C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rev counter ? What good is it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 11:52 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rev counter ? What good is it?

My 58 has a rev counter. Was this supposed to be like an hour meter for a boat engine? It would seem to be a worthless tool. You still would not know how the engine has been treated and it is not an hour meter so I still don't understand why they thought they needed it?
Old 08-22-2001, 12:33 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Default Re: Rev counter ? What good is it? (INMYBLOOD)

The innards were probably existing, from some other old AC speedometer/odometer, and they made a new face & needle for it and called it a tachometer - new tach for the low-volume Corvette for little tooling expense. People ask me about that all the time at shows - I just smile and tell them someone at GM thought it was important to keep track of how many gazillion revolutions the engine had made since it was new :bs
Old 08-22-2001, 01:36 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Rev counter ? What good is it? (JohnZ)

A gazillion revolutions :lol: :lol: :lol: That is what I thought. So you think it was a money saving afterthought :confused:
Old 08-23-2001, 08:40 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Default Re: Rev counter ? What good is it? (INMYBLOOD)

If you do not like and do not want the tach with the rev counter, I'll be very happy to provide you with my address so that you can box it up and send it to me. I will pay the shipping, and I will buy you a brand new monster tach that you can bolt to the top of your dash, if you wish. I also have an old, plain Stewart-Warner mechanical tach which will replace the one you have if you would prefer to have it.

Get notified of new replies

To Rev counter ? What good is it?

Quick Reply: Rev counter ? What good is it?