C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Knock Off Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 08:37 AM
mjjansson
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock Off Wheels

I have a 65 with reproduction knock off rims. The right front disc is leaking fluid at a very slow pace, so needs to be fixed. My problem is that I can not spin the knock off. I have used the lead hammer, put heat (not flame on it), sprayed it with a silicone spray, hit it with a bigger hammer and nothing is moving it. When I sprayed it, I saw rusty colored overspray dripping down.

Any additional ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:50 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

2 thoughts come to mind

1) I understand knock-off wheels have an anti-theft pin that goes through the spinner into the hub. Did you remove that?

2) Just checking the obvious - you are trying to loosen the spinner towards the front of the car, right?

My 65 with original knock-offs had a stuck wheel when it was in the hands of the previous owner, a friend of mine. We ended up agreeing to sacrifice the spinner if necessary so while I held plywood against the fender to protect it from an errant hammer blow, my friend just beat the crap out of the spinner with both hands on the hammer - eventually the spinner budged and actually didn't show any more damage to the chrome than it already had.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:13 AM
Lee H
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for anti thieft pin as Jeff suggested. If you are using the stock style lead hammer you will never get the spinner to move. Best bet is to get a 6 pounder. Don't be afraid to hit it hard, it will come off. Recommend you get several hammers, you will likely destroy one getting the stuck spinner off.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:32 AM
NedP1
Racer

A couple of years ago I discovered a far superior rust penetrant than anything I had tried before.

Aero Kroil from Kano Laboratories. Likely available at an industrial supply outlet. The can says order direct at 615 833-4101. Kano may have a website, but it's not listed on this can.

I had an old Craftsman radial arm saw that I decided to rebuild as it was better than several new $500 I looked at. I couldn't budge the rained on column inner and outer sleeve until I used Aero Kroil. I soaked it for a couple of days. Since then I use it anytime something is stuck from rust.

I agee with Lee. After a couple of uses the hammer I got with my repo kit was about done in. I use a much heavier lead hammer left when I was a mechanic in an industrial plant which works great.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:21 AM
mjjansson
6th Gear

Default Anti Theft Pin

Thanks for the replies. You guys are obviously much more knowledgeable that I. I look all around the spinner and can not see where the anti theft pin goes. Do I have to pull the center cap on the spinner? It's not abvious from the outside.

Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Lee H
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Pull the center cap. You will see several indexed holes, no doubt there is a pin in one of them. You may have to tighen the spinner up to get it out. Let us know what happens. Lee
Old 05-24-2006, 10:32 AM
silver67
Pro

Yes, pry off the cap to see the pins and refer to jeff's reply regarding the direction. Not all wheels came with pins though. Paragon sells a nice beefy lead hammer.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:53 AM
NedP1
Racer

Jeeze, I don't remember my set having a lock pin. Wish they did.

The spinner does have a direction arrow for tightening.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2006, 12:42 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by silver67
Yes, pry off the cap to see the pins and refer to jeff's reply regarding the direction. Not all wheels came with pins though. Paragon sells a nice beefy lead hammer.

I'd like to re-emphasize the direction to tighten/take-off. There is an arrow on the spinner to show loosen/tighten. Not all wheels are installed per the instructions. Mine are on backwards but you still follow the arrow on the spinner.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:11 PM
UVETTECHA
Advanced

Best looking wheel for an old midyear.....but im a little biased--hi
( not my car tho )......dont give up you will get it.......Bill
Old 05-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Vern66
Intermediate

I had the same problem with my '66. I had just bought it a few weeks ago and came to this forum for help in getting my wheels off. I'll confess I was confused on the direction of spin to remove AND best advice I got was to get a 6 pound ****** Thumpar Hammer from Cobra Valley. http://performanceunlimited.com/cobr...ls/hammer.html. That did the trick for me. I can see that if I remove these wheels too often, I'm going to have to buy another ****** Thumper as they get chewed up.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:59 PM
alps66
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lee H
Best bet is to get a 6 pounder. Don't be afraid to hit it hard, it will come off. Recommend you get several hammers, you will likely destroy one getting the stuck spinner off.
I bought my six pounder from American Striking Tools (815-633-2122). Great folks to deal with. After you beat the hammer to a pulp, you can send them the handle and what's left of the lead and they'll recast it for a nominal fee (around $14, as I recall). In the meantime, go to the gym, bulk up and pound away!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:18 PM
65vettish
Instructor

After beating the snot out of my KOs, working up a profuse sweat and a case of mild angina, I finally got my wheels off my '65. I then promptly placed an order with VA Vettes for a set of direct bolt on KOs which also gave me an excuse to purchase a set of Diamondback Goldlines I had my on. They both look great and are a lot less hassle than the Knock Offs.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:35 PM
tuxedo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After you destroy lead hammers, orginal KO' spinners, and worry about hitting fiberglass, you will buy the direct bolt KO's. They look great, are safer and are the only way to go. Virg. vettes has the best px's and Dick Baron is a good guy.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:28 PM
63C2splitter
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

They are a real pain - need to get a good dead blow hammer and forget about the lead hammer. All of my spinners are scarred from repeated removal over the years. p.s. When you put them back on, use "anti-seize" on the threads (and replace the retainer pin).

Last edited by 63C2splitter; 05-25-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:05 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxedo
After you destroy lead hammers, orginal KO' spinners, and worry about hitting fiberglass, you will buy the direct bolt KO's. They look great, are safer and are the only way to go. Virg. vettes has the best px's and Dick Baron is a good guy.

I'm still looking for a set of REAL KO's for a '65 that the current owner is tired of messing with, worried about falling off, buying replacement hammers, etc.

I'll pay a FAIR used price.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:14 AM
mjjansson
6th Gear

Default Finally got the rims off

Since my original post, I have been working intermittently on the rims. I travel every week for employment so only have weekends (which my wife attempts to fill).

After pulling the pins, 3 of the rims came off with some work. The 4th refused to move. Ended up using a 12 pound hammer and a air hammer to get it off. Destroyed the spinner, but since the brakes were bad, it needed to be done.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help and words of encouragement.

Get notified of new replies

To Knock Off Wheels

Old 06-16-2006, 01:33 PM
rahzip
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Aero Kroil from Kano Laboratories. Likely available at an industrial supply outlet. The can says order direct at 615 833-4101. Kano may have a website, but it's not listed on this can.
The Best!!!!!
Old 06-16-2006, 11:03 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

thought I'd post this one for you guys who all ditch the KOs and get the fakey "look guys I have KOs - oh wait they're really just bolt on KO-look alikes"

sorry, I just can't help myself sometimes . . .
Old 06-17-2006, 07:27 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm all for originality.

However, given the time, money, and effort to restore the car - plus everytime I run the car fast and here a noise I don't recognize - I would wonder if a KO wheel was lossening up.

I am pretty persistant about checking before each drive and using marks on the cones and spinners, but it was just a worry that I didn't need.

I switched from KO to BO:

- easier to remove
- the spinners don't get dinged
- piece of mind

Quick Reply: Knock Off Wheels