SS" badge in textured chrome set against a black background. I already got (4) NOS wheel well mouldings off Ebay but probably could have saved mucho $$ by having my originals restored, if I had known who does that kind of work. Ditto with some of the other trim. Somebody out there has to be specializing in this kind of work.
I also have a '65 Impala SS. The rear pieces that you are referring to are not chromed. They are aluminum that is anodized. The black insert is painted. I also believe that the wheel opening mouldings are stainless not chrome, so you can repair and polish thopse cost effectively. If you contact me by email I can advise on getting any stainless redone.

Get notified of new replies

To Who restores chrome trim?

Quick Reply: Who restores chrome trim?